*Official* Football Manager 2022 Feedback Thread

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read the patch notes but I'm wondering if they're complete. Was there no match engine changes at all?

The reason I ask is because my poacher seems to be coming very deep and playing almost a supporting role. He's just very sluggish in getting into outright attacking positions. For example, he is incredibly slow at getting into the box for crosses.

In my first game of the new update I noticed he was our furthest forward man when receiving balls from deep. In situation in which he should have been able to knock the ball down and run on goal he was instead heading the ball back to my DLF.

But if there's no changes to the match engine then it must just be coincidence.

4 minutes ago, anagain said:

I've read the patch notes but I'm wondering if they're complete. Was there no match engine changes at all?

The reason I ask is because my poacher seems to be coming very deep and playing almost a supporting role. He's just very sluggish in getting into outright attacking positions. For example, he is incredibly slow at getting into the box for crosses.

In my first game of the new update I noticed he was our furthest forward man when receiving balls from deep. In situation in which he should have been able to knock the ball down and run on goal he was instead heading the ball back to my DLF.

But if there's no changes to the match engine then it must just be coincidence.

AFs and poachers - in my experience - do not behave like previous edition versions of themselves anymore - which is a shame. Not played .4 yet, but that behaviour was really clear to see for me in .3.

Edit: pipped to the post by Johnny :-D

Edited by CaptCanuck

4 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Yeah, they were doing that before and after the update, zero ME changes were made

Okay, just seemed to be an upturn in how much he was dropping deep.

I wonder if it was increased by the fact that the player signified his intent to stay at the club after a period of unhappiness right before I noticed this. If he is playing more for the club he might be making more effort to get involved.

5 minutes ago, CaptCanuck said:

AFs and poachers - in my experience - do not behave like previous edition versions of themselves anymore

2 minutes ago, anagain said:

Okay, just seemed to be an upturn in how much he was dropping deep.

Can agree, in FM22, roles are now way more fluid. Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse 

7 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Can agree, in FM22, roles are now way more fluid. Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse 

Ya it's a shame really.

In FM21 the AF and PF(A) behaved how I'd expect them to - push the CBs in transition and when there is room, giving AMCs, BBMs, IWBs space to do cool stuff and enabling the striker to have room to play on the shoulder and attack through balls and crosses.

Once near the 18yd box obviously with less room pretty much all striker types either behaved generally like a DLF-A or DLF-S/F9. Now it feels like that DLF-A behaviour has simply triggered further away from goal.

9 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

We're playing well enough so I can't grumble. The player in question is technically more naturally a pressing forward so that possibly has a lot to do with his habits on the pitch. I saw poacher in him though. Possible I should just ditch that and have him play an attacking pressing forward role.

16 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

I've actually thought the opposite lol, player roles along with team and player instructions seem to be more distinct . I didnt play FM21 much though so not sure how it compares to that

Edited by Platinum

16 minutes ago, CaptCanuck said:

Ya it's a shame really.

I'd take it over FM19 (I think it was) where players just weren't fluid at all and once they got to their assigned position, they'd just stand there

Could always add More Discipline, see if takes some of the freedom out  

11 minutes ago, Platinum said:

I've actually thought the opposite lol, player roles along with team and player instructions seem to be more distinct . I didnt play FM21 much though so not sure how it compares to that

I notice it most with DMs & Strikers, strikers dropping deep to help out play & Half Backs getting forward and popping off shots when they see fit 

Just finished clearing out a lot of the petty arguing and sniping at each other - keep this civil guys, I'm sure you're all capable of discussing updates to a game without resorting to attacking each other.

29 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

I'd take it over FM19 (I think it was) where players just weren't fluid at all and once they got to their assigned position, they'd just stand there

Could always add More Discipline, see if takes some of the freedom out  

I notice it most with DMs & Strikers, strikers dropping deep to help out play & Half Backs getting forward and popping off shots when they see fit 

I must say I'm a big fan of the regularity with which B2B MFs get forward in FM22. Much more common than in past FMs. I guess they really should get forward, as their name implies, but I don't believe they always did in FM, at least not with enough regularity. BWMs have their moments too.

I would like to see poachers be much more single minded though. I believe they should be selfish. I have nothing against the odd moments of dropping back to help build attacks but I didn't like seeing my poacher flicking headers on to a DLF when he might have been single minded enough to carry the ball on and shoot.

6 minutes ago, mitchellisaperson said:

r/footballmanagergames has literally deleted every comment on this thread :lol:

Seems no one wants to own up to the fact that a significant chunk of the player base hates the new update

To be fair, and as much as I'd like choice, I don't think you can say a significant chunk of the player base hates the update. The number that go to forums (here or reddit) is small compared to the population of FM gamers.

