EURO 2020(1?) football forum average draft

GunmaN1905

54 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

My other CB choice was Jonny Evans and my other CM choice was Granit Xhaka. 

Only other note able ones I’ve had down that didn’t get picked were Jesper Gronkjaer and Jakob Blackowksi (sp) 

I had Xhaka on my list but I've got the voices of other Arsenal fans in my head and their constant complaints about him, and other players like Vermaelen, Lichtsteiner, Mertesacker (not that he was a particularly interesting choice as he was a German SF), Ozil, another CB I can't mention etc. Similar to United fans and another CB I can't mention.

Now I just want to scream that Vincent Kompany and Daniel Van Buyten never made the Euro's (I'm sure there's loads more but they kept cropping up in my desperate search for a CB).

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, managerdude_66 said:

Pretty happy with how the draft turned out really.

1850355_Dream_Team.jpg

Luis Suarez was a pure central midfielder. Maybe swap with Beckham or something. 

I'd also swap the CBs between them. 

image.png.70cf4b36d7701dcfc5b17ceffb5c6022.png

Solid at the back, attacking patterns down both sides, Totti dropping a bit deeper to help Iniesta creatively. Lichtsteiner sitting while Lahm advances from deep. De Boer hitting long balls and spraying passes everywhere. Oceano holding. Emlyn and Radu more cautious on the left as Perisic goes attacking.

I'm happy with this.

Emlyn and Radu can be flipped, both can play left or centre ;) But I prefer Emlyn going forward as he was a midfielder to start out with.

It's not 3 at the back, it's basically a weird 4-4-2. Or a 4-1-4-1 really.

Lahm started as a left back but he did most of his best work on the right, and then Pep made him a midfielder. He's my magic dwarf :D

4 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Yeah, I don't think he ever played as the central defender in back 3.

More of a FB in his younger days.

Haguey managed to get 3 left-backs on the team :lol:

When he broke into the scene, he was a CB, that's where he played for Dinamo Bucharest, he only played DL when the usual starters were suspended or injured. Then he moved to Lazio and started playing more and more on the left, until he almost never featured as DC again. 

Edited by Marius_R

Alright, the draft phase is done, now we have to think of a knockout system because we have 27 teams. :lol:

I'm thinking about some kind of groups, but that might be too big of a task for most people who're voting. :D
Groups as in voting for teams in order from strongest to weakest instead of everyone playing eachother.

And I don't want to give 5 default wins if we go knockouts.

If you can, everyone should give their take of how you want to play this out.
Again, I'm not starting it until Monday so we have plenty of time.

And I always liked when players make a short analysis about their team for the polls.
Especially if you have less known players.

Edited by GunmaN1905

GK - Lev Yashin in sticks, arguably the best thats ever lived.

DR - Ill have that Torricelli, nice hair, gets up and down

DL - Dimas, played for Juve, that will do

DC - Goughy, gets his head on it, gets his foot in the way

DC - Sanchis, dont mess with Sanchis, no striker will enjoy playing against my centre halves

MC - Zizou, nothing more to add

MC - Gazza, pre alcohol

MC - Seedorf, can dictate a game anywhere in the middle

AC - Boksic, powerful, strong, mule of a shot

AC - Mijatovic, that bit of niggle up top

AC - Voller, he will spit in your hair if you cross him

Club Mascot - Fernando Coutos' hair

Edited by bestbrother

8 groups with 5 of them having 3 teams and the others getting 4 teams each, kind of like the Euro qualifiers (except we have less teams here :D). Top 2 go through.

Edited by Darius1998

1 group of 6 and 3 groups of 7 teams, top 4 go through from each group to the last 16. Standard knockout from there.

Darius' idea is good if you want more easier to digest groups though.

Edited by Haguey

Yeah, groups with less teams make more sense because putting 6 teams in order would be a tough task. :D

Or even 9 groups of 3 teams with two second placed teams with least votes not qualifying for the final 16.

Like that I could just make poll options for all possible group outcomes and not use some external polls.

If we have 5 teams per group, it's too many options.

Edited by GunmaN1905

6 hours ago, Baptista_8 said:

LINEUP.jpg

An athletic and reliable back four, protected by Kimmich, who's job is not only to give protection, but also to build attacks. Pepe and Gallas will look to form a formidable partnership to protect Artur Boruc, who is capable of pulling off sublime saves when required.

You have both Kimmich and the world class Xavi to keep possession, start attacks, and look for killer balls, and then the power, skill and pace of Balakov, Barnes and Bale. All three with the ability to beat players, to link with van Persie (who is a great dribbler himself), and to shoot from range.

Barnes will mix it up between going on the inside or the outside, supported by the often overlapping Ricardo Rodriguez. van Persie will look to get on the end of through balls and crosses, but will also drop deep and look to play in Barnes and Bale. Zambrotta and Ricardo Rodriguez will be up and down the flanks, supporting attacks often.

