After playing FM12 for 10 years

I loved FM12 - probably my favourite. I think it's the one I played most because I had the time back then. 

I have never been a fan of setting training schedules and didn't even need a 3D engine. I am one of the dying breed of 2D "dot" watchers. In later years, I went 2D for the match and 3D for the replays. I also have no interest in the social media updates - although I accept I am probably in the minority there. 

I'm an Fm12er - have been for a long time. I've tried 13/14/15/16/17/18/19/20/21 ---- and always come back to FM12. 

Messi at his prime. Legendary game. Can play 100 seasons and start over. I love it. 

I cannot get into the other versions at all and I played from CM days all the way up to FM12. Long time player.

I'm literally on the fence whether to get 22 this year.

I understand where you're coming from. I upgraded to FM19 from CM 99/00! It was a bit of a shock at first I tell you! I soon found out the areas I wanted to run myself (e.g. training), areas I wanted to delegate (e.g. scouting), and areas I had no interest in (e.g. social media/medical centre). I really enjoy playing FM19 and even bought FM20 too! Think that's me done with buying new versions (well maybe for the next 20 years or so - ha!). Hope you get your head around FM22, and there is no shame in returning to FM12 (I still play 99/00).

Click on staff click on responsibility and set them to do most of the stuff, training, media, scoutings etc play a season like this as you get used to the new features. Then over time start taking control of t=these things again bit by bit. The game while feel less overwhelming this way.

I still played FM17 from that release date until last night. For me it's the best one. Whilst I like FM22 beta, it still seems to run a bit slower than 17 for me, and I don't know what it is about 17 that I keep going back to, maybe the ME, layout of the skin, whatever it is it always hooks me back on.

I know I'll put 1,000+ hours into 22 most likely, and I'll really enjoy it but I just know I'll load up 17 again.

13 minutes ago, Malicious Penguin said:

FM2014 is my most played FM (based on Steam, so 2012 onwards).

Going to reinstall 12, and give it a go, wish me luck!

My laptop doesn't have a disk drive, and the first FM I installed on steam was 13 so wouldn't be able to go back that far. I do still have discs of some old FM's in my loft. If I remember rightly FM12 was when inside forwards were the in thing. Fun times man

1 minute ago, bigmattb28 said:

I still played FM17 from that release date until last night. For me it's the best one. Whilst I like FM22 beta, it still seems to run a bit slower than 17 for me, and I don't know what it is about 17 that I keep going back to, maybe the ME, layout of the skin, whatever it is it always hooks me back on.

I know I'll put 1,000+ hours into 22 most likely, and I'll really enjoy it but I just know I'll load up 17 again.

No game has looked better aesthetically than FM17, by far the most polished looking game of the entire series. I think though, I would miss too many of the newer features to ever go back. 

5 minutes ago, fc.cadoni said:

Where you can check that in Steam?

All games that you bought on steam are in the same list.  if doesn't show it because something is preventing from installing the game. if didn't buy at the time, well there is no way to install it.

For example I can't go lower then FM18, because in recent versions of MacOS only allows to run 64 bit apps, no go for 32 bits.

10 minutes ago, grade said:

All games that you bought on steam are in the same list.  if doesn't show it because something is preventing from installing the game. if didn't buy at the time, well there is no way to install it.

For example I can't go lower then FM18, because in recent versions of MacOS only allows to run 64 bit apps, no go for 32 bits.

I thought was a list - filter based on users; not only me. I got it.

21 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

No game has looked better aesthetically than FM17, by far the most polished looking game of the entire series. I think though, I would miss too many of the newer features to ever go back. 

That's the thing about the older FMs, they're fun to go back to a & play but you don't half miss all the new stuff that was added over the years

15 hours ago, fc.cadoni said:

A good start. Some principles apply for FM22 (and older versions as well).

Appreciate the link. :thup:

15 hours ago, TracksuitManager said:

Any good Youtubers to recommend who do beginner guides?

Lollujo and DoctorBenjy are probably the most casual ones. They both play the game in a very relaxed way, usually just selecting presets and leaving most of the stuff to assistant. If you want someone more advanced, maybe Zealand or BusttheNet. FM Scout is also great for quick tips on various topics.

Honestly, it may look intimidating, but basic principles of tactics and regen hunting are still largely the same. Don't be afraid to delegate stuff you're not interested in, FM is very customizable in that regard.