That reddit is not managed by SI, as far as I am aware, either.

23 minutes ago, anagain said:

To be fair, and as much as I'd like choice, I don't think you can say a significant chunk of the player base hates the update. The number that go to forums (here or reddit) is small compared to the population of FM gamers.

That reddit is not managed by SI, as far as I am aware, either.

Yeah the forums are actually really quite a small part of the fanbase, even when you add up unofficial forums elsewhere. It's actually part of the reason social media became more important over the years

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, kepz said:

What's going on with Leeds, Jesse Marsch, and his employment in my new save? Game date is 05 July 2021.

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 9.53.07 AM.png

Just started a brand new save here and he's managing them in my save. You definitely running the latest data? Not running anything custom at all? 

14 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Just started a brand new save here and he's managing them in my save. You definitely running the latest data? Not running anything custom at all? 

Thank you for checking, Neil. I thought I had unchecked outdated editor files, but perhaps not. Will double check again. 

3 minutes ago, Zek said:

I want to download SI's Gibraltar League pack from the Workshop but apparently it's marked as hidden? I can't access it.

Probably in the process of being updated, I'd imagine.

13 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

FIFA and UEFA have indefinitely suspended Russia and Belarus from international and continental competitions, and so FM has been updated to reflect that - just as it was to implement the winter World Cup in Qatar, all the transfers that go through, the purchase of Newcastle United, and any other activity from within the footballing world.

I don't think it was though. I certainly can't remember an update being released for an existing FM that added the Qatar World Cup. In fact I remember a version of FM that specifically moved the WC from Qatar every time because SI weren't able and/or willing to implement it yet.

I don't remember covid being added either. I believe nothing was done about that in-game until the next FM version released.

Why couldn't the same have been done here? Allow people to keep playing this FM in a world where the war never happened and implement the changes into next year's FM instead.

3 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

I don't think it was though. I certainly can't remember an update being released for an existing FM that added the Qatar World Cup. In fact I remember a version of FM that specifically moved the WC from Qatar every time because SI weren't able and/or willing to implement it yet.

I don't remember covid being added either. I believe nothing was done about that in-game until the next FM version released.

Why couldn't the same have been done here? Allow people to keep playing this FM in a world where the war never happened and implement the changes into next year's FM instead.

The russian bans have been implemented. There is nothing you can say or do to change it so just enjoy the game or don't play it, It's that simple

1 minute ago, here4downloads said:

This is ridiculous and totally unrealistic. 

Russian leagues, national teams and club teams should not be locked out of saves forever because of a conflict going on right now in real time.

Ban them for a year (FIFA and UEFA competitions) in game if you want to take a stance and then let them re enter but to exclude them from all of our entire saves? This is absurd, sorry. There is no excuse for this 

It's not about taking a stance, it's about reflecting the current reality, which as far as Russia goes, is what has happened. I personally think it's right.

It's the time limit and difficulty getting around it that is my personal bug bear.  I would be leaving the ban in place for the first season at least, but not until the end of time, obviously.

1 minute ago, Junkhead said:

It's not about taking a stance, it's about reflecting the current reality, which as far as Russia goes, is what has happened. I personally think it's right.

It's the time limit and difficulty getting around it that is my personal bug bear.  I would be leaving the ban in place for the first season at least, but not until the end of time, obviously.

Yeah, I agree with the first year. But there is no justification for permanently excluding them. It’s game breaking. 

Thankfully I’ve got DB 22.3 saved on a USB stick pre update. 

Edited by here4downloads

25 minutes ago, here4downloads said:

Yeah, I agree with the first year. But there is no justification for permanently excluding them. It’s game breaking. 

Thankfully I’ve got DB 22.3 saved on a USB stick pre update. 

A lot of people have commented saying that it shouldn't be forever. But, FIFA/UEFA have indefinetley banned them - at the moment that means they will be banned forever. They obviously won't. However, anything other than following UEFA/FIFA laws as they are at the moment is just a stab in the dark.

So, anyone saying they shouldn't be banned forever, how long should they be banned for? (In your opinion).

The game begins in the summer of 2021,then there is no war. The january transfers do not affect for 22.1 db, end of february war, it yes. When i bought the game in december there was no war yet. Could be played in the game for example: Torpedo Moskow and it was possible to win the Champions League. And with Russian National Team the World Cup.This is not possible now.I feel like SI Games cheated. If change on 22.3-4 db no problem,but on 22.1 db is not correct. Please do not change the 22.1 db.  I don't want to play a "Football Manager War" game, only a Football Manager.  

