Facilities not being upgraded

Hi folks

So a little background: I'm managing Dulwich Hamlet, started a save after the latest update. I've just got them promoted to League 1, so steady progress. In all this time, my board haven't agreed to upgrade my training facilities once. They've agreed to a couple of youth facilities upgrades, but no training. Dulwich start with (and still have!) basic training facilities.

Can anyone help me out with the background processes for getting upgrades to your facilities? I was under the impression that whenever you put a request in, the game essentially 'rolled a dice' and you were approved or not depending on your score. I also believed that you always had a chance to be successful or not, even if your chances one way or another we're very slim. 

I know this is frowned upon, but I've done the save/reload trick numerous times and I always get turned down. I feel like asking for my facilities to be upgraded from basic isn't an unreasonable request. I have about £2.5 mil in the bank, so we can afford it. If there's anything I can do to improve my chances I'd be grateful, or is it possible to be in a situation where it will always be a no? 

Respectfully, I'm not looking for narrative answers that people might use to justify it, more 'game mechanics' answers. Playing FMT if that is significant. 

Thanks for looking people