The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

1 hour ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Why is Walker playing then? Because he's older. By far your worst player and has looked like the only weak link so far.

Definitely not. I wouldn't go so far as to call him MotM, but his pace may have saved England in a couple massive moments. Maguire was solid. Stones was lucky Germany didn't take their chances. Rice was poor as well. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Barry Cartman said:

What you talking about, you have Dwight 'better than Sterling' Gayle 

Ah man, even thinking about club football makes me absolutely miserable.

Callum Wilson would probably make the NT squad if he wasn’t eternally injured.

I mean we're best to leave it now but ajw was calling people weirdos earlier because they said Saka was only a good young player instead of a good player. Barry has been picking up on any criticism of Sterling pretty much all day today.

If it makes you feel better to say it's just me though I'm more than happy to take it.

Edited by Baptista_8

I think it’s been really clear that Phillips is a level above Rice at this tournament. I think Rice is a good player but I don’t think he’s a midfielder long term at top international level. He’s simply not good enough with the ball or off it when we have possession.

Just now, Smallen said:

I think it’s been really clear that Phillips is a level above Rice at this tournament. I think Rice is a good player but I don’t think he’s a midfielder long term at top international level. He’s simply not good enough with the ball or off the ball when we have possession.

Phillips has always been a very good DM, but he's gone a level up as a holding player, but also shown amazing versatility at a level he simply hadn't shown before. Phillips better in every facet imo

I’d rather put out the best team we can for the next match and if that risks players getting suspended for a potential semi final then so be it.

There’s a risk in over thinking things and end up going out because we’re too busy looking at the left match rather than the upcoming one. 

6 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Think it's a good game to protect some important players, and get some game time into players like Henderson

Absolutely. Ideally, you'd be able to protect Maguire as well, but that might be too big of a risk. 

2 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

And that's exactly the mentality that results in a loss to an underdog in the quarterfinals.

Not really. Henderson is a more than capable replacement

Mings played both our starting games and played well.

England have a squad where you're able to bring players in and not drop a level in performance.

9 minutes ago, Smallen said:

I think it’s been really clear that Phillips is a level above Rice at this tournament. I think Rice is a good player but I don’t think he’s a midfielder long term at top international level. He’s simply not good enough with the ball or off it when we have possession.

6 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Phillips has always been a very good DM, but he's gone a level up as a holding player, but also shown amazing versatility at a level he simply hadn't shown before. Phillips better in every facet imo

I'd say it's more like two or three levels. I've never gotten the hype with Rice. Always feel like I'm watching a CB, that isn't especially good on the ball, forced to play in midfield out of necessity. 

5 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

And that's exactly the mentality that results in a loss to an underdog in the quarterfinals.

Premier League and Champions League winning captain Jordan Henderson is hardly a downgrade.

It’s a squad game. There’s only three outfield players that haven’t featured so far.

Just now, Rob1981 said:

Premier League and Champions League winning captain Jordan Henderson is hardly a downgrade.

It’s a squad game. There’s only three outfield players that haven’t featured so far.

White, DCL and Coady?

Edited by ajw10

1 minute ago, ajw10 said:

White, DCL and?

White, Chilwell and Godfrey.

DCL got on against Croatia or Scotland, can’t remember which.

EDIT: Not Godfrey, I mean Coady. Godfrey was bumped from the final 26.

Edited by Rob1981

2 minutes ago, XuluBak said:

I'd say it's more like two or three levels. I've never gotten the hype with Rice. Always feel like I'm watching a CB, that isn't especially good on the ball, forced to play in midfield out of necessity. 

He has fantastic anticipation in defensive situations and great timing when tackling. I wish a bigger team would take him and play him at CB as it would solve a problem position for us long term.

9 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Absolutely, England's biggest strength is the flexibility and depth of the squad. Not using it would be hamstringing ourselves

If you really think you're not going to lose even one percentage point of cohesion by swapping out players then sure, go ahead and rotate. Not being an England expert I'm only rehashing the old wisdom of previous winning teams like Germany in 2014 and France 2018. Change the team only when you have to, not because you want to avoid a booking or rest someone, or even by caring too much what the opposition does. Usually best to not think beyond the game at hand, but what do I know.

40 minutes ago, XuluBak said:

Yeah not a fan either. Always put it down to just not watching enough of West Ham (or England outside of tournaments), but he's either overrated or just not my type of player. 

44 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

If you really think you're not going to lose even one percentage point of cohesion by swapping out players then sure, go ahead and rotate. Not being an England expert I'm only rehashing the old wisdom of previous winning teams like Germany in 2014 and France 2018. Change the team only when you have to, not because you want to avoid a booking or rest someone, or even by caring too much what the opposition does. Usually best to not think beyond the game at hand, but what do I know.