5 minutes ago, DarJ said:

1 year. This is a video game after all and they keep saying how they want the game to be an escape from the real world. 

The fact they also applied it retroactively doesn't make sense; you could be 50 years in the future in your save managing in russia and out of nowhere you can't enter European competitions

Does it affect saved games?

2 minutes ago, Cle said:

The game begins in the summer of 2021,then there is no war. The january transfers do not affect for 22.1 db, end of february war, it yes. When i bought the game in december there was no war yet. Could be played in the game for example: Torpedo Moskow and it was possible to win the Champions League. And with Russian National Team the World Cup.This is not possible now.I feel like SI Games cheated. If change on 22.3-4 db no problem,but on 22.1 db is not correct. Please do not change the 22.1 db.  I don't want to play a "Football Manager War" game, only a Football Manager.  

2 minutes ago, Cle said:

There is no war on the game this isn't cod. Simply Russian teams and nation have been banned just like in real life and they're not coming back no matter how much moaning you do. Just like greenwood has been removed from the game just like in real life he's been removed from Man United.

1 minute ago, DarJ said:

I haven't checked but it affects the previous database

But, then you are spreading false information and you need to be careful:

you could be 50 years in the future in your save managing in russia and out of nowhere you can't enter European competitions

If it doesn't affect saved games the scenario you have listed above can not possibly happen. It can not appear out of nowhere if it doesn't affect saved games. 

3 minutes ago, davehanson said:

But, then you are spreading false information and you need to be careful:

If it doesn't affect saved games the scenario you have listed above can not possibly happen. It can not appear out of nowhere if it doesn't affect saved games. 

I read it again and i agree, it doesn't make sense

12 minutes ago, davehanson said:

A lot of people have commented saying that it shouldn't be forever. But, FIFA/UEFA have indefinetley banned them - at the moment that means they will be banned forever. They obviously won't. However, anything other than following UEFA/FIFA laws as they are at the moment is just a stab in the dark.

So, anyone saying they shouldn't be banned forever, how long should they be banned for? (In your opinion).

But in FM, they will. That's the problem.

In my opinion, SI should make an educated guess like they've done quite skillfully so many times before. Just like with Brexit and EU enlargements.

Maybe in one timeline the restrictions end after two seasons. In another they end after four. Their guess is as good as anyone's, and I wouldn't blame them for an overly optimistic or pessimistic guess.

There are so many intelligent ways these scenarios could have been implemented while still being respectful, plausible, and most importantly: fun.

I can't unsee the eternal war from my game right now. It's making me want to just drop it for good. Heck, even my current game in Scotland where I'm in the middle of 2024 will be affected. That really, really sucks.

And just to preemptively counter any inane responses (btw, not targeting you here, dave) - yes, the real war is an absolute nightmare. It obviously doesn't even compare to any of our first world problems here, but this is the FM forum after all. I have donated to humanitarian organisations helping out the victims, and I suggest everyone who can do the same.

37 minutes ago, Metal said:

There is no war on the game this isn't cod. Simply Russian teams and nation have been banned just like in real life and they're not coming back no matter how much moaning you do. Just like greenwood has been removed from the game just like in real life he's been removed from Man United.

But the game begins 2021 IRL not war yet. (22.1 db) Winter transfer IRL 2022.01-02 it is not affected, the war 2022.02-03. affects it.

3 hours ago, Esben Knudsen said:

But in FM, they will. That's the problem.

In my opinion, SI should make an educated guess like they've done quite skillfully so many times before. Just like with Brexit and EU enlargements.

Maybe in one timeline the restrictions end after two seasons. In another they end after four. Their guess is as good as anyone's, and I wouldn't blame them for an overly optimistic or pessimistic guess.

There are so many intelligent ways these scenarios could have been implemented while still being respectful, plausible, and most importantly: fun.

I can't unsee the eternal war from my game right now. It's making me want to just drop it for good. Heck, even my current game in Scotland where I'm in the middle of 2024 will be affected. That really, really sucks.

And just to preemptively counter any inane responses (btw, not targeting you here, dave) - yes, the real war is an absolute nightmare. It obviously doesn't even compare to any of our first world problems here, but this is the FM forum after all. I have donated to humanitarian organisations helping out the victims, and I suggest everyone who can do the same.

No they won't. In future versions of FM the ban will be lifted when RL lifts the ban, if that makes sense?

And, the two suggestions so far, 1 year and your 2 seasons: If I told you Germany (as East and West) were not involved in European/International competitons for 8 years and 5 years respectivley after WW2 and then suggested that Russia should be banned for about 6 years as I think that is fair, what would you say?