Edited by Baptista_8

23 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

You couldn't think of a better CB than Šimić who wasn't even CB. :lol:

He was a versatile player. :ackter:

Before the final pick, I had my mind on Katanec or Henchoz. Both got taken. And I had a brainfart and completely forgot about Vermaelen. And I had a list of bang average defenders, but none sounded as appealing as Simic, I mean, he's got a World Cup 3rd place medal and is a Champions League winner. :lol: 

Also wanted it to be a modern day player that I got to see play, as were all my picks besides Bonner. (since Katanec was already taken) 

In hindsight, I could've went for a Greek former Dortmund defender. 

Edited by Marius_R

Yeah, really surprised about the number of players played out of position. Balance was my number one priority during the draft:

image.png.a5fec9aabffa85557fb6ba13a8ac5127.png

Angelo Peruzzi: Peruzzi is regarded by pundits as one of the greatest Italian goalkeepers of all time, and as one of the best goalkeepers of his generation. Throughout his career, he played for Italian clubs Roma, Hellas Verona, Juventus, Internazionale and Lazio. He had a highly successful spell with Juventus, where he won three Serie A titles, the Coppa Italia, the UEFA Cup and the UEFA Champions League, among other titles; he won a second Coppa Italia with Lazio before retiring with the club in 2007. At international level, he played 31 times for the Italy national team from his debut in 1995, and was a member of their squad which won the 2006 FIFA World Cup. He also represented them at the 1992 Olympics, at UEFA Euro 1996 (as a starting goalkeeper), and at Euro 2004. Peruzzi was renowned for his physical strength, positioning, explosive reactions, speed, and agility, in spite of his sturdy physique; he particularly excelled at quickly rushing off his line to parry or collect the ball on the ground, as well as at anticipating his opponents outside the penalty area, which made him particularly effective in teams which relied on a zonal marking defensive system with high defensive lines. 

Jan Heintze: played with PSV Eindhoven, winning the European Cup in 1988.  He also played for Bayer Uerdingen and Bayer Leverkusen in the Bundesliga. He played 86 matches for Denmark between 1987 and 2002, but missed the 1992 European Championship because of an injury.  He was their captain for his last two years with the national team.

Gică Popescu: former captain of FC Barcelona and key part of the Romania national team in the 1990s. He played for a string of European clubs in that period, including a four-year stint at PSV Eindhoven and winning the Uefa cup with Galatasaray SK. His tactical knowledge as a defender made him a valuable team member in top European competitions until he reached his late-thirties. Beside from his defending skills, he was also capable starting attacks. 

Milan Škriniar: has been described as a defender who is "a strong tackler who is quick to make clearances". A natural centre-back, he can also be deployed as a defensive midfielder where he also produced outstanding performances with under-21 side. His former youth manager said of him: He [Škriniar] has always been the leader on and off the pitch. He has been described in the media as the successor to former Liverpool icon Martin Škrtel in Slovakia's defensive line. He has also drawn praise from several Italian pundits for his positional sense, as well as his ability in the air, and in one on one situations.

Lilian Thuram: Thuram was a key player for the team that won the 1998 FIFA World Cup; his side also won UEFA Euro 2000, and he was in the squad for the 2006 World Cup (where France finished as runners-up). Thuram was an extremely dominant, consistent, athletic and attentive footballer, who was considered by pundits to be one of the best defenders in the world in his prime. As a defender, he was known for his strength, pace, stamina and his outstanding physical, tactical, and technical attributes, as well as his elegance, intelligence, ability to read the game, his heavy marking of opponents, and his aggressive tackling, which made him difficult to beat in one on one situations; he also excelled in the air. As a full-back, he was known for his ability to make attacking runs up the flank and contribute to his team's offensive play after winning back the ball. A large, powerful and versatile player, who was equally competent offensively as he was defensively, he could play on either flank or in the centre, due to his ability with either foot, often alternating between playing as a centre-back or as a right-back, and was even deployed in midfield on occasion. In spite of his physical and tenacious playing style, he was also known to be a fair player.

Pep Guardiola: Guardiola was a defensive midfielder who usually played in a deep-lying playmaker's role. He spent the majority of his career with Barcelona, forming a part of Johan Cruyff's Dream Team that won the club's first European Cup in 1992, and four successive Spanish league titles from 1991 to 1994. He later captained the team from 1997 until his departure from the club in 2001. Considered one of the best midfielders of his generation by Johan Cruyff, Guardiola was a highly creative, hard-working, nimble, and elegant player, with good anticipation, tactical awareness, and an ability to read the game; throughout his career, he was deployed as a central or defensive midfielder in front of his team's back-line. Although he was competent defensively and able to press opponents to break up play and win the ball, due to his slender build he usually functioned as a deep-lying playmaker, where he excelled courtesy of his technical ability and intelligent, efficient, precise passing game. Despite his lack of notable pace or physical attributes, Guardiola was highly regarded throughout his career for his vision, close control, passing range, positional sense, and calm composure on the ball, which enabled him to retain possession and either set the tempo of his team's play in midfield with intricate short exchanges, or switch the play or create chances with longer passes. Guardiola was capable of being an offensive threat, due to his ability to make attacking runs or strike accurately from distance; he was also effective at creating chances or shooting on goal from set-pieces. Having served as captain of both Barcelona and the Spanish national side, he also stood out for his leadership throughout his career. Guardiola's playing style, which relied on creativity, technique and ball movement, rather than physicality and pace, inspired several future diminutive Spanish playmaking midfielders, such as Xavi, Andrés Iniesta, and Cesc Fàbregas, with the latter describing him as his "idol". Former Barcelona president Joan Laporta once described Guardiola as "the best central midfielder in our history."

Johan Neeskens: As a player, he was an important member of the Dutch national team that finished as runners-up in the 1974 and 1978 FIFA World Cups and is considered to be one of the greatest Dutch midfielders of all time. In 2004, he was named one of the 125 Greatest Living Footballers at a FIFA Awards Ceremony, while in 2017 he has been included in the FourFourTwo list of the 100 all-time greatest players, at the 64th position. Neeskens has been described on the UEFA website as having the "steel-hard midfielder was a tireless runner yet also had nice technique and scored goals, helping to set the stage for Cruyff to shine. One of the first box-to-box midfielders," he was great at pressuring opponents to regain possession too. "He was worth two men in midfield," said teammate Sjaak Swart.

Zlatko Zahovič: after making a name for himself in Europe in Portugal, most notably with Porto and Benfica where he amassed Primeira Liga totals of 246 matches and 54 goals over one full decade, he went on to have brief stints in Spain and Greece. He was known for dribbling and goal-scoring ability alike. Although primarily a midfielder, he scored 11 goals in 32 Champions League appearances and 35 in 80 for the Slovenian national team. The all-time record holder in goals for Slovenia, Zahovič was an essential member of the squad as they qualified for the first time ever to a European Championship and a World Cup, in the early 2000s.

Luis Figo: considered as one of the best Portuguese footballers of all time. Renowned for his creativity and ability to get past defenders as a winger, Figo is regarded as one of the greatest players of his generation. His 106 assists are the second-most in La Liga history, behind Lionel Messi. He won the 2000 Ballon d'Or, 2001 FIFA World Player of the Year, and in 2004 Pelé named him in the FIFA 100 list of the world's greatest living players

Dragan Džajić: widely considered to be one of the best footballers to emerge from former Yugoslavia, and one of the greatest left wingers of all time. Džajić has been known for his "great crosses and passes, unstoppable dribbling with great pace, natural technique and some of the best left footed free kicks ever seen". Džajić is viewed by some football experts as perhaps one of the most underrated players in European football, partly because he played in Yugoslavia. In December 2011, Džajić was named in being part of "the greatest European Championship XI of all time" by Goal.com.

Gerd Müller: widely regarded as one of the greatest goalscorers in the history of the sport. At international level with West Germany, he scored 68 goals in 62 appearances, and at club level, after 15 years with Bayern Munich, he scored a record 365 goals in 427 Bundesliga games and an international record 66 goals in 74 European club games. Averaging over a goal a game with West Germany, Müller is now 19th on the list of all time international goalscorers, despite playing fewer matches than every other player in the top 48. Among the top scorers, he has the third-highest goal-to-game ratio. Nicknamed "Bomber der Nation" ("the nation's Bomber") or simply "Der Bomber", Müller was named European Footballer of the Year in 1970. After a successful season at Bayern Munich, he scored ten goals at the 1970 FIFA World Cup for West Germany where he received the Golden Boot as top goalscorer. In 1972, he won the UEFA European Championship and was the top goalscorer, scoring two goals in the final. Two years later, he scored four goals in the 1974 World Cup, including the winning goal in the final match. Müller held the all-time goal-scoring record in the World Cup with 14 goals for 32 years. In 1999, Müller was ranked ninth in the European player of the Century election held by the International Federation of Football History & Statistics (IFFHS), and he was voted 13th in the IFFHS' World Player of the Century election. In 2004, Pelé named Müller in the FIFA 100 list of the world's greatest living players.

Edited by Sano

image.png.a39b54675deb88805c3b70eae8741309.png

http://www.footballuser.com/1850436/Dream_Team

I'm pretty happy with this on the whole.  It is pretty flexible depending on who we are playing and at the end of the day I want this team to entertain.  Sforza has Sousa covering him when needed and Candreva has a big enough engine to get up and down the right hand side and Laudrup won't mind helping out if needed.  The three at the back have a total of 273 international caps so should work really well together and can help Sforza and Candreva when needed.  They also have Sousa to drop back in.

Up top we have a bit of everything.  Laudrup is happy to take on any defender while Van Basten can score from anywhere.  I can see Gudjohnsen and Scifo linking up really well and there would be a queue for every set piece we had!

Our motto.  However many you score we will get one more!