Match 51 THE FINAL: Italy vs England - 8pm Sunday BBC1 AND ITV1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Marc Albrighton said:

Did good coaches making a difference need to be proved to anyone that's actually watched football though or for that matter any sport.

Might need proving to the guy in this thread who insists that two coaches who inherited absolute messes of teams and ended up in the final are useless and cowardly...

I was just mentioning it because it wasn't that big of a performance to get to the final for England..They had an easy group and were only able to score 2 goals, encountered a troubled Germany and then Ukraine and Denmark were they needed a light penalty to win the game, while playing 6 of the 7 games at home, they even played there best game away from Wembley..

No I'm saying that they didn't play well during the entire tournament but were lucky with the draw and home advantage.

They could've played way more attacking and attractive football with the players they had, but decided not too..

23 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Might need proving to the guy in this thread who insists that two coaches who inherited absolute messes of teams and ended up in the final are useless and cowardly...

Yea well i don't know why anyone really humours the guy honestly, he's either a very good troll or just pretty dense.

England's route to success is pretty clear as far as I can see: appoint Tony Pulis. Demand to play games on Tuesday evenings (especially in the winter), and move home games from Wembley to the Bet365 Stadium. We all know "continental" players canny handle such conditions.

1 minute ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

England's route to success is pretty clear as far as I can see: appoint Tony Pulis. Demand to play games on Tuesday evenings (especially in the winter), and move home games from Wembley to the Bet365 Stadium. We all know "continental" players canny handle such conditions.

Don’t have any more upvotes but yes. All games must be on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke. Appoint Pulis and we can’t go wrong 

1 minute ago, BadAss88 said:

I was just mentioning it because it wasn't that big of a performance to get to the final for England..They had an easy group and were only able to score 2 goals, encountered a troubled Germany and then Ukraine and Denmark were they needed a light penalty to win the game, while playing 6 of the 7 games at home, they even played there best game away from Wembley..

It was a completely normal performance against completely normal opponents to get to the final, something we haven't actually done before. On the other side of the draw Italy cruised past much weaker opponents in the group stage, then needed extra time against the mighty Austria, just about avoided throwing away a two goal lead against Belgium minus two of their best players and won a shootout after parking the bus against Spain. Did that make them the best team in the tournament? Yes, actually  

For comparison purposes, in 2008 Peak Spain also beat Germany and ended up in a shootout with Italy. Their other opponents were Russia, Sweden and Greece, and they needed very late goals to beat the last two. In Euro 96 Germany also drew with Italy, narrowly beat Croatia and the Czech Republic, and I'm delighted our match against them now counts as a draw. And those are the similar ones, obviously Portugal had both weaker opponents and worse results, but the achievement still counts.

4 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

This is just a cunning plan to make the conditions ideally suited for Scotland to win, isn't it? ;)

I agree that England played pretty weak opponents on the way to the semi in 2018 but I'm not really having it for this year! I know neither are what they once were, but we still beat two of the last four World Cup finalists.

That Danish side is pretty good, the Czechs are underrated (knocked out an exciting Dutch side) and of course we didn't really lose to Italy.

I know we don't think of this current Italian side as a vintage Italian side right now, but I wonder whether we will in a few years time. Chiellini, Bonucci, Verratti, Donnarumma are probably some of the best players in their positions in world football at the moment. And there's a bunch of others who, depending on what they achieve in coming years, could end up being highly regarded.

15 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

This is just a cunning plan to make the conditions ideally suited for Scotland to win, isn't it? ;)

None of this tippy tappy Spanishy stuff. No more Grealish hair bands and Phillips man buns. Back to the best of British! Blood, guts, and pitches like the wetlands of Brazil. If the ball bounces, it ain't fit to play! :mad:

****! I'm becoming @bestbrother!

2 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

Might as well. It's pretty much a former Celtic XI anyway :D 

We need all the help we can get next season. Would ask if you have anyone good up there but after last season… :D

1 hour ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

didn't they not have this sort of thing with big Sam?

although that didn't last long

Wait wait:

I read some english fans raised a petition to replay the game?

:D

It's alright for me but you need a play-off match against France before, as they have to replay their game against Swiss

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Omg it's true!!!

https://www.change.org/p/euros-2020-managers-rematch-demand-for-italy-v-england

Go signing guys! It's coming home!

