How do I see if position based OI are actually being applied?

I've recently been experimenting with using some OI in my tactic but I've got a bit of an issue.

In an attempt to avoid having to manually set them every game I've used the Position tab within the Opposition Instructions section. I've set AML/AMR to always be closed down and tackled hard.

However I can't see any indication in game that those instructions are being applied to those positions. They don't show on the OI screen that you can view during matches and my assistant will still recommend tactical changes that should be applied automatically. Case in point in my current game against Man City, Raheem Sterling is playing as an AMR, my instructions should see him being closed down more and tackled hard, but my assistant manager still makes the recommendation that we should close him down.

Do positional OI actually work? Is there any way to see if they're actually being used?

1. Yes, positional OIs work, but are effective only if they make sense in the context of your tactic as a whole (just like any other instruction, for that matter);

2. Do not follow the assistant's advice, because it's based on his - not your - tactical preferences and can hence harm your tactic and (by extension) your team's performance 

1 hour ago, mack4ever said:

They don't show on the OI screen that you can view during matches

They don't show on the default screen, but there is an icon for each opposition player, which you can click on and see which positional OIs are applied to the position of that particular player. 

On FM20 I believe you have to manually select before/during each game if you want to apply individual or positional OIs. By default, individual are applied. Don't know if this is any different on FM21.

I use in every game, but I change them almost each game. Always Tight Mark lone striker, show weaker foot on strikers, if opposition striker has low jumping then show outer foot to wingers; if not then show inner foot,... I notice a big change in performance when I select them after I had forgotten.

On 28/04/2021 at 21:09, mack4ever said:

However I can't see any indication in game that those instructions are being applied to those positions. They don't show on the OI screen that you can view during matches and my assistant will still recommend tactical changes that should be applied automatically.

If you want your positional OIs to be applied, you will have to switch them from individual to positional before every game. You can do that by selecting all players and then switching the little notch next to their name.