And this is where SI have an issue. It isn't like Brexit. Brexit we knew would happen, we just didn't know the state of it. SI guessed and made various scenarios. Let me throw something out there - if Russia occupy Ukaraine I can't see Russia or it's clubs ever being let back in European/World competition. So, all those: The war will end. Yes it will, but nobody knows how or what will happen when it does.

3 hours ago, Nicenoise said:

Do anyone believe that si will make a patch for 22 fm after unban?

Russia won't be unbanned before the life cycle of FM22 is over. I personally can't see them being unbanned from European/World football for at least 5 years.

Edited by davehanson

Russia being banned indefinitely in FM is no different to the likes of Mason Greenwood being banned indefinitely FM to their respective real life indefinite bans. If/when the bans are lifted in real life, then it should be lifted in FM. Until then they are still currently banned indefinitely. It's actually not a unique treatment. 

We can debate this back and forth, but ultimately this is the decision, and given how long it took them to decide and implement it, i very much doubt its going to change unless the real world scenario changes

18 minutes ago, davehanson said:

No they won't. In future versions of FM the ban will be lifted when RL lifts the ban, if that makes sense?

And, the two suggestions so far, 1 year and your 2 seasons: If I told you Germany (as East and West) were not involved in European/International competitons for 8 years and 5 years respectivley after WW2 and then suggested that Russia should be banned for about 6 years as I think that is fair, what would you say?

And this is where SI have an issue. It isn't like Brexit. Brexit we knew would happen, we just didn't know the state of it. SI guessed and made various scenarios. Let me throw something out there - if Russia occupy Ukaraine I can't see Russia or it's clubs ever being let back in European/World competition. So, all those: The war will end. Yes it will, but nobody knows how or what will happen when it does.

OK. Easy question, when does the ban irl starts? When does a new game in fm start? 

Edited by Benjamin_Ng

7 minutes ago, Benjamin_Ng said:

OK. Easy question, when does the ban irl starts? When does a new game in fm start? 

Easy question. When did Newcastle buy: Trippier? When did Milan buy Vlahovic? When did Ali go to Everton? When did Coutinho go to Villa? Now, when the game starts in June/July 2021 where are these players?

Edited by davehanson

Genuinely interested, how come on FM take overs of Chelsea or Arsenal for example aren’t always tycoon takeovers, when in reality only the mega billionaires would be taking over. Same as all prem clubs really now a days. Also can someone tell me what the new rules are Chelsea are now on FM, tempted to do a save but kinda need to know if I’ll be able to be back buying players as normal once a takeover happens 

4 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Russia being banned indefinitely in FM is no different to the likes of Mason Greenwood being banned indefinitely FM to their respective real life indefinite bans. If/when the bans are lifted in real life, then it should be lifted in FM. Until then they are still currently banned indefinitely. It's actually not a unique treatment. 

We can debate this back and forth, but ultimately this is the decision, and given how long it took them to decide and implement it, i very much doubt its going to change unless the real world scenario changes

I can't believe you are comparing a national ban to a single player. SI aren't banning a single player they are banning an entire nation, leagues and drastically changing the landscape of future players. If we are to be realistic the chance of Ukraine remaining as Ukraine is slim, why aren't they also removed from the DB????

1 hour ago, ShadowWolf11 said:

I can't believe you are comparing a national ban to a single player. SI aren't banning a single player they are banning an entire nation, leagues and drastically changing the landscape of future players. If we are to be realistic the chance of Ukraine remaining as Ukraine is slim, why aren't they also removed from the DB????

Whether you can believe it or not, that's how's it's being treated. As long as the real life bans are currently indefinite, the FM bans will be indefinite. 

3 hours ago, zakbrown96 said:

Genuinely interested, how come on FM take overs of Chelsea or Arsenal for example aren’t always tycoon takeovers, when in reality only the mega billionaires would be taking over. Same as all prem clubs really now a days. Also can someone tell me what the new rules are Chelsea are now on FM, tempted to do a save but kinda need to know if I’ll be able to be back buying players as normal once a takeover happens 

There's basically a difference between, say, the Saudi group that bought Newcastle and were happy to just throw in £200m for transfers, and Mike Ashley, who was rich enough to buy and run the club, but wanted it to be, for the most part, self-sustaining as a business.

With Chelsea at the moment, from the start they're under a transfer ban, they can't sign new contracts with anyone, their income is reduced (due to the sanctions and sponsors pulling out), and they're up for sale. Usually, at some point during the first 1-2 seasons, they'd be bought, and those restrictions will then be removed, and they'll be able to move on as normal following the takeover.