What would run better on a MacBook Air M1? FM2021 or an older version like FM17?

Whilst I can't give you the exact answer you need - I have a base M1 MacBook Pro, and not an Air - the difference between both devices is negligible; only real difference is no fan on Air and one of the Air models has 1 less graphic core. So I hope my reflections are some help.

FM 2021 (and 2022 beta) both play like a dream on the MacBook Pro, fan has never once kicked in so I wouldn't worry about the Air not having a fan. It doesn't even get warm. It's been far and away the best computer I've ever played FM on; I run games of up to 21 leagues (most of Europe + Brazil, Argentina, USA) seamlessly. I rarely play games in 3D, but when I have, again no fan, no heat, 3* graphic quality I'd say - more than reasonable.

I'd not hesitate for a second - but perhaps wait on replies from people who have an Air. I've definitely seen positive comments on other forums re: FM on the Air (Reddit etc) too which might be worth searching for. 

I think it's likely the more recent ones will run a little better, as SI make optimisations to the game each year.

But, if you have both versions, why not set up a game where the database is as close as possible in both and holiday 4 weeks and see how long it takes both?  That will give you a good indication.