Affecting newgen names (basics)

mannyhams

5 hours ago, Fredrik said:

I added Romansh to the languages and have created a few players and staff. I created a few villages where they are a relatively common and set the language to Romansh. Obviously none of the teams created players used these names. 

What's more is that I looked at a few other players and the three first had names that didn't exist in the database... The names were Vonnez, Fontannaz and Angliker. All were supposed for newgens from St Gallen, i.e. German-speaking. 

I have seen that the standard is that players have Italian as their primary language and can speak both French and German if their city of birth isn't set. I'm not sure Region does anyhing since everyone without city is set to have been born in the German -speaking Bern region even though their own language is Italian. 

This is for FM22 and my own Level 6(so far) custom database.

Some regions (like southern africa) seem to affect newgen names and appearance, others not (or are overrided by national preferences).

Sounds like those names came from some hidden namelist, either Switzerland-wide or specific to a local region. You'd think they'd just piggyback on the French, German, or Italian namelists but doesn't sound like it

This looks very much like a national namelist. That is very much a Swiss research issue but, again, shows me why I want access. 

Another issue with this is if it's national then there doesn't seem to be any way to mark a name as language specific. For Switzerland, and other multilingual countries, it is better to use regional namelists instead. Even then there would be issues with bilingual regions and cities but it would at least be something. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

What's the "North America (central)" region for (separate from "North America")? Is that new? Maybe something to do with a namepool or qualifying somewhere that ignores the "other" North American countries (Saint Pierre)

What belongs to it? It's not in FM22. 

Edited by Fredrik

5 minutes ago, Fredrik said:

What belongs to it? Is this new to FM23?

It's an option when selecting get best national teams by "region", not sure what the difference is or if anyone would even show up as they're all set to the normal "North America". Might even be new in this update(?), I don't recall seeing it before?

1 minute ago, themodelcitizen said:

It's an option when selecting get best national teams by "region", not sure what the difference is or if anyone would even show up as they're all set to the normal "North America". Might even be new in this update(?), I don't recall seeing it before?

I see. It isn't where I would be looking normally since I don't edit national rules. I'd be curious too if it's got to do with Hispanic names or similar. One can always hope. 

North America (Central) comes up first in 22.0,

What you can do is change the region of one nation and test the names that turns before and after the change.

When working on Iron Curtain FM22 I added the region Northern Easter Europe to the Soviet Union as Ukraine, Russia and Lithuania are in there. It improved the namebase for the Soviet Union. Then I also moved Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan tot Northern Easter Europe in the hope that the namebases of those countries would be added to the Soviet Union name base. Instead...., the namebase of the former region of Georgia, Azerbaijan and Armenia was added to the Soviet Union. This included obviously Georgian, Azeri and Armenian names, but also Italian, Spanish and Italian. So depending on what new names you are going to see you will know where they come from.

7 minutes ago, Fredrik said:

I see. It isn't where I would be looking normally since I don't edit national rules. I'd be curious too if it's got to do with Hispanic names or similar. One can always hope. 

I know that putting a nation in North America's region before seemed to throw up all kind of names, they might have finally made it a melting pot of different nationalities and then they refine it with different settings for different areas of North America. Interesting possibilities as I consider a fictional New Spain database in CONCACAF...

• 2 weeks later...

Having a look at the files included in the 'Customize Editor' mod, there appears to be a few XML files referring to 'Person Name'. Given that they refer to 'ethnicity', 'count' and 'use for regens', could these indeed be the files that could be enabled to fully edit the namepools?

4 hours ago, TheWestender said:

Having a look at the files included in the 'Customize Editor' mod, there appears to be a few XML files referring to 'Person Name'. Given that they refer to 'ethnicity', 'count' and 'use for regens', could these indeed be the files that could be enabled to fully edit the namepools?

Most probably. The problem we're having is how to actually unlock them. 

19 hours ago, Fredrik said:

Most probably. The problem we're having is how to actually unlock them. 

It does seem like, at the very least, they could be viewed separately from the 'People' section by changing the UI to enable it. Changing them might be a tad more difficult - they currently appear to be flagged as 'Read Only'.

However, looking at the initial thread it is absolutely possible to enable and change settings that were once hidden - someone mentioned changing Newgen Preferences by Club - and doing some tinkering with the XML files myself (at which I am not an expert) I was able to at the least make a section for 'Alternative Stadium Names' visible inside the Stadium entry page. With a bit more tinkering, I hope I can allow people to enter alternative names to be used in certain competitions (for example, sponsor-free names for European games).

Seems like something that will require a fair bit of trial and error though.

18 minutes ago, TheWestender said:

It does seem like, at the very least, they could be viewed separately from the 'People' section by changing the UI to enable it. Changing them might be a tad more difficult - they currently appear to be flagged as 'Read Only'.

However, looking at the initial thread it is absolutely possible to enable and change settings that were once hidden - someone mentioned changing Newgen Preferences by Club - and doing some tinkering with the XML files myself (at which I am not an expert) I was able to at the least make a section for 'Alternative Stadium Names' visible inside the Stadium entry page. With a bit more tinkering, I hope I can allow people to enter alternative names to be used in certain competitions (for example, sponsor-free names for European games).

Seems like something that will require a fair bit of trial and error though.

The more people that try these things the better. If you can open up more options then that will be great. I have also managed to show things in the past(such as Teams) but Person Names seem impossible to me and others. To be clear, I have managed to make the columns visible but have never been able to extract any data. 

I'm also not an expert with XML and I'm sure that is part of the problem. It would at least be ok to be certain that we can't do things. As things stand I just don't know if we're not competent enough or if it's not possible. 

Edited by Fredrik

• 9 months later...
On 11/01/2023 at 21:12, themodelcitizen said:

Starting to think some of the extinct nations like SEA Chinese, Singh Indian, Malay Indian etc exist only to provide hidden namelists for newgens in certain regions. Assuming that's right, do we know which extinct nations don't come with namelists? Gotta be Ireland pre-1922 and maybe "Upper Volta" or others like that which seem to exist only for history entries in competition histories?

I created an Italian nation on Ireland Pre 1922.. the grey players have irish names :/