The Scotland Thread

Sned

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 15/06/2021 at 01:10, Christmas said:

O'Donnell should not play again for a Scotland team. He was panic stations in his pants all games.

Don't know who Scozia RB was tonight but he looked OK..... 

Adams excellent. 

Tierney excellent, McTominay excellent. Brick Toilethouse excellent. 

Sterling? 0/10

4 minutes ago, bestbrother said:

Croatia are there to be beaten though. Its not a team to fear, yes they can be creative... but they can be exposed if you take it to them.

We need to just drive at them early, put them on the backfoot and make them react.

I just feel like we've been in this situation in qualifiers before. Feeling that the opportunity is there to be grasped, and then we just seem to freeze. Croatia have been well below par so far, but this is a side that has some cracking players and got to a World Cup final. We can't for a moment go into the game expecting them to keep playing as they have been. 

It'll be another tense affair. But we can do it. If we keep our heads, it can be done. 

1 minute ago, Hairycull said:

Am i right in thinking the best we can hope for is 3rd because the Czechs beat us? Unless they beat England and we manage to get our goal difference up and better than England's?

Yeah, I think it goes on head to head first so we can't finish above the Czechs.

1 minute ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

I just feel like we've been in this situation in qualifiers before. Feeling that the opportunity is there to be grasped, and then we just seem to freeze. Croatia have been well below par so far, but this is a side that has some cracking players and got to a World Cup final. We can't for a moment go into the game expecting them to keep playing as they have been. 

It'll be another tense affair. But we can do it. If we keep our heads, it can be done. 

Yeah its nice to be in the position where it comes down to the final game at least.

Thing is 3rd with a win could well be enough.

Group A - Swiss have to beat Turkey to get 4pts

Group B - Finland cant lose vs Belgium

Group C - Austria vs Ukraine, where a draw could hurt as they both will be 0 GD

Those are the 3 groups where id expect 2 teams to finish in 3rd with less than 3pts.. or worse off.

AND, all 3 are decided before our final matchday.

Just now, Hairycull said:

Well if we win on Tuesday lets hope that 4 points is enough. But knowing our luck............

Yeah, to be honest I am not sure that I would have taken it if you'd told me before the tournament started that we'd need to beat Croatia to get out of the group :D Always felt like the Czech game was always the best chance of a win, and it's frustrating that there wasn't actually that much between us on Monday.

The Czechs are better than they've been given credit for. But I agree that we were very unlucky against them. It's just great to go into the final game with something to play for. We were actually unlucky not to nick the game tonight. 

A lot to be positive about. 

Just now, Tikka Mezzala said:

The Czechs are better than they've been given credit for. But I agree that we were very unlucky against them. It's just great to go into the final game with something to play for. We were actually unlucky not to nick the game tonight. 

A lot to be positive about. 

Aye, they looked really good against Croatia and I think they are fairly decent, but they are still the weakest of our opponents in the group :)

And yeah, it's in our own hands in the final group game, which is nice :D

1 hour ago, bestbrother said:

Croatia are there to be beaten though. Its not a team to fear, yes they can be creative... but they can be exposed if you take it to them.

We need to just drive at them early, put them on the backfoot and make them react.

an early goal will light the blue touch paper

just a case of getting one :D actually quite shocked at the English response to this game, I mentioned it in the match thread - half of the Scotland starting lineup plays in the PL (or at least one of them will next season, Hanley) it's not like they were playing San Marino

Everything set up nicely for yet another glorious campaign that fails at the last moment when Scotland win but just fail to get through in third- I really hope not as just once I would take a jammy set of results rather than glorious and courageous failure

1 minute ago, FrazT said:

Everything set up nicely for yet another glorious campaign that fails at the last moment when Scotland win but just fail to get through in third- I really hope not as just once I would take a jammy set of results rather than glorious and courageous failure

I honestly think 2 of the 3 groups that finish before, will give us an idea of what is needed. I reckon a win should be enough bar a few upsets

Lol.

It's a shame we're celebrating a 0-0 draw, but in the circumstances it's a great result.  Only disappointment is that on the balance of play, we probably deserved the win.  England were utterly rancid, and aside from an opening ten to fifteen where they seemed to be taking McTominay out of the game with balls over the top at will, they decided to just...do nothing.  Can remember them having three decent chances, and that was about it.  We had just as many, if not more, albeit not the highest quality ones.  11 absolute heroes on the pitch, don't think anyone put a foot wrong.  

Now Tuesday...deary me.  The least you can hope for as a team like Scotland is to still be in with a chance going into the final game, and we've got that.  But can we do it? Of course we can, but it remains to be seen whether Clarke can set up a team to go out and get the win we need.  He proved last night he can perfectly set up to nullify a stronger team, but I'm not sure we can afford to take that approach and hope one of our shots goes in.

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

Lol.

It's a shame we're celebrating a 0-0 draw, but in the circumstances it's a great result.  Only disappointment is that on the balance of play, we probably deserved the win.  England were utterly rancid, and aside from an opening ten to fifteen where they seemed to be taking McTominay out of the game with balls over the top at will, they decided to just...do nothing.  Can remember them having three decent chances, and that was about it.  We had just as many, if not more, albeit not the highest quality ones.  11 absolute heroes on the pitch, don't think anyone put a foot wrong.  

Now Tuesday...deary me.  The least you can hope for as a team like Scotland is to still be in with a chance going into the final game, and we've got that.  But can we do it? Of course we can, but it remains to be seen whether Clarke can set up a team to go out and get the win we need.  He proved last night he can perfectly set up to nullify a stronger team, but I'm not sure we can afford to take that approach and hope one of our shots goes in.

The problem is we have nothing else but to hope one of our shots go in, we just don't have a sustained attacking presence yet. There is promise in the Dykes and Adams partnership but neither of them are an out and out goal threat, we're relying on luck more often than not. However we can absolutely do it on Tuesday, we've put ourselves into a great position after the disappointment of game 1, we have to build on that momentum. I'd probably look to get McTominay back into the midfield to hassle the Croatia midfield 3 alongside McGinn and Gilmour. 

IF we get a goal on Tuesday, I'd say it's more likely to be a defender or midfielder from a set piece than the two guys upfront

not saying either didn't play well yesterday but I just can't see goals

10 hours ago, HOORAY HENRIK said:

Did anyone watch the ITV coverage? Lee Dixon claiming McGinn was basically knackered after 20 mins and wouldn’t last. He literally plays week in week out in the EPL. Acting like he was some sort of unfit pub player who couldn’t handle the better boys :D

Lee Dixon is terrible and he doesn't hide his dislike for Scotland. When we drew with the Netherlands last month, we switched over for the rest of the England game where he was co-commentator. The commentator said that the Netherlands had scored a late equaliser. He said "good. I can't pretend to be disappointed by that".

29 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

I can't believe the improvement in Grant Handley. We used to call him bomb scare Handley but he has been outstanding in the last few games.

Was excellent for Norwich too this season. 

43 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

Lee Dixon is terrible and he doesn't hide his dislike for Scotland. When we drew with the Netherlands last month, we switched over for the rest of the England game where he was co-commentator. The commentator said that the Netherlands had scored a late equaliser. He said "good. I can't pretend to be disappointed by that".

To be fair, the feeling is mutual :D. 

Not gonna be angry at an Englishman for wanting Scotland to fail. 

1 hour ago, Gary_Parker said:

The problem is we have nothing else but to hope one of our shots go in, we just don't have a sustained attacking presence yet. There is promise in the Dykes and Adams partnership but neither of them are an out and out goal threat, we're relying on luck more often than not. However we can absolutely do it on Tuesday, we've put ourselves into a great position after the disappointment of game 1, we have to build on that momentum. I'd probably look to get McTominay back into the midfield to hassle the Croatia midfield 3 alongside McGinn and Gilmour. 

I wouldn't change the side. I think everyone merits a place in the team for Tuesday again. 

2 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

To be fair, the feeling is mutual :D. 

Not gonna be angry at an Englishman for wanting Scotland to fail. 

I rooted for Scotland, wanting their win, even if it would complicate the position of Croatia. Last game better not be a draw, though. Someone has to go through.

32 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

I wouldn't change the side. I think everyone merits a place in the team for Tuesday again. 

I agree they all do, but I saw the England line up as a team to play them specifically, we maybe need something different against Croatia. Wouldn't be complaining if we did line up the same though. 

32 minutes ago, Bunkerossian said:

I rooted for Scotland, wanting their win, even if it would complicate the position of Croatia. Last game better not be a draw, though. Someone has to go through.

I think Scotland would have enjoyed the support of most neutrals last night. 

It would be sad for both our teams to go out on two points. It should be a very good game. Two countries that have passionate followings. Some really good players involved too. I know people have been slating the Croatia team, but I rate guys like Rebic, Kovacic, Brozovic, Perisic etc. I think maybe Croatia have lacked fluency, and maybe the roles distribution/team selection is wrong, but it's not a lack of quality. Scotland have some excellent players too. Tierney, Robertson, McGinn, Gilmour. McGregor, and McTominay are all really good on their day. We're lucky to have them. Maybe we need a marquee forward player that can win games for us, like Bale has done for Wales, Lewandowski for Poland, and Schick is doing for the Czechs. But from back to middle, we're looking pretty good. I'm sure there will be plenty of passion involved. The Croatia fans have been in good spirits in the city centre of Glasgow. 

16 minutes ago, Gary_Parker said:

I agree they all do, but I saw the England line up as a team to play them specifically, we maybe need something different against Croatia. Wouldn't be complaining if we did line up the same though. 

I think we need more creativity and attacking potency in the side. If we could keep the bulk of this team for a good few years and unearth an attacking talent that could get us enough goals to turn single points into three points, we'd be in a very good place. Last night could easily have been three points if big moments had fallen to confident goal getters. It was the same against the Czech Republic. 

