Backroom team and playing style

Morning guys,

When putting together the backroom staff at a club is there a benefit to everybody having the same preferred playing style? i.e if I play Tiki-Taka does it help with my player's tactical familiarity if my coaches also prefer Tiki-Taka? If I have a Director of Football / Scouts with the same preferred playing style are they more likely to find players to suit that style?

I did this back in FM20 with an Inter MIlan save. You ask about playing style; now this in particular doesn't matter I don't think. However, personality traits I feel are a bigger deal. For example, I always try to make sure my HOYD has a "Model Citizen" personality (or as close to it as is reasonable). That way, the trait is "passed on" to your crop of shiny new youths every season. At Inter I just ended up matching their preferred formations too, just for sh**s and giggles. I don't believe it made any difference to the game though, it was more for my own enjoyment.

14 hours ago, MaskedReferee said:

Morning guys,

When putting together the backroom staff at a club is there a benefit to everybody having the same preferred playing style? i.e if I play Tiki-Taka does it help with my player's tactical familiarity if my coaches also prefer Tiki-Taka? If I have a Director of Football / Scouts with the same preferred playing style are they more likely to find players to suit that style?

It's hard to answer that without an input from SI developers; but you can trust a background coach to train attacking units (or general team) where is having route one preferred style of style when you use a tiki taka style of play? I am not IMHO.

On 27/10/2021 at 16:03, MaskedReferee said:

I've always wondered this as well. I'm quite selective of Personality, Playing Style and Formation of my Head of Youth and Under 18's Manager. 

However when filling the rest of my coaches, physio, scouting team, tend to go with best attributes instead. I use the Staff Advertising, so can't be too picky anyway.

If you delegate training, Tactical Style matters.

If you want appropriate tactical advice for the system you are playing (usually from your Assistant Manager), Tactical Style, Playing Style, Preferred Formation & Playing Mentality matter.

For me, I tend to focus on Playing Mentality, Playing Style & Pressing Style and usually with a degree of variance.  So if:

• I'm playing on Attacking Mentality - I'll look for coaches with either Attacking or Adventurous Mentality
  • I'm playing Slightly Shorter Passing - I'll look for coaches with Passing or Balanced Style
  • I'm playing High Pressing - I'll look for coaches with Urgent or Standard Pressing

Generally I prioritise this over attributes, but that is essentially just to give me a criteria so I avoid hiring the "best" possible coaches each time (which is often too easy, and a little unrealistic)

1 hour ago, GIMN said:

If you delegate training, Tactical Style matters.

If you want appropriate tactical advice for the system you are playing (usually from your Assistant Manager), Tactical Style, Playing Style, Preferred Formation & Playing Mentality matter.

For me, I tend to focus on Playing Mentality, Playing Style & Pressing Style and usually with a degree of variance.  So if:

• I'm playing on Attacking Mentality - I'll look for coaches with either Attacking or Adventurous Mentality
  • I'm playing Slightly Shorter Passing - I'll look for coaches with Passing or Balanced Style
  • I'm playing High Pressing - I'll look for coaches with Urgent or Standard Pressing

Generally I prioritise this over attributes, but that is essentially just to give me a criteria so I avoid hiring the "best" possible coaches each time (which is often too easy, and a little unrealistic)

I'm fairly sure that these things also have a direct result on the type of training that is provided by whoever you put in charge of training, if you aren't doing it yourself.  I've noticed fairly large differences in how my team plays in matches based on the playing styles of who was in charge of training.  Putting a staff member who prefers a direct style of play in charge of my possession based team does indeed lead to them becoming much more direct and less possession oriented.  Same thing happens with their preferred mentality.  I set the team up to play with a cautious mentality but if you put someone  in charge with an attacking mentality, they will play a more attack minded style.