Match 51 THE FINAL: Italy vs England - 8pm Sunday BBC1 AND ITV1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 at the back is a mistake against Italy, imo.

Was a good choice against Germany, but if Mancini had to choose, he'd prefer England playing with 3 at the back.

As you already said, England needs to exploit slow CBs and questionable full-backs. But if there are no actual wingers, it becomes way easier for Italy.

On the other side, while English defense is way better than Belgium's, it will be way easier for Italian 4 ball-carries to attack space. If you noticed, Barella is always out there wide on the right with Chiesa.  And I'm not sure putting an extra CB on that side will help England because neither Stones or Maguire have the pace to deal with them.

Fielding Henderson instead of Mount if he really wants to go defensive would be a better choice against Italy, imo.

Immobile doesn't really offer anything and it's pointless to add another defender when Italy isn't attacking through the middle.

Edited by GunmaN1905

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

I thought Henderson would have started tonight. Rice and Phillips have done really well but just seems crazy to me that you would leave all that PL and Champions League winning experience on the bench if he’s fully fit.

Probably still the one question mark around Southgate for me, is he ruthless enough to drop one of the lads that has got us here.

Don't lose faith in Gareth now.

I think whatever team he puts out, it will be the perfect choice. His subs will also be made at exactly the right time, not when people are saying "come on, this isn't working".

Also people can accuse Southgate of “playing it safe”. But to me playing it safe would have been sticking with the same team as the semi final. 

He’s picking the team he thinks right for the occasion and the opposition. Rather than closing his eyes and hoping. And he has to get credit for that.

Edited by Mr Adam

5 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

Also people can accuse Southgate of “playing it safe”. But to me playing it safe would have been sticking with the same team as the semi final. 

He’s picking the team he thinks right for the occasion and the opposition. Rather than closing his eyes and hoping. And he has to get credit for that.

I don't think there is any world where going from a back 4 to a back 5 is not a playing it safe move tbf, whether its right obviously time will tell but cant say im a fan of a back 5 and mount on the wing. Just seems unnecessary. 

Think people might be overplaying the “run at two old center backs” card. They’ve been old all tournament and are in the final.

Plus now we have the likes of Sancho, Saka and Grealish to bring on and run at TIRED old center backs.

I have faith in Sir Gaz

4 minutes ago, Marc Albrighton said:

I don't think there is any world where going from a back 4 to a back 5 is not a playing it safe move tbf, whether its right obviously time will tell but cant say im a fan of a back 5 and mount on the wing. Just seems unnecessary. 

Depends how forward the wing backs get I guess.

I meant more that it would have been dead easy for Southgate to send out the same team. He’s taking a risk by putting out the team he thinks will work for this match, rather than the one that has worked last time and the one most of us numbskulls want.

1 minute ago, RTHerringbone said:

And I'm not sure Neville's theoretical "Kane drops deep and pulls the central defender(s) out of position" works here. It's Bonucci and Chiellini, not some young, inexperienced defenders.

This game could be tighter than a ducks arse 🦆

And Kane has been doing it all tournament. They’ll be so ready for that.

Shaw and Sterling attacking round the outside and then pulling it back for Kane / Mount works.

18 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

a back 3 with Mount as one of the forwards is ****ing daft if it is the case. Only get Sterling to run at two old CB's. Smart

I mean it’s the same as the Germany game really, we don’t need to try and win it in the first half hour. Put the extra man at the back, limit their options coming forward, keep it tight. Make sure we are still in the game on 65 minutes and then when the ancient Italy backline are looking leggy you can chuck on Grealish, Saka, Sancho, Foden (if fit).

Another one where scoring early could be the worst thing for us, if we then end up trying to sit nervously on a lead. If you don’t back yourself to score a second goal at 1-0 and kill the game in the way we did against Ukraine, why chase a first one straightaway.

Respectful but not fearful innit. Italy are a decent side but they were completely outplayed by a Spain team that only won one game in 90 minutes all tournament. And didn’t look great against Austria either. England have got better as the tournament has gone on, Italy have faded a bit.

Nobody is talking much about them having had an extra day’s rest. Not sure how important that might be if it goes the distance.

3 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Another one where scoring early could be the worst thing for us, if we then end up trying to sit nervously on a lead. If you don’t back yourself to score a second goal at 1-0 and kill the game in the way we did against Ukraine, why chase a first one straightaway.

This is Gareth's team, we're not like the England of old anymore, remember ;)

15 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

@SouthCoastRed

C'mon...gimme some sweet, sweet hope with your prediction. 

Ok the hamsters chosen which coloured wheel to run, the dolphins bounced one colour on its nose, the octopus has chosen which tentacle to shove up its arse, and the Old Git has rubbed his balls….so…

27th minute Jorginho finds a pin point ball to pick out Chiesa on the edge of the area, he sidesteps Stones and plants a curler beyond the grasp of the T-Rex top right corner

1-0 Italy

78th Minute a surging Shaw run and a deep far post cross meets the head of Kane and he buries the chance 

1-1 Full Time

116th Minute Grealish corner and Stones is unmarked in the box as the Italians switch off for a moment for the first time all game, his powerful header squirms under Donnarumma and up and down the land, pubs are trashed in a wave of delirium and thrown beer.

2-1 England ITS COMING HOME 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 

4 minutes ago, SouthCoastRed said:

Ok the hamsters chosen which coloured wheel to run, the dolphins bounced one colour on its nose, the octopus has chosen which tentacle to shove up its arse, and the Old Git has rubbed his balls….so…

27th minute Jorginho finds a pin point ball to pick out Chiesa on the edge of the area, he sidesteps Stones and plants a curler beyond the grasp of the T-Rex top right corner

1-0 Italy

78th Minute a surging Shaw run and a deep far post cross meets the head of Kane and he buries the chance 

1-1 Full Time

116th Minute Grealish corner and Stones is unmarked in the box as the Italians switch off for a moment for the first time all game, his powerful header squirms under Donnarumma and up and down the land, pubs are trashed in a wave of delirium and thrown beer.

2-1 England ITS COMING HOME 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 

Christ. It's the scenic route I was dreading. I don't know whether my heart can but I'll take it. 

6 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

My god, English fans are really starved. The level of hype is insane.  This isn't even a World Cup ffs.

Football fans in "excited by final" shocker. Here's how fans that can actually remember winning it, and the World Cup got on...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-11/euro-2016-eiffel-tower-fan-zone-tear-gas-water-cannon/7585014