[FM22] The Premier League Thread

stevemc

Screenshot-2020-12-20-at-08-18-28.png

Welcome to the FM22 Premier League thread

I've set up a number of club threads over the years, but they seem to get less and less traction, so thought it made sense to create a Premier League thread, so you can update your progress whichever your team, no matter what year or stage you are at in your FM22 save. Share your updates, signings, staff etc.

Despite the obvious save being Newcastle United, there is a good mix of challenges among the 20 teams, Norwich and Watford immediately jump out as challenges to fight off relegation. Higher up the table, can you restore Arsenal back to the glory days? Or start unemployed and take the Premier League job that becomes available?

Below is a brief summary of each club at the start of FM22 which might off you some inspiration to start a save in possibly the best league in the world... 

1.jpg.f9c4a63eb1805cc4f2491958d43a541b.jpg

2.jpg.806684198cbd175a666cf1c472b9e8e2.jpg

3.jpg.73baaa894e452d2a4fe691e2f7bfef67.jpg

4.jpg.50646e7c8305bc61e36b3c48fa1f6b8b.jpg

Edited by stevemc

Good to have this thread👍

I only played the one save last year, Bournemouth and did 11 seasons with them. They appealed to me because of the talