[FM22] A Day Without Football is a Day Lost

SixPointer

Another month complete. In two minds wether to do an update with tactical input or  just cover it as standard and press on to the end of the season the cover it in detail. Thoughts? I have a day of tomorrow which will either be to finish the season or write a lengthy update. 

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Another month complete. In two minds wether to do an update with tactical input or  just cover it as standard and press on to the end of the season the cover it in detail. Thoughts? I have a day of tomorrow which will either be to finish the season or write a lengthy update. 

I think if you can complete the season and write it up afterwards would be great. Especially if you can find the time to put at least some of the tactical stuff in it. (Hopefully you have another free day)

12 minutes ago, Hootieleece said:

I think if you can complete the season and write it up afterwards would be great. Especially if you can find the time to put at least some of the tactical stuff in it. (Hopefully you have another free day)

Boats are due on Wednesday which means a really busy three weeks. So I think I’ll play out the season today. Then try do monthly updates while working the longer hours.

don’t want to rush a tactical update or it lacks the information. 

Edited by SixPointer

19 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Boats are due on Wednesday which means a really busy three weeks. So I think I’ll play out the season today. Then try do monthly updates while working the longer hours.

I often follow the same model - play like hell when I have a chunk of time to do it (with a few notes), then work on the updates here and there when I have a minute or five.

Looking forward to all the above - updates and tactics.

On 07/08/2022 at 15:40, SixPointer said:

Agreed! Look forward to seeing how the season turns out.

March 2026

adf1a98f5e37a63e1ec46a2b0bf525b5.png

Another perfect month as the winning machine rolls on, 15 from 15 now!

11 point lead in the Eredivisie, and a Europa league quarter final against Tottenham to look forward to.

d549c04a2338994c5af1e295f48287b3.png

The month starts with two 1-0 victories, with two different types of performance. Sparta saw the double pivot executed perfectly, leading to a fine defensive display. 

On the other hand Heerenveen saw a familiar display of dominance but with no real clinical/cutting edge, two examples of chances here, First half of clips is rated as 0.50 XG (full half chance) the second half of clip is only 0.25. 

Two great third man runs in behind, clean through on goal, personally i feel they should rate a lot closer to a 1.00, but i'm not sure what the game factors in. A late Mishouey strike came to the rescue and split the teams.

The following four games we found the net 12 times, showing that clinical edge that I have been craving and scoring some breathtaking goals in doing so.

In three of the four games a lower XG was registered than in the tight Heerenveen affair, so it really does come down to the moment rather than a flaw in the system. Pep famously said (“My job is taking you to the final 3rd and your job is to finish.”)

fadf99b2ce607311f6740bb21676762c.png

A fine month for young Mishouey, four goals in four starts again showing that there are some shining lights in the academy. Santos also hit his first goal and both have formed a solid partnership in the middle when they are called upon when resting Eriksen and Mijnans. The backups as a whole have excelled, really providing competition within the squad, Spurs next month means more of the same.

Shorter update as i need to press on with the challenge as am aware am running out of time so ill try round this season up ASAP.

Rough time for the Sparta fans.  To see their former manager come back and strangle their side so!  0.05 xG!  Ajax shots 15 to 1!

Good to see the machine rolling on.  Looks like Nice gave you a run for your money there and lots of entertainment for the neutrals.

13 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Rough time for the Sparta fans.  To see their former manager come back and strangle their side so!  0.05 xG!  Ajax shots 15 to 1!

Good to see the machine rolling on.  Looks like Nice gave you a run for your money there and lots of entertainment for the neutrals.

Well we needed to get revenge for the defeat earlier in the season!

the nice games were hugely entertaining, both sides had a go, both teams breaking the lines excellently. If I had more time I would have deep dived into them!

April 2026

8cd10423add6709c2e811ed7c5fd846a.png

Three sensational league wins, showing our might and why we are the biggest club in holland. Tottenham brough us right back down to earth, a defensive performance in London gave us hope but they finished us in Amsterdam.

Axel Dongen continues to shine with a tremendous display in Arnhem, three goals and an assist to boot. I love his movement for the second goal, quick one, two and cuts inside the full back and finishes well. He really has proved that attributes can be misleading and his off the ball has actually increased (area of concern) by two points since joining the first team.

Back to the wall stuff in London, a poor goal conceded from a corner was extremely disappointing and threw a huge spanner in the works. 0-0 would have been an ideal platform for the second leg (without hindsight)

PSV have endured a tough season, things continued in the same vein. Howedes' men completely played them off the park, a comprehensive 2-0 win, in which PSV failed to threaten vs Ajax free flowing football. The second goal being a fine example of this.

2f2bbe97b2df9e1474f1b5af2457de2d.png

The second leg against Spurs was a complete disaster, our clinical edge fell away and while they took theirs to another level. 2.53 XG vs 1.82, which throws up issues at both ends of the pitch, chances must be taken in these sorts of games. 

While questions have to be asked about young Podlech being kept as the full time number one. He has struggled with consistency but has also put in some fine displays, I suppose at 21 you have to expect this, but something that will be reviewed come the summer.

d5a00686850e140a929166e3281c2480.png

Mission accomplished on the league front, with a helping hand from my former club who dispatched their city rivals to seal their fate, they also made it back to back KNVB Beker wins.

9c2b46b353670d48b96528708cfe2660.png

The title winners celebrated in style, dismantling bottom of the league showing no mercy and they hit them for six, the star of the show being young Santos, who like Mishouey is now really coming into his own. Go Ahead are certainly no world beaters but it was a nice way to celebrate the trophy being presented in Amsterdam.

Technically this opens up stage three.

(Take over a club in a 3/3.5 star league and win two league titles and a domestic cup)

Now I'm going to put this to you, the people. The champions league win can be done at any stage between 2-4, as you can only manage in 3.5 star league as a maximum in these stages. Now the question is this. Should i now move onto another league and chase the next stage? or should i stay put at Ajax and attempt to win the champions league.

Ajax is probably one of the biggest clubs if not the biggest in the 3.5 star leagues, add to the fact they have a rich history in the tournament. Now I am not too fussed to stay here for let's say 3/4 seasons and try to win it. I am also not adverse to moving on as the next stage is open. What's the most realistic route? Is the challenge rules that I should move? I am not totally sure. I'd like some feedback here, especially before heading into the close season.

Personally am happy at Ajax, the overhaul is nearly complete, the recutiemnt model is being more refined back to the Ajax we all know. But if people consider stage two now complete and its time to move on i will do so. I will link the orginal thread for people to help make an informed decison, there is time as i round up the last of this season......

The Scope Of Europe

ff4af84fcb2024ebe1e681ab6364dddd.png

The 3.5 star leagues as follow, France, Portugal, Holland, Belgium, Turkey, Russia, Greece. Clubs considered bigger than Ajax within these leagues are Porto and PSG, while Monaco, Lillle, Nice, Marseille, Sporting CP and the other two dutch giants are considered on par.

PSG is the only job that looks remotely available but i genuinely feel that would kill the save as where do you go from there, they completely out match the whole of Ligue 1 so it's about lopsided. 

Just a little more background on what's actually going on, just in case the feedback is for the challenge to continue i should attempt to move. I would be more inclined to go to Stade Reims but I don't feel that's a realistic move from Ajax.

Maybe head to Belgium or Portugal?

I would have loved your taking on PSG as an "underdog" from Ligue 1. ASSE, OL, or Bordeaux would have been perfect for a long run Ajax style run fighting for the Ligue 1 Title and Champions League against PSG.

But probably just stay at Ajax and win Champion's League with them over the next 3-4 Seasons.

Edited by Hootieleece

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

Maybe head to Belgium or Portugal?

I would have loved your taking on PSG as an "underdog" from Ligue 1. ASSE, OL, or Bordeaux would have been perfect for a long run Ajax style run fighting for the Ligue 1 Title and Champions League against PSG.

But probably just stay at Ajax and win Champion's League with them over the next 3-4 Seasons.

I never checked the PSG squad to be honest. I just don’t feel they are a underdog. If I went there and won the UCL it wouldn’t be a shock.

Happel went to Belgium (football has changed a lot) but it would be a step down in game.

I have no objection to leaving Ajax ( a new league would be nice) the issue is a lack of a realistic enough option for now.

I do however feel sort of oblige to move. I may comment on the challenge page and see what people who done or previously suggest. 

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

I never checked the PSG squad to be honest. I just don’t feel they are a underdog. If I went there and won the UCL it wouldn’t be a shock.

Happel went to Belgium (football has changed a lot) but it would be a step down in game.

I have no objection to leaving Ajax ( a new league would be nice) the issue is a lack of a realistic enough option for now.

I do however feel sort of oblige to move. I may comment on the challenge page and see what people who done or previously suggest. 

I didn't mean PSG was the underdog. 

Congrats on the league win! 
On the question of a move, I feel like Ajax might be your best chance at a CL win, especially with Howedes knowing the club and having a recruitment set up. You can focus most of your energy on the CL and make a go of it. Problem is, it only takes a bad match or two and you’re out of the CL and have to wait another season.
Moving would give you a chance to potentially fight on multiple fronts (in terms of the challenge) and pick your battles depending on how things are going. Of the other 3-3.5 leagues, it’s really only France and Portugal that give you any chance, and in France you have to deal with PSG (feel like managing them would be, as you say, not in the spirit of the challenge.) Seems like aiming for Portugal and either Porto or Benfica would be the way to go if you choose to move.

30 minutes ago, Hootieleece said:

I didn't mean PSG was the underdog. 

Nah I agree with you. If a Lyon or Marseille were to come up I would jump at the chance. 

25 minutes ago, 13th Man said:

Congrats on the league win! 
On the question of a move, I feel like Ajax might be your best chance at a CL win, especially with Howedes knowing the club and having a recruitment set up. You can focus most of your energy on the CL and make a go of it. Problem is, it only takes a bad match or two and you’re out of the CL and have to wait another season.
Moving would give you a chance to potentially fight on multiple fronts (in terms of the challenge) and pick your battles depending on how things are going. Of the other 3-3.5 leagues, it’s really only France and Portugal that give you any chance, and in France you have to deal with PSG (feel like managing them would be, as you say, not in the spirit of the challenge.) Seems like aiming for Portugal and either Porto or Benfica would be the way to go if you choose to move.

Thanks bud! 

yeah I totally agree. I change it league would be nice but I do have everything in place at Ajax and are still a squad in transition so it’s not as if my work is complete.

I took Sparta to there realistic ceiling, I don’t feel I’ve done that with Ajax just yet. I think if the right team was there and available I would definitely move on so perhaps over the summer it may come to light. 

16 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

took Sparta to there realistic ceiling, I don’t feel I’ve done that with Ajax just yet. I think if the right team was there and available I would definitely move on so perhaps over the summer it may come to light.

Think this is the way to go. Keep an eye open for opportunities, but see about taking Ajax to the next level.

May 2026

806eb56eb2540e80af8ed82dd476822e.png

Sadly the loss in Rotterdam brought to the end our incredible winning run, costing us the chance of a record points total in the league. Uforntaley set plays cost us yet again, especially poor after racing into a 1-0 lead.

FC Twente also came from behind to take all three points, with the record point total up in the air. I decided that I would play whack of youngsters to enlighten them to the challenge of first team football. 

The final game of the season the big hitters came back in, finishing with a nice away win to round off a very successful first campaign. It was to be the final match in Willem II current stadion as they move to a new one so i wanted to leave a mark.

6dbbfb94298ad8e428bdd90293d71170.png

10 point gap to Feyenoord, Sparta kept themselves in the hunt, nice to see my work there has had a lasting effect. Utreht break into the top four, PSV has a dreadful season by their standards and will require a european playoff win to make the continental stage next season.

I'll be back with a more in depth review of the team, tactics and players hopefully tomorrow.

47 minutes ago, DavidBeckham said:

Congrats on the league win mate! onwards and upwards! 

thanks my man! sorry i havent had much time to check in on your save! hopefully next week things will become a little less rushed

2 minutes ago, Sonic Youth said:

Congrats on winning the league with Ajax.

I think stay with Ajax. Benfica/Porto would be the sideways move I see.

I think it’s more or less Ajax until as such a time as the right club comes available. Yeah Portugal or France would be sensible moves I think. Either the big three in Portugal or Lyon and Marseille in France. Again tho I feel these are Similar in stature of Ajax. But at least it would allow me to tackle other parts of the challenge while attempting to win. UCL.

2025/2026 Analysis

Tactical

b38ee44341ae4bc392096f4f8964cd70.png

The Salida shape, and Double Pivot shape are pencilled in for some refurbishment over the summer. Moving away from systems that I try to balance equally, I think I may return to a clear overload/underload side.

Not only for attacking advantages but it also gives me the ability to defend a certain flank if required. (Axel Dongen, done this against Marvin Park)

Fewer defensive actions in the final third, winning the ball at a higher rate than average and mostly in the same area. Many more passes and again in the area of turnover, average number of possession losses, with a lot fewer in our defensive third. (Think these all tie in with the overall tactical ideals)

In terms of the zone maps I'm happy with our tactical performance. Loose possession appears a worry, however when compared with our lack of individual key passes i don't think it's worth blunting the attack. (second most chances created, most goals scored)

d10b3a2d78dab65bb06dc6c01d4359cf.png

Goals win games, and as attacking manager it's critical to the cause.

Placed shots rank the highest which I would expect with the style of play, which of course ties in with our high proportion of through balls for those goals. Heading and crossing are virtually non existent (a mean feat in FM) which gives me great joy, as I do not desire these in the slightest.

In terms of spread, the goals come mostly in the first half but it would be a big statement to say that the second half was poor. A full pre-season and hopefully a more settled team may add to that second half performance, the other thing to consider is I often take my foot off the gas if we take a comfortable leaf.

The assist locations are nicely balanced, and with 18 coming from wide areas (brilliant when crossing is limited) and 16 from central attacking third i cant have any complaints about being lopsided. Goals are predominantly scored centrally and 18 from this central third man run sums up my tactical thinking perfectly. 15 from the flanks is pleasing considering they are often used as decoys to stretch play.

Player Performance

90de82d89c50f6ccc4117510fe1b1c31.png

Luka Podlech, enjoyed a reasonable introduction to first team football. When compared to Justin Bijlow, best in the league and at feyenoord (title rivals) it's clear he is still lacking in some aspects. His poors save percentage of 69% is a worry (lowest of all top 6 keepers) but his average rating, con/90, and passing numbers are all solid enough. 

At 21 he is still a baby in goalkeeping terms, only Verbruggen is under the age of 27 when it comes to these comparisons. My concern is Podlech still resembles a gamble, with his mentals and physical attributes a lot weaker than his technical attributes. I'm torn between going out and getting a more established NO.1. While giving Podlech more time to be shaped into one, perhaps on loan.

Goals conceded from set plays have been an issue so it may be a case of finding a keeper who can help aid this achilles heel. Something to look into over the summer and of course the right player has to be available. Podlech is good but I may need to look for class.

33b5993b8c8cf74a02013426088a7765.png

Same issues carry on till the end of the season. A real lack of aerial presence at CB. One issue I never considered was these guys attacking set plays perhaps skewing their numbers, however it's been recognisable in particular for Garcia who is often overpowered.

Natan i can accept, as with Kana due to the fact he tackles and intercepts well, Garcia and Mbete really don't do either well. If an offer came in for Garcia I would happily move him on, and Mbete won't be held onto past his loan deal. CB definitely looks to be an area to strengthen.

6964d0c731230b43a4567a5d43bb33f2.png

I do have a right footed CB in Hugo Bakker who is tipped for the top. I signed him from PEC Zwolle in the summer for 750k, so if Garcia goes I have to be careful not to block his Pathway. He got some minutes at the tailend of last season and that will continue it to next season.

No left footer in the youth ranks at the minute so most likely will be a purchase in that department, both at first team and youth level.

bf1cefca65edb11d9b7f80862a22cc68.png
Hasenhutl carried on where he left off at Sparta and is highly tipped to be awarded again. Kirtsiansen is one of the most pleasing players this season, a typical Ajax buy, he's made the step up from danish football and nailed 10 assists. Ostjic has performed when called upon and the youngster looks to have a huge future.

The Collanader experiment seems to have backfired, trying to convert him from winger to wing back has given very mixed results to say the least. Three big mistakes and lack of defensive qualities may lead to a very expensive flop from Howedes. With a 15 year old RWB coming in the intake if i choose to replace Collander i do have room to do so without blocking a player maybe 2/3 years away from being ready.

6e1acc0d6b9fc843bcb5e7d11253154a.png

Much like Hasenhutl, Mijnans showed the step up in class from Sparta, by smashing 15 goals from midfield. Eriksen remains to be effective well into his 30's (maybe not at united) with 15 direct goal involvements.

However, it's young Misehouy who has me most excited. I gave him his chance to step up at the start of the season and when Gravenberch left he filled the void, (The Ajax cycle). Santos looks the real deal and orth every penny and with two young guns sitting in waiting its a strong area of the team. No concerns here even if Eriksen starts to decline.

I have about 3/4 players who fall into that category of just not being Ajax level but good players, i will need to access and make decisions as hoarding and loaning out is really going to end up blocking pathways, while the funds generated could be switched back into the under 18's.

These sales often lead to why Ajax are leading in this department all the time, the academy churns out brilliant talent year after year but some don't make first team back are definitely at a good eredivisie level.

b2843d1ce4f2e7241d0c1f35e990b7a3.png

Axel Dongen, almost became a forgotten son, which is why i have to tred carfeully abouy my disccusoon above. He knocked it out the park since being given his chance and just goes from stregeth to stregth. His directness is incrdible and his goal involments specctlar in such a short space of time, he finished the season top of teh leagues conversion rate, so this again shows that attributes arent always everything.

Tsygankoc and Schjeldrup had fine first seasons at the club, but i will be expectiing more consietncet from the latter foing forward. Goals am not overllay concerend about as they have often veen used as decoys and hyrbid wide playmakers.

Tadic closes his career with 15 goal invovments, the serbia can be proud of his achievemenbtrs at the club his phenomal pentaly record this season a big plus. He has already been replaced and for sometime which come the recurtiment will be revevaled.

fa7a1992a8fcca9d8f3b2c7ffde3647b.png

In the striker department only one man mattered, Espositio smashed home 26 goals, a complete baragian at 18 million Euros and a true Ajax type signing. A complete forward in every sense.

The issue lies with the man, Tadic didn't enjoy the F9 like i thought, Suarez was finished (now under 18 coach) Barbosa never really got a chance and knapen looks like a potential star F9 but is yet to make the breakthrough.

This is leading to an area of investment again this summer, I feel I need something a little different here. I think I need a powerful or target type striker or perhaps a ruthless presser. The UCL will throw up some tough away days where I may need to have something different in the squad.

Potential Shortlist

• GK first choice 
  • RB Backup
  • LCB Backup/Hot prospect
  • RW Hot prospect (signed)
  • CF back up (differnt type)

10 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Left Footed CB's. Do you play them on the left of the pairing or the right for the long diagonal passes?

Decent CF types that play F9 are hard to come by.....you may have a better chance converting an AMC.

left always lcb on cb pairings

i dont need another F9 type knappen and Espositio can do the job. Im thinking a need a more physical agressives striker

2 hours ago, SixPointer said:

left always lcb on cb pairings

i dont need another F9 type knappen and Espositio can do the job. Im thinking a need a more physical agressives striker

Maybe just like in real life, you can bring back The lost son Brian Brobbey. But i can understand, he is not good enough developed by the AI or is to much money. 

Edited by rich ruzzian

15 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Left Footed CB's. Do you play them on the left of the pairing or the right for the long diagonal passes?

Decent CF types that play F9 are hard to come by.....you may have a better chance converting an AMC.

1 hour ago, rich ruzzian said:

Maybe just like in real life, you can bring back The lost son Brian Brobbey. But i can understand, he is not good enough developed by the AI or is to much money. 

to be honest the more i look at Esposito the more i consider going for a out and out poacher, pressing forward, speed demon. Mario Gomez looks the only real target forward i would bring in and am not sure at 29 he is the profile i like

Enjoyed that deeper dive into the statistical side - some really strong performances from your boys, particularly Van Axel Dongen.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing how you approach this summer without that huge clearout you instigated last time around.

On 16/08/2022 at 21:58, _Ben_ said:

Enjoyed that deeper dive into the statistical side - some really strong performances from your boys, particularly Van Axel Dongen.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing how you approach this summer without that huge clearout you instigated last time around.

Summer has been a tricky one! Between working being incredibly busy and my in game plans. I’ve been picking away at the plan but limited time often sees me change my mind. Am trying to add some diversity to the squad to allow me to vary certain things for certain opponents or situations. 

As it stands am looking for an aggressive LCB, a striker with a different skill set from Esposito, a more creative six.

My biggest dilemma is between the posts. I want to give Podlech a chance but am not sure how much I trust him, his mentals worry me. The dilemma is I can’t seem to find a goalkeeper that ticks all my boxes. 

2 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Summer has been a tricky one! Between working being incredibly busy and my in game plans. I’ve been picking away at the plan but limited time often sees me change my mind. Am trying to add some diversity to the squad to allow me to vary certain things for certain opponents or situations.  to m

As it stands am looking for an aggressive LCB, a striker with a different skill set from Esposito, a more creative six.

My biggest dilemma is between the posts. I want to give Podlech a chance but am not sure how much I trust him, his mentals worry me. The dilemma is I can’t seem to find a goalkeeper that ticks all my boxes. 

How old is Podlech? Does he make many mistakes?  
I really like the more creative six. Alvarez is just not really a Ajax player to me. 

1 hour ago, rich ruzzian said:

How old is Podlech? Does he make many mistakes?  
I really like the more creative six. Alvarez is just not really a Ajax player to me. 

He is 21. Not glaring mistakes that come to mind. I really need to dive into his stats and take a real good look before I fully commit to my decision.

His save ratio was a far cry from his expected save. Which is a concern as we go long periods of dominance then he may have a that one big save I need from him and it doesn’t come off.

I think I may start the season with him first choice and see how he performs.

I have watched a lot of Alvarez in real life but his ball playing stats aren’t poor they are pretty reasonable. But I definitely need someone who can really orchestrate from deep when teams sit off us. 

Great save - have read every post and thoroughly enjoyed your style. I've lost some motivation on my own save and feel its gone as far as I can take it, yet the thought of starting all over again is worse. Would you consider uploading your save? Would love to be able to tinker around in the game world.

On 18/08/2022 at 07:44, SixPointer said:

Summer has been a tricky one! Between working being incredibly busy and my in game plans. I’ve been picking away at the plan but limited time often sees me change my mind. Am trying to add some diversity to the squad to allow me to vary certain things for certain opponents or situations. 

I would say that getting this squad balance, that can play in a multitude of styles under your ideology, that fit a profile and affordability for your club is probably the hardest thing and FM or real life manager can do!

I’ve played saves whereby I’ve had 20 odd players suited to a possession game but, in that occasion where I need big man, have been left short. Likewise, I’ve inherited squads with a variety of player types but zero cohesion, a mish-mash of personalities and a financially sketchy backdrop. 

I really want to read your process and thoughts about how you’re going to do it because, I think, it needs to go above and beyond a normal ‘recruitment drive!’

9 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

I would say that getting this squad balance, that can play in a multitude of styles under your ideology, that fit a profile and affordability for your club is probably the hardest thing and FM or real life manager can do!

I’ve played saves whereby I’ve had 20 odd players suited to a possession game but, in that occasion where I need big man, have been left short. Likewise, I’ve inherited squads with a variety of player types but zero cohesion, a mish-mash of personalities and a financially sketchy backdrop. 

I really want to read your process and thoughts about how you’re going to do it because, I think, it needs to go above and beyond a normal ‘recruitment drive!’

Certainly agree. Find players to fit the tactical philosophy and recruitment model while still being able to offer something a little different is hard.

Its easy to fill the squad with like minded players, but ideally I want smart, technical players across the board but just with slight variation to offer a different tool in the tool box. Wether that be offensive or defensive. This is where I find PPM’s to be a useful asset.

The window slammed shut last night in game and the summer business concluded. I’m mostly happy with my business I feel like I ticked most boxes. The goalkeeper area was probably the most fascinating saga of the summer.

I’m currently working 7 days 12 hours and probably for the next two weeks. So I’m going to have to do snippets of writing to get the update over. 

On 19/08/2022 at 11:22, Collectivism said:

Great save - have read every post and thoroughly enjoyed your style. I've lost some motivation on my own save and feel its gone as far as I can take it, yet the thought of starting all over again is worse. Would you consider uploading your save? Would love to be able to tinker around in the game world.

Thanks very much. 

I’m not sure how I do that. But I would. I have a end of season save from my first year with Ajax. (I keep it for stats as they get wiped).

I will message next time I am on the computer 

On 16/08/2022 at 22:00, _Ben_ said:

Double post, so I'll use it instead to ask for some updated screenshots, if I may:

• Hassenhutl
  • Mijnans
  • Misheouy

Thanks!

Hasenhutl - Profile - Progress

Mijnans - Profile - Progress

Misheouy - Profile - Progress

Van Dongen - Profile - Progress

I threw in Dongen for you as well, seeing as you played a big part in him getting his chance

Bolstering The Back

• More aggressive CB option
  • Two Outgoings
  • Goalkeeper?

Mbete would return to City, having not done enough. I'm looking for a more aggressive type of LCB, which will help tackle the aerial issues. Natan had a great first season, it's about providing him with some competition.

68859102aa5ba6628c4a8a81893434f3.png

Three options from my stat search, (80% HDR%) (85% TCK R) (90% Pas%) (AV RAT 7.00) was the criteria along with a max age of 21 and 1000 minutes.

Aursand is someone i tracked at Sparta, he signed for PSG before ending up at Standard. Maya was pointed out to me this summer from the scouts and while not everything is on view yet he looks a solid enough option.

Nestor i have tracked since January, already an established starter for River Plate. He leads the way statistically, mainly because he is the most balanced across the three and does everything well. I liked what the Analyst had to say and it backed up his case.

a993dc6a3caf1903ddc7d2abe8b89d66.png

7.5 million Euros is enough for River to part with him. While not the most technically gifted (11) for most key ball playing attributes, but he still managed 76 passes at 97% completion with 7 being key, granted in argentina but it's enough for him to get by.

His main selling point is his mental ability and mainly his bravery and PPM that he likes to dive into tackles, Ticking the box of a more aggressive option at LCB. At 21 he still has things to learn but he certainly fit the profile of the kind of pedigree I want to add.

4da46d0c792c00aaa4322256816f785b.png

Two summer signings that failed to impress Benedikt Howedes.

Garcia had come to finally live up to his promise having bounced around a few top clubs, it turns out getting caught under the ball was too much of an issue. When Lazio were willing to stump up 5 million euros more than he cost it was a no brainer.

Young Bakker (dubbed the new VVD) now has the chance to step up at 17 into the first team squad, already at 17 he has standout attributes in key areas (bravery being one). A move of textbook Ajax ideals, signed as a youth player from Zwolle then given a year in the academy before being brought through.

Collander was a deadline day signing last summer, a costly one at that! His failed experiment, I tried to convert him from defensive winger into a IWB/WB and simply put he made too many mistakes as well as costing too many fouls. A loss of 4 four million isn't the end of the world so it was wise to cash in on that now.

ee7d4e2c12511d9048b93d3bc3040fa0.png

To provide cover for Hasenhutl i turned to Shurandy Sambo (after main target signed for liverpool) I bought the former PSV academy star back to the Eredivisie after a move to Germany back fired for him.

I know he doesn't have the most complete attributes, but his historical stats from his four seasons in the top flight are solid, his last two years being very impressive. 24 years of age he still has a chance to come back and push for the heights he was tipped to reach.

91e8754a8a741638ce0572a2f0c91de2.png

Keeper Conundrum, three am looking at.

Trubin - Represents the best recommendation but he isn't really a sweeper keeper, he does however offer the best in terms of height and dealing with the corner issues. He also has potential to grow which fits an Ajax profile at 24. He also likes big matches.

Vandevoordt - The stat man, he once again comes on my radar, this is definitely his most impressive season stats wise. Far and above the best in Belgium and the best of the three. Very typical Ajax signing but i find his handling a weak point, i think an eye test is required as i really love his stats.

Maximenko - Gives us the best attribute spread, but has been distinctly average at Bayer this past season. Doesnt like big matches really puts me off, but is Ajax the place for this man to enter his prime.

The problem I had was i didnt feel like there were any huge upgrades on Luka, so for now I'm biding my time on this front.

Edited by SixPointer

On 21/08/2022 at 18:55, SixPointer said:

Hasenhutl - Profile - Progress

Mijnans - Profile - Progress

Misheouy - Profile - Progress

Van Dongen - Profile - Progress

I threw in Dongen for you as well, seeing as you played a big part in him getting his chance

Hasenhutl is just a monster! What a player you've got there: just remind me again of his history please? I know you brought him to Sparta at a really young age but have forgotten the bits around that.

On 21/08/2022 at 21:01, SixPointer said:

Nestor i have tracked since January, already an established starter for River Plate. He leads the way statistically, mainly because he is the most balanced across the three and does everything well. I liked what the Analyst had to say and it backed up his case.

I think he's a cracking signing! Just the kind of player that you described in your needs, too.

You mention your keeper conundrum and I can't help but think that, if ever I was in doubt, I'd not recruit anyone new. Just how I've always been in the transfer market.

It needn't be said but I'm loving the updates and invested in your save - keep it up!

6 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Hasenhutl is just a monster! What a player you've got there: just remind me again of his history please? I know you brought him to Sparta at a really young age but have forgotten the bits around that.

657e922ada136d069582e0afe14f052a.png

94b03342460cc1e3afababe594121740.png

Its crazy they still refer to him as a rookie! (played 102 Eredivisie games) his 4th award in a row, carrying on from his performances at sparta. I think he is the most consistent player I've ever had in my whole FM playing life.

Ajax feature heavily until he gets on the scene, and although i had a poor first intake in terms of volume i have one player who look like he will join this list in the future (more on him later) My record in this award is pretty special as one of my players has won it every year, starting with Emegha suppose it helps when you have a real gem, like Hasenhutl.

9 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

You mention your keeper conundrum and I can't help but think that, if ever I was in doubt, I'd not recruit anyone new. Just how I've always been in the transfer market.

7 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

If you need a new GK I would pick the Belgian, but I also agree with @_Ben_ that you really don't need one especially if the Defense improves in front of the GK.

This was my exact thoughts (I’ve already played first month of season to deadline)

So I decided to keep Luka on as the number one! But I still have concerns so it’s vital I keep tracking options! 

7 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Ajax feature heavily until he gets on the scene, and although i had a poor first intake in terms of volume i have one player who look like he will join this list in the future (more on him later) My record in this award is pretty special as one of my players has won it every year, starting with Emegha suppose it helps when you have a real gem, like Hasenhutl.

Looking forward to seeing what you plan to do with Brenet!

1 hour ago, _Ben_ said:

Looking forward to seeing what you plan to do with Brenet!

I plan on a small update on the youth players at the club. Last season was about securing the title at all costs to give me the chance to build. Now I need to make a clear plan for pathways to the first team. So I plan a little coverage on that.

First up though will be covering midfield additions. Like I said 12 hour shifts is once again is limiting my time. (Really why I’m so behind in challenge) so it will be small updates till I get going again.

Enjoyed the tactics post, though I’m a bit late to comment there so I’ll jump in on the CBs. I’ve been amazed at how important it is to have aggressive CBs in a possession system. Not so much against like minded sides, but against the sides that are looking to absorb pressure and hit on the counter. With CBs lacking aggression, they don’t fight for those long balls or at least put the opposition off. They also need the strength/physicals to back up their aggression, of course.
Adding a bit of that presence might also help a lot in defending set pieces. So much of those passages of play are all about how willing you are to put yourself on the line to get the ball out of your box.

On 20/08/2022 at 20:05, SixPointer said:

Thanks very much. 

I’m not sure how I do that. But I would. I have a end of season save from my first year with Ajax. (I keep it for stats as they get wiped).

I will message next time I am on the computer 

Perfect! I don’t think I’ll be able to live up the standards you’ve set but am thoroughly looking forward to the challenge. Much appreciated!

You Can't Stand Still

The first league title is in the bag at Ajax, but it would be foolish to rest on our laurels, by adding a more creative number six to the party it could help unlock a whole now aspect to our play.

Edson Alvarez registered 0.60 key passes per 90, from more defensive minded roles may i add. His ball playing attributes in FM are of a good standard, however I feel he is still more suited to keeping the team ticking over by winning the ball back and playing sensible passes, mainly due his supreme physical strength and footballing intelligence.

I felt in order to give us another weapon in our armoury that it would be wise to bring in someone with a little bit more like a quarterback in that area, dropping the creative hub for when teams sit back and allow us more space in our half to dictate from.

This is not to say Eddy would become redundant, in fact the complete opposite.

d856ffbff50f630d78367a942eea1a81.png

Inter Milan Offered 60 million Euros, as always my stance with this kind of offer is to approach it in the most realistic way I can achieve.

Would Ajax refuse 60 million, No, would they not perhaps try to convince Edson that they aspire for greater things and would sweaten his deal, Yes. This is exactly how I handled it and it appears this time Edson likes the idea.

This now allows me to find a more creative 6, knowing I have a more disciplined one tied down.

The fact I have also opted to sell Gracia and promote Bakker gives Eddy another angle, he is more than capable of being a centre back which gives me more coverage while bleeding my 17 year old starlet at the right times.

ece0b3525a52007eb48e1b9c520b17b7.png

The German joins his fellow countryman Howedes and should be the perfect foil to Edson going forward.

The former Bayern starlet, turn Hoffeinhim captain arrives to make sure we don't stand still (pardon the pun).

His 27.5 million release clause activated (a little more expensive of typical real life Ajax) and at 25 years of age he still has the pedigree to grow. Sealing the captain of a fellow porgressive club that is well recognised with a similar model helps round of that Ajax type of signing.

5e8c08c295bc428ea163508c2fa28dc5.png

The most chances created in the bundesliga, (19), 4th for  average rating, a consistent performer, who likes big matches along with 15 direct goal involvements each year for the last two seasons. I really pushed the boat out on the statistical side of this one.

The analysts and scouts have done their homework and it's the catalyst for the move, in particular how he compares to Edson in tackling stats, something that I would have expected the Mexican to lead the way.

His ppms in contrast to Edson make perfect sense for when the six requires to become a more creative influence on the game, they all point to killer balls much like this example here. Attribute spread further backs up his performance with high level ball playing abilities, with no glaring weaknesses to be really concerned about.

94279411d0e0a37c3ce56a1e496f92db.png

As far as Ajax type signings go, this one doesn't really get any closer. Tadic hung up his boots but this Brazilian kid had long been in the pipeline for his replacement. 7.5 million Euros was enough to pluck him away from Cruzeiro, where he impressed in his breakthrough season, before lighting up the division in his second, promotion has seen a period of realisation for the young man but at Ajax i'm positive he will go from strength to strength.

PPM's are exciting to see the least and complement his somewhat incredible attributes, (light on the teamwork) great for leading a press from the channel, physically unreal while having an eye for a pass and being able to deliver the ball as well. If I can get him settled in and guide him correctly there is nothing stopping him becoming a superstar.

Edited by SixPointer

Like the look of Scheppa but his finishing is a tad on the low side, but you can't teach Pace!

I hope you have a CF for the matches where a different approach (crosses and headers) is needed to get the goal.