40 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

Lollujo and DoctorBenjy are probably the most casual ones. They both play the game in a very relaxed way, usually just selecting presets and leaving most of the stuff to assistant. If you want someone more advanced, maybe Zealand or BusttheNet. FM Scout is also great for quick tips on various topics.

Honestly, it may look intimidating, but basic principles of tactics and regen hunting are still largely the same. Don't be afraid to delegate stuff you're not interested in, FM is very customizable in that regard.

There's literally no FM youtubers I like, definitely not those you listed. Nothing personal I just don't like watching them.

Also for me FM isn't really a game I would want to watch someone else playing either. It's not exactly a spectator sports is it. However each to their own and if you enjoy watching them more power to ya' friend! For me though I like playing it and debating it on here.

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Aye sure is man. I do like some of the newer features, but 17 was just perfection for me. Still can't wait for 22 full game though, there's only so much of the beta I can get into without wanting to get properly invested as I would the full release.

2 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

FM17 is the one game in the series I never bought.  I did look at getting it via a Steam key reseller but the prices were insane.

2 hours ago, Malicious Penguin said:

FM2014 is my most played FM (based on Steam, so 2012 onwards).

Going to reinstall 12, and give it a go, wish me luck!

FM12 is my most played (going back to FM10 for me).  FM14 comes in 4th but still more than double as much time as any of the 5 latest versions.

FM22 is off to a good start though :)

12 hours ago, Smurf said:

I'm an Fm12er - have been for a long time. I've tried 13/14/15/16/17/18/19/20/21 ---- and always come back to FM12. 

Messi at his prime. Legendary game. Can play 100 seasons and start over. I love it. 

I cannot get into the other versions at all and I played from CM days all the way up to FM12. Long time player.

I'm literally on the fence whether to get 22 this year.

Do player updates exist for these older versions?

7 hours ago, grade said:

I’m playing fm17 on a Mac with the latest OS.  It warns me it may not run as it’s 32 bit but then runs fine. It’s fm17 touch in case that makes a difference? 

2 hours ago, vishers said:

I’m playing fm17 on a Mac with the latest OS.  It warns me it may not run as it’s 32 bit but then runs fine. It’s fm17 touch in case that makes a difference? 

Not sure, never tried it. I will try it out. thanks ;)

Honestly after spending a couple hours of playing 12 again made me realize it's actually so much fun, so much so that I went back to it with data pack updates (especially Nikk3' & pr0's running together) the match engine is too damn fun even if you're just watching AI vs AI lol

I've been playing FM19, but I fancy going more retro. FM17 still has an attractive 3D engine.

Is there any website available that has a clear and succinct list of new features per iteration. I need to assess how far back I can go without losing features that are necessary to me.

EDIT: Scrap that. I've  got the lower league file and add-ons for FM18 - I'll go with that.

Edited by phnompenhandy

FM12 too I played for quite a while, but I couldn't possibly go back to it (as there's little sense of achievement, in particular if you're aware of its flaws).

One of which being AI due to a selection bug frequently never shielding their backline and/or somebody in midfield protecting from counters/easy advances into their half. That's like playing a supposedly football management sim when your opponent isn't Klopp et. all, but somebody who hasn't ever watched a match of football and somehow still got the management job. 

I reckon though that's actually a part of why it's still some popular. 

Not that I'd go back to that anyway, currently happily playing the new Pathfinder game -- which unlike most mainstream computer RPGs these days delightfully made me wonder for hours in its character creation already what kind of character I should pick (there's like twenty classes, each with sub classes, the various races, traits, etc. to boot). These are fairly niche games nowadays on the RPG front, whereas the mainstream prefers open-world action/shooter games with barely characters systems such as the new Fallouts -- or The Witcher, a game full of barely interactive movie-like cutscenes witcher-sensing itself if you ever tackle a quest (hit a button and magically all the steps required to complete a quest appear in glowing red). 

I mean, preferences, and that's all mighty fine in my book. But there might be a connection here. :D

Edited by Svenc

On 03/11/2021 at 14:07, Zemahh said:

Workthespace is my favourite but FMStinger has some really nice tactical videos on roles and formations 

Edited by benhoward12

OK, this thread has inspired me. I've reinstalled Steam and FM12. I bought a high-spec laptop last year in case I needed one for work and haven't really used it for FM. 

So, it'll take me time to get all the logos and packs set up again but then I'm going to sim through until July 2021 and see where I end up. Let's see if the magic is still there.