How does Italy’s non-EU rule choose which player gets the slot?

I’m aware of the 2 new signings each season rule, my 5th season in Italy now.

But the confusing thing is, I bought a non-EU player (let’s call him A) last season. I didn’t have a non-EU slot, so I loaned him out expecting him to get it next season.

However, I bought  another non-EU player (let’s call him B) at that end of season, expecting B to not get the slot and loan him out.

But when the transfer window opens where A returns from loan and B gets transferred in, player B gets the non-EU slot instead! 

So basically, the newer player gets the non-EU slot, instead of a player I bought earlier and loaned out. 

Is it just a random decision?

Every time I feel I got a grip on the rules, new things just pop up 😂

Seems very straight forward to me. You bought a player and he got the non-EU slot you had open at that time. The loaned out player was never in contention because he was out on loan.

Naturally this could easily be resolved by giving you more control over non-EU slot allocations. 

I personally had a hard time working with the non-EU system in Serie A and can heartily recommend you upgrade to Ligue 1.

2 hours ago, Baodan said:

Seems very straight forward to me. You bought a player and he got the non-EU slot you had open at that time. The loaned out player was never in contention because he was out on loan.

Naturally this could easily be resolved by giving you more control over non-EU slot allocations. 

I personally had a hard time working with the non-EU system in Serie A and can heartily recommend you upgrade to Ligue 1.

Honestly did not seem straight forward to me, but oh well, SI can't fix everything. 

I might just try Ligue 1 for my next save. Can you recommend teams with veterans? Somehow I'm enjoying playing 35 year olds in this year's FM.