P.S.: sorry, I don't mean to be offensive but I laughed loud when I heard something like that from french fans... but this is even worse.

4 minutes ago, Federico said:

Wait wait:

I read some english fans launched a petition to replay the game?

:D

It's alright for me but you need a play-off match against France before, as they have to replay their game against Swiss

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Omg it's true!!!

https://www.change.org/p/euros-2020-managers-rematch-demand-for-italy-v-england

Go signing guys! It's coming home!

P.S.: sorry, I don't mean to be offensive but I laughed loud when I heard something like that from french fans... but this is even worse.

Why do you care so much?

I feel like Federico really wants to stick it to the England fans on here but the problem is vast majority on here A.) accept Italy deserve it and were the better team and B.) while disapointed we lost, are just happy with England making a bloody final

2 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

I feel like Federico really wants to stick it to the England fans on here but the problem is vast majority on here A.) accept Italy deserve it and were the better team and B.) while disapointed we lost, are just happy with England making a bloody final

Yeah, really wants an angry bite, which is odd given how much he hates it when Gunman winds him up about Juventus being cheats

10 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

It's a stupid petition, but then we also have a petition to change the name of London to Sterlingrad :D 

Sounds better than London to be honest.

The comments on that petition are a fun read. You can tell the majority of the people hadn't ever watched a football match before. I like this one from Karen:

I think England played a good game.no pulling clothes tripping over or yellow cards.when a player gets a yellow card it's a warning to behave but to get 3 and still allowed to play is downright disgraceful.they didn't win football,they were bullies

Just now, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

The comments on that petition are a fun read. You can tell the majority of the people hadn't ever watched a football match before. I like this one from Karen:

What's in a name....

Surely nobody who watches football regularly actually thinks the referee was biased? :D 

Chiellini tackle on Saka is never a red card on the halfway line and there’s another defender in shot so he wasn’t even the last man. It is scummy but it’s part of the game, if we’d be more counter attacking throughout with our pace we could’ve put him on a yellow earlier in the game and made things more interesting. 

I thought the ref was fair to both teams, let the play go when he could and blew the whistle when he had to

Chellini's foul is a yellow in the majority of games, players were getting back.  If you want one that potentially verges on a red, it's probably the one where Jorginho and Grealish collided, some refs would possibly give a red for that as Grealish gets a stud in the knee with the follow up.  For me being somebody who has watched football for decades, I'd say it's 50-50 but it's one where it could go either way

Edited by TM

6 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Surely nobody who watches football regularly actually thinks the referee was biased? :D 

Chiellini tackle on Saka is never a red card on the halfway line and there’s another defender in shot so he wasn’t even the last man. It is scummy but it’s part of the game, if we’d be more counter attacking throughout with our pace we could’ve put him on a yellow earlier in the game and made things more interesting. 

Chiellini's foul was 100% cynical and 100% a yellow, but never anything more than that. Just a classic case of a defender taking a card for the team. He knew exactly what he was doing but it happens all the time in football.

30 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Even I'm being respectful (by my standards :D) considering how many of you people mocked that blatant robbery in semi-final.

I was thinking that myself. Have you had a religious experience between the Denmark game and today? :D 

9 minutes ago, TM said:

I thought the ref was fair to both teams, let the play go when he could and blew the whistle when he had to

Chellini's foul is a yellow in the majority of games, players were getting back.  If you want one that potentially verges on a red, it's probably the one where Jorginho and Grealish collided, some refs would possibly give a red for that as Grealish gets a stud in the knee with the follow up.  For me being somebody who has watched football for decades, I'd say it's 50-50 but it's one where it could go either way

Definitely seen reds given for that, easy to argue it was dangerous play, but personally given there was very limited intent from Jorginho I think in an ideal world you don’t want to see reds for things like that especially in big games. 

13 minutes ago, eenie said:

Chiellini's foul was 100% cynical and 100% a yellow, but never anything more than that. Just a classic case of a defender taking a card for the team. He knew exactly what he was doing but it happens all the time in football.

Exactly. Much like the pen for Sterling, loads of talk around something that happens all the time. A red would have been very, very harsh. 

8 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

I was thinking that myself. Have you had a religious experience between the Denmark game and today? :D 

Nah, I'm better than those people.

Never kick someone when they're down.

But some of the posts after Denmark game were enough to know true faces of some posters.

An they were probably under heavy influence. :lol: