Choose my Save for FM22

Choose My Save for FM22  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should I Manage Next time out?

• Blyth Spartans
    • Crotone
    • Mystery Team!
    • Greenock Morton
    • 1860 Munich
    • Sampdoria
    • Vitesse Arnhem
    • Wrexham AFC

I've normally just managed Everton for the last 10 years... I do one long term save every year and just play it through and normally end up with 25 or so seasons. This year I want to try something different... I've compiled a shortlist of 8 that I'd like to have a go at, with varying degrees of challenge and added a poll. I promise to be bound by the results! Here's a little explanation for each of my choices. The goal for all saves is the same: Play as long as possible and become a dominant force in European Football, ideally by signing and developing young players. 

1. Blyth Spartans: Inspired by Tony Jameson's save and standup show. I was always amazed by Tony's achievements and commitment to the cause and would enjoy a shot at recreating an ultimate rags to riches rale. 

2. F.C. Crotone: Serie B team from Italy's southern Adriatic coast. A reasonable transfer budget and playing squad to begin with. The attraction here is winning something with a southern Italian team and one who look East to Greece for their culture. Crotone was the first Italian city founded by the ancient Greeks. Their kits are super nice also. 

3. Random Team! I'll order a shirt from one of those mystery box companies and see what shows up. 

4. Greenock Morton: I used to live around the corner from Cappielow Park and I love the Millions sponsorship. They also have a really cool old-school kit this year. I've never managed in any version to break up the Old Firm or have any joy in Scottish football (getting punted after 5 games at Cowdenbeath was undoubtedly my nadir as a manager)

5. 1860 Munich: Bayern's local rivals and former tenants of the Allianz Arena. Years of mismanagement have left them in the 3rd tier of German football and broke. The chance to build from the ground up in a different league that i've never played before and stick it to one of Europe's super powers. 

6. Sampdoria: Admittedly the easiest of the options. Inspired mainly by those awesome shirts. 

7. Vitesse Arnhem: I like the town and I like the chance to take an unfashionable club to new heights, albeit from a decent starting position. 

8. Wrexham AFC: The chance to build from the conference, with some Hollywood glamour attached, with maybe a little extra spending money to soften the blow. 

Let me know what you think!  

39 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

1860 for me.

It could be a long road, but even getting them close to Bayern would be a colossal achievement. 

It suits the long term project I always enjoy... Never managed in Germany so learning a new league would be nice too.  The only downer is that all 8 of them remove me giving Fabian Delph the bullet on the first day, which has been a little tradition for years now. 

I voted 1860 as it's a save game I've considered in the past.  And it's always Bayern that knock out my underdog team from a smaller league in the latter stages of the Champions League.  It's happened across multiple FM's now and they need taking down!

Edited by Sir_Liam

Went with Wrexham AFC. Only because I think Blyth Spartans were done quite heavily a few years back, then after that think I recall FC United was very popular long term save.

Random Team could be fun too.  I've purchased a few shirts, Wikipedia researching to get into the save.

12 minutes ago, CheapAsChimps said:

Random team could be very fun. 

I think having the shirt of the team you're managing could give you a little more attachment and motivation. 

Like the above says, a little bit of research to acclimatise and you're good to go...

The mystery shirt was my original idea for 22... but then I got cold feet about getting somebody I hate or that would make a boring save. I only do one save per edition and I'm already stepping outside my comfort zone here. 

Still, I can cross that bridge when I come to it I guess. 

I  voted 1860 too.  I thought about Germany 3 for my save this year, as there are several sleeping giants or the opportunity to make an eastern side champions of Germany for the first time since unification.  I was looking at Kaiserslautern but 1860 would be good too.

If you end up picking VItesse, I have a nice little side quest. Vitesse is known in the Netherlands for having a stadium that is much larger than their fanbase. They never fill all their seats.

So the challenge would be to have an average match attendance of 95% of stadium capacity :D

49 minutes ago, Dereka said:

If you end up picking VItesse, I have a nice little side quest. Vitesse is known in the Netherlands for having a stadium that is much larger than their fanbase. They never fill all their seats.

So the challenge would be to have an average match attendance of 95% of stadium capacity :D

Brilliant! I cycled from Gent (where I live) to Arnhem to do the Bridge too Far route on saturday and picked up their awesome away shirt as a reward. I was wondering how big the stadium was on my way past! It looks, from the outside at least, to be bigger than PSV's for sure. 

Lots of funny NEC stickers on the route between Nijmegen and Arnhem too. "Pure Hate", "Die Arnhem" that sort of stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

In my head it was now down to 1860 or the mystery shirt. I've been playing with 1860 in Beta and quite enjoying actually having to get good at tactics because there's no money and I can't afford scouting packages... But I thought I'd order up the mystery shirt anyway and see if it could tempt me. Burnley's 3rd Goalkeeper kit. With a massive betting logo on it. 1860 it is, I'll just keep playing my save. 

Quick question. Can I add logos and a facepack after I start or do I have go back and start again? 

2 hours ago, pdmalcolm said:

In my head it was now down to 1860 or the mystery shirt. I've been playing with 1860 in Beta and quite enjoying actually having to get good at tactics because there's no money and I can't afford scouting packages... But I thought I'd order up the mystery shirt anyway and see if it could tempt me. Burnley's 3rd Goalkeeper kit. With a massive betting logo on it. 1860 it is, I'll just keep playing my save. 

Quick question. Can I add logos and a facepack after I start or do I have go back and start again? 

Yes you can. Add them to the graphics folder and reload the skin in game.

On 19/10/2021 at 12:16, pdmalcolm said:

4. Greenock Morton: I used to live around the corner from Cappielow Park and I love the Millions sponsorship. They also have a really cool old-school kit this year. I've never managed in any version to break up the Old Firm or have any joy in Scottish football (getting punted after 5 games at Cowdenbeath was undoubtedly my nadir as a manager)

Played them in CM96 with Alan Blaikie as an absolute lethal striker (which was probably pure chance). Managed to make it an 3-team run for the championship.

On 20/10/2021 at 14:16, pdmalcolm said:

Brilliant! I cycled from Gent (where I live) to Arnhem to do the Bridge too Far route on saturday and picked up their awesome away shirt as a reward. I was wondering how big the stadium was on my way past! It looks, from the outside at least, to be bigger than PSV's for sure. 

PSV stadium is quite a bit bigger, about 15K seats bigger.