We've changed players this tournament already. We've made at least one change for every game we've played. We're literally talking recalling a player who is always first choice and would have been bar Covid protocols (Mount), the centre back who started the first two matches (Mings) and one of England's most experienced players (Henderson) and likely going back to the formation the team knows well (4-3-3/4-2-3-1). Nothing the side hasn't already been doing this tournament...

1 hour ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

Dude, it's Ukraine and then Denmark/Czech Republic. They can change the entire XI and still win each of those by a couple of goals. The only players they have to keep in are probably Pickford, and one of Stones and Maguire. The rest can all swap out and the players coming in will do the job against those teams. The players coming in would probably do a decent job against better teams too.

6 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Dude, it's Ukraine and then Denmark/Czech Republic.

Denmark beat us less than 12 months ago. Czech Republic beat us less than two years ago. Don't know about anyone else but I'm not taking anything for granted.

Don't expect you or anyone else to, but as a non-England fan who can look at it dispassionately, I can easily say it for you. You'll beat both of those teams handily, providing there's no weird **** like a player pulling an Unai Simón or a referee wanting attention.

I also wouldn't put too much stock in those games when there's evidence the team have improved a bit since then. You've cited a Czech Republic game from....2019? When England beat them playing in third gear about a week ago. Very weird. And that loss was away from home, even less relevant.

Very weird :D

I'm just saying you can't take these teams for granted. Whether it was two years ago or not, people would have assumed we would beat them then. I'd forgotten it was an away game tbf.

I think we will win our next two games but time will tell.

6 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Don't expect you or anyone else to, but as a non-England fan who can look at it dispassionately, I can easily say it for you. You'll beat both of those teams handily, providing there's no weird **** like a player pulling an Unai Simón or a referee wanting attention.

I also wouldn't put too much stock in those games when there's evidence the team have improved a bit since then. You've cited a Czech Republic game from....2019? When England beat them playing in third gear about a week ago. Very weird. And that loss was away from home, even less relevant.

England should beat both even if they rest players. Not sure what the benefit of resting players is though (haven't read every post to know why people are asking for it).

15 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

England should beat both even if they rest players. Not sure what the benefit of resting players is though (haven't read every post to know why people are asking for it).

The conversation was about avoiding suspensions for the 4 on yellow cards, but you couldn't really rest all of them, but picking out the ones you could. It was entirely about the QF

5 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

The conversation was about avoiding suspensions for the 4 on yellow cards, but you couldn't really rest all of them, but picking out the ones you could. It was entirely about the QF

Hmm. I don't think it matters too much personally. You should be beating Ukraine without any of the 4, but you should beat Denmark (I assume) without them too if they do pick up a booking.

I'd just go without whatever you thought the best 11 was and if someone misses the semi, so be it.

On a related note, the yellow card rules are too harsh in my view. Seems nonsense you can get 2 yellows in 5 games and miss the semi final.

Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

Hmm. I don't think it matters too much personally. You should be beating Ukraine without any of the 4, but you should beat Denmark (I assume) without them too if they do pick up a booking.

I'd just go without whatever you thought the best 11 was and if someone misses the semi, so be it.

On a related note, the yellow card rules are too harsh in my view. Seems nonsense you can get 2 yellows in 5 games and miss the semi final.

Both DMs are on a yellow so I definitely would want to protect one (Phillips)

1 minute ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I know those two, think 1 other is Maguire? Not sure who the 4th is.

But yeah fair enough wanting to rest one of the two in that case.

Foden is the 4th. Would rest Phillips for sure. Maguire and Rice as maybes. Think Foden would be safe to start. 

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Foden is the 4th. Would rest Phillips for sure. Maguire and Rice as maybes. Think Foden would be safe to start. 

I think Foden having to be rested for the 3rd game to avoid a ban, yet still being a possible card away from a ban sums up my issue with it.

Should be either 3 yellows for a ban or wiped after the first knockout round.

2 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I think Foden having to be rested for the 3rd game to avoid a ban, yet still being a possible card away from a ban sums up my issue with it.

Should be either 3 yellows for a ban or wiped after the first knockout round.

Yeah the rule is ridiculous

3 hours ago, Astafjevs said:

Dude, it's Ukraine and then Denmark/Czech Republic. They can change the entire XI and still win each of those by a couple of goals. The only players they have to keep in are probably Pickford, and one of Stones and Maguire. The rest can all swap out and the players coming in will do the job against those teams. The players coming in would probably do a decent job against better teams too.

You mean just like France handily beat Switzerland by a couple of goals and how Italy smashed Austria 5-0?

5 hours ago, Astafjevs said:

Did anyone else's mind just picture Mateu Lahoz when they read "referee wanting attention"?