8 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

I think Scotland would have enjoyed the support of most neutrals last night. 

It would be sad for both our teams to go out on two points. It should be a very good game. Two countries that have passionate followings. Some really good players involved too. I know people have been slating the Croatia team, but I rate guys like Rebic, Kovacic, Brozovic, Perisic etc. I think maybe Croatia have lacked fluency, and maybe the roles distribution/team selection is wrong, but it's not a lack of quality. Scotland have some excellent players too. Tierney, Robertson, McGinn, Gilmour. McGregor, and McTominay are all really good on their day. We're lucky to have them. Maybe we need a marquee forward player that can win games for us, like Bale has done for Wales, Lewandowski for Poland, and Schick is doing for the Czechs. But from back to middle, we're looking pretty good. I'm sure there will be plenty of passion involved. The Croatia fans have been in good spirits in the city centre of Glasgow. 

A functional formation with players that fit it matters more than quality. We have two class playmakers, and for that reason, no proper destroyer can get into the midfield, even though we are pathetic without a destroyer. And Brozović isn't a pure destroyer, which is a must in 4-2-3-1. Our most technically gifted strikers are lazy- one can't even play alone up top. It will be a very good game for you, though.

2 hours ago, TM said:

IF we get a goal on Tuesday, I'd say it's more likely to be a defender or midfielder from a set piece than the two guys upfront

not saying either didn't play well yesterday but I just can't see goals

Agreed, and it's why I've been very frustrated with how ****-poor a lot of our crossing & set pieces have been. We've wasted a lot of them either failing to get past the first man, or simply thrown into an area where no one is. Got to be much better on Tuesday with them.

I thought we played really well last night and were unlucky not to get the goal.  O'Donnell was my Man of the Match, he was superb after taking so much criticism from all corners.  Gilmour showing that he should have started the last game.  Ultimately I think it will be that first game that costs us and that was down to a poor team selection from Clarke, he was unlucky not to have Tierney available for that game though.  It's great to have a chance going in to the last game though and if we can find a way to score we should have a good chance of going through on 4 points.

The coverage last night from ITV was embarrassing.  Matterface and Dixon were awful, biased and seemingly unable to report what was actually happening on the pitch.  It's a good job Keane and Neville were there to at least give some decent insight into the game.  Matterface continuing to pedal the rhetoric of the courageous Scots despite us being the better team.  England had one decent chance and that came from a corner!  I think Marshall had one save to make all night.

Anyway, on to Tuesday!  :)

11 minutes ago, Jorg said:

I thought we played really well last night and were unlucky not to get the goal.  O'Donnell was my Man of the Match, he was superb after taking so much criticism from all corners.  Gilmour showing that he should have started the last game.  Ultimately I think it will be that first game that costs us and that was down to a poor team selection from Clarke, he was unlucky not to have Tierney available for that game though.  It's great to have a chance going in to the last game though and if we can find a way to score we should have a good chance of going through on 4 points.

The coverage last night from ITV was embarrassing.  Matterface and Dixon were awful, biased and seemingly unable to report what was actually happening on the pitch.  It's a good job Keane and Neville were there to at least give some decent insight into the game.  Matterface continuing to pedal the rhetoric of the courageous Scots despite us being the better team.  England had one decent chance and that came from a corner!  I think Marshall had one save to make all night.

Anyway, on to Tuesday!  :)

You should have watched it on STV player instead, chief.

I cant see some of the players playing against Croatia simply because some will be knackered after all that effort.

I would like to see Forrest on the right and maybe being Fraser on for Dykes as he has to be knackered.

Also I wonder if Gordon might get a game in goals

Just now, Hairycull said:

I'd stick with Marshall. He's played well and got us here, would be mega harsh to drop him for the last group game. Do we really want to chop and change the goalie? Not like Gordon is objectively better, either.

26 minutes ago, Hairycull said:

I cant see some of the players playing against Croatia simply because some will be knackered after all that effort.

I would like to see Forrest on the right and maybe being Fraser on for Dykes as he has to be knackered.

Has to be the same team for me. Let's go for it. 

17 hours ago, HOORAY HENRIK said:

Did anyone watch the ITV coverage? Lee Dixon claiming McGinn was basically knackered after 20 mins and wouldn’t last. He literally plays week in week out in the EPL. Acting like he was some sort of unfit pub player who couldn’t handle the better boys :D

I thought he said Gilmour, either way I think it was part of an act from Dixon but it came across as ignorant. McCoist ftw

20 minutes ago, Citizen Kane said:

I thought he said Gilmour, either way I think it was part of an act from Dixon but it came across as ignorant. McCoist ftw

Aye I thought they were talking about Gilmour getting a second wind.

I’d probably keep the team the same but I’d be more trigger happy with the subs. Same side for first 45 then I’d put Nisbet on for Dykes at half time, Forrest for O’Donnell at half time and then see where we are around the hour/70 minute mark.

Edited by metallimuse