[Discussion] Midfield Positioning

kevgaleuk

When it comes to tactics the one thing I'd like to change is adjust the line for the CM role. Right now you have to decide between the DM, CM or AM but I often want to play my CM's slightly deeper than the CM but not as deep as the DM just for defensive positioning reasons. Maybe some kind of drop further in addition to the get further forward or hold position options could work?

Also would it be possible to add the ability to have the DM drop between the CB's like we increasingly see in tactical set ups these days? I often want to have my CB's move a little wider (which I assume would happen based on the position of the ball e.g right or left not both at the same time) and want my DM to drop in between to cover which I can't currently get the player to do

Edited by kevgaleuk

• kevgaleuk changed the title to [Discussion] Midfield Positioning

True but they do affect starting positions - take fullbacks and wingers for example - wingback in the two positions drastically affects starting position and how far up the pitch they are when the ball is lost which affects ability to get back

In midfield I assume it is much the same in terms of the No10 role the standard mid line and the No4 have distance between them. If we have 4,6,8 & 10 as the normal midfield positions I'd like a little difference between 6 & 8 (5 lines not 3)

• 3 months later...
  • SI Staff

Hey @kevgaleuk some things have changed with FM22, such as the ability to have your CB's move wider through the new role this year. 

When it comes to your midfield suggestions though and given the changes, do you have ideas in mind for the kind of roles these positions would play, what functions they would serve? It's also worth mentioning that the tactical line-up for your side isn't based on where your players will be when you're in possession/attacking. 

On 20/11/2021 at 23:53, Michael Sant said:

Hey @kevgaleuk some things have changed with FM22, such as the ability to have your CB's move wider through the new role this year. 

When it comes to your midfield suggestions though and given the changes, do you have ideas in mind for the kind of roles these positions would play, what functions they would serve? It's also worth mentioning that the tactical line-up for your side isn't based on where your players will be when you're in possession/attacking. 

When I was writing this I was thinking about midfield partnerships of the past and present

• Liverpool - They appear to line up with three across the middle but Fabinho is the deeper of the three, sometimes in that 4 DM position but often it looks like a deeper 6 (somewhere between CM & DM) while the other 2 seem to split between a CM (as would be seen on FM e.g. a B2B) and a slightly more offensive 8 (not quite a 10 though) 
  • Man Utd - Keane used to play that defensive 6 while Scholes the offensive 8 but it was never quite the DM/AM diamond 
  • England - seem to play 2 defensive 6's rather than 2 4's allowing them to be closer to the 8/10

I am probably massively over thinking it but when playing as a smaller team I often just want to drop my CM's half way - not back to the 4 as that seems to invite extra pressure - but enough to be compact and stop the space between defence and midfield while allowing the engagement near the half way line

In my mind its something like

04) DM - Anchor, Defensive Midfielder, Half Back

06) Deep CM - Playmaker on Def, Segundo, Regista, CM on Def, Ball Winning Midfielder on Def

06) CM - CM on Sup, Playmaker on Sup, Carrillo, Mezzala on Sup, Box to Box, Ball Winning Midfielder on Sup

08) Offensive CM - Playmaker on Att, Mezzala on Att, CM on Att

10) AM - Traquatista, Enganche, Shadow Striker, & maybe a central Ramdeuter 

• 10 months later...