The Scotland Thread

Sned

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn’t I saying before just what an asset Robbo is out on the left? The delivery, the poise, clearly one of our best players and must be first name on the team sheet :brock:;)

Edited by metallimuse

Just now, Tikka Mezzala said:

That was a ****ing shocking decision. Never a free-kick. 

Agreed. I’d just WhatsApp’d ma English pals (I live in exile amongst them) saying we were winning the Euros an all :ackter:

I think Holland's best shot at this tournament is getting this ref for most of their games. They've looked very average. Lots of positives for us, however. We should have won. Minus some important players. 

Bring on Luxembourg!

3 hours ago, Heartwork said:

Nisbet and Hendry feel like they've justified their callups.

NIsbet has to start on Sunday for me. 

The lad is going to become a quality striker. 

I would like to thank Dunfermline for letting us buy him. 

5 hours ago, StevehFC said:

If he has some game time and gets some goals in the Euros then it will raise his price tag which is great for you guys.

Good performance last night and it shows we have players to fall back on if needed.  Is it wrong that my confidence is increasing?!  Actually, I will wait until after the Luxembourg game before I make any bold predictions!  :D

On 03/06/2021 at 00:48, StevehFC said:

I'm giving Raith the credit for giving him a chance to turn his career around after being let go by Patrick. Came to us and scored 30+ goals before leaving for Dunfermline. 

2 minutes ago, Gary_Parker said:

Yeah, the pair of them are just god awful, genuinely rather listen to Charlie Nicholas butcher his way through words than this pair.

I wouldnt go quite as far as to say I would rather listen to Charlie Nicholas though. lol

2 minutes ago, Hairycull said:

I wouldnt go quite as far as to say I would rather listen to Charlie Nicholas though. lol

Meh, Nicholas at least provides some entertainment with his pronunciation of words, this pair are just mind numbing 

Yeah, he's been on a few of the BBC Championship games too. He's decent. Michael Stewart on the other hand...not so much. :D

A bit of a nothing first half there, Luxembourg looked dangerous a few times, the red card has just killed them off, their number 10, Fernandes is going to be sent off for diving though, he's throwing himself around a lot. Dykes and Adams have been lively but not too productive aside from the goal. 

Its also another half where I don't think they've really mentioned Callum MacGregors name at all. 

I quite like Crocker. Provan, Nicholas, McCann etcetera are awful, though. I'll never forget Neil McCann pulling out the rule book at Celtic Park a few years ago :lol:

I remember the old Only An Excuse sketches of SlySports, with Jim White and Nicholas. They weren't far off the cringiness of the real thing. 

Love how the commentators have been talking all game about how many options Clarke has in terms of shape and formation yet the minute James Forrest has come on all they're talking about is how he can be the right wingback for this current shape :lol:

9 hours ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

Scotland 4-0 Luxembourg. That's my prediction. A good convincing win ahead of the Czechs. 

Scrappy 1-0 win alright for you? Doesn't matter how you get them as long as you get the wins.

1 minute ago, Heartwork said:

Scrappy 1-0 win alright for you? Doesn't matter how you get them as long as you get the wins.

Its not been scrappy. We have missed a few sitters.

We dont handle being favourites very well.

Being the underdogs for the Euros suits us very well.

You can see why Clarke is playing with a midfield 3 and two strikers, the wide players in the squad are fairly weak, neither Fraser or Forrest look great on the ball, Forrest did very little in his time on the pitch. 

Gilmour looks quality, Patterson has absolutely done himself no harm, Nisbet needs some time to get up to speed but already looks a step up from Shankland in the squad. 

Gota love the Sky coverage tonight. Gave 5 minutes before kick off to talk about team news and then 1 minute after the final whistle.

On STV we have 45 minutes build up for the England game and 20 minutes at the end of the match.

2 minutes ago, Gary_Parker said:

You can see why Clarke is playing with a midfield 3 and two strikers, the wide players in the squad are fairly weak, neither Fraser or Forrest look great on the ball, Forrest did very little in his time on the pitch. 

Gilmour looks quality, Patterson has absolutely done himself no harm, Nisbet needs some time to get up to speed but already looks a step up from Shankland in the squad. 

I think it was hard for Fraser and Forrest to have much of an impact due to them being down to 10 men and sitting so deep. Forrest looked like he was being pushed more central than he likes because Patterson was so high up.

Gilmour is gonna be some player. 

22 minutes ago, Hairycull said:

Gota love the Sky coverage tonight. Gave 5 minutes before kick off to talk about team news and then 1 minute after the final whistle.

On STV we have 45 minutes build up for the England game and 20 minutes at the end of the match.

Sky only give a **** about Scottish football for four games a season. They couldn’t even be arsed using up their 48 game allocation for the Scottish Premiership.

All looking positive in the squad. Brilliant.

Meanwhile, back at Mount Doom, the Scottish Government are doing their absolute level best to make sure they kick the very concept of joy to death. Despite the much vaunted fan parks being more or less on their way to built (a couple of big screens with all the branding up in Glasgow Green this afternoon, and a lot of the park blocked off), the Government are taking every opportunity to say how there's no guarantee it'll happen.  Then in a fairly new development, it's come out that there will be no food and drink available inside Hampden at the games.  None.  But don't worry, football fans, there'll be free bottled water (while stocks last).  An absolutely horrific decision, meaning that some of those who have been given early entry (everyone's been given a 30 minute window to enter the stadium, and some of them are up to three hours before kick off) may be having to survive five hours, outdoors, in what looks like significant heat, living on whatever water they manage to distribute.  And just to put that into perspective, if you went to the stadium for the earliest entry, assaulted a policeman, and were then promptly arrested and huckled into a cell, then you would likely eat and drink before some of the people in the stadium.  Prisoners are entitled to all the water they need, and food after four hours. So prisoners are literally getting a better deal than the fans inside Hampden.

But I know what you're thinking, that sounds awful and all that, but it's not all bad.  Although your concessions stands will be closed, and you won't be able to get a flat coke or a disappointing pie, UEFA have you covered.  The merchandise stands will remain open.  I wish I was joking.

8 hours ago, Gary_Parker said:

I'm giving Raith the credit for giving him a chance to turn his career around after being let go by Patrick. Came to us and scored 30+ goals before leaving for Dunfermline. 

Are Raith due any percentage of any future transfer fee or is that just for Dunfermline. 

Just now, StevehFC said:

Are Raith due any percentage of any future transfer fee or is that just for Dunfermline. 

Just Dunfermline, we had a contract with him that had a non-promotion release clause which he activated after we lost the playoff's. Gutted about that, he's such a good player at this SPL level, I hope he kicks on further. I believe Dunfermline also get some cash for international caps. 

9 hours ago, StevehFC said:

Gilmour has to start against Czech Republic.

I just came in to post this Steve.  He makes the game look so easy!  A midfield three of him, McTominay and McGinn looks like the way to go.  Dykes and Adams up top.  Our weakness does look like the RWB spot as well as the CBs.  O'Donnell probably deserves to start and while Patterson looked good at times last night he is not convincing defensively.  In saying that, Patterson was playing as part of a four last night so he would have more cover as part of a five.

I would start Marshall as GK as well.

I think the only starting spot in doubt Monday is the third centre back.

I think for Stevie he will choose Marsh, Tierney, Hanley, ?, Robertson, O’Donnell, McTominay, McGinn, McGregor, Adams and Dykes. I think that’s what he sees as his starting eleven.

I suspect Gallagher will probs get the nod. 

Does he maybe look past the game itself though and look at the other games which on paper are tougher and think to maybe rest a few of his players with the last two games in mind? I’d try and get the win in this one and hope to take a point in the other two seeing as four 3rd best teams now also get through.

What happened to McTominay at CB? He has played there for all of Clarkes games except 1 or 2 games.

Hendry has done a really good job and I fully expect him to be one of the CB's.

Gilmour is gonna be some player but I think its too soon for him. He had an impressive 20-30 minutes yes but it was against Luxemburg. When he came on against the Netherlands he didnt do much.

13 hours ago, forameuss said:

All looking positive in the squad. Brilliant.

Meanwhile, back at Mount Doom, the Scottish Government are doing their absolute level best to make sure they kick the very concept of joy to death. Despite the much vaunted fan parks being more or less on their way to built (a couple of big screens with all the branding up in Glasgow Green this afternoon, and a lot of the park blocked off), the Government are taking every opportunity to say how there's no guarantee it'll happen.  Then in a fairly new development, it's come out that there will be no food and drink available inside Hampden at the games.  None.  But don't worry, football fans, there'll be free bottled water (while stocks last).  An absolutely horrific decision, meaning that some of those who have been given early entry (everyone's been given a 30 minute window to enter the stadium, and some of them are up to three hours before kick off) may be having to survive five hours, outdoors, in what looks like significant heat, living on whatever water they manage to distribute.  And just to put that into perspective, if you went to the stadium for the earliest entry, assaulted a policeman, and were then promptly arrested and huckled into a cell, then you would likely eat and drink before some of the people in the stadium.  Prisoners are entitled to all the water they need, and food after four hours. So prisoners are literally getting a better deal than the fans inside Hampden.

But I know what you're thinking, that sounds awful and all that, but it's not all bad.  Although your concessions stands will be closed, and you won't be able to get a flat coke or a disappointing pie, UEFA have you covered.  The merchandise stands will remain open.  I wish I was joking.

In usual circumstances, I do understand why you aren't allowed to bring in any food/drink to a game, but in this situation why on earth are you not allowed to bring in anything with you? I suppose they'd argue that people would 'smuggle' alcohol in, but why not allow food at least to go with the free water being distributed? Absolute madness to expect people to sit in a ground for up to 3 hours pre-game, then during the match and half-time, and not being allowed to eat anything. Shambles.

38 minutes ago, Hairycull said:

Gilmour is gonna be some player but I think its too soon for him. He had an impressive 20-30 minutes yes but it was against Luxemburg.

Would agree with this. Don't think it's long until Gilmour gets himself into that team and stays there, but even with his talent I think it's a bit of a risk to chuck him into the lineup for this tournament. The kid is some player already though so I wouldn't be too disappointed if SC took a gamble and started him. McGregor has really struggled for form the last year, but I think SC really trusts him and I'd be shocked if he doesn't stick with him.

I know it's maybe a controversial view, but I'd drop McGregor. I'd also be going with Patterson ahead of O'Donnell. I know Patterson is a young boy, but he's confident and looks capable. I wouldn't have any major fears about throwing him in against the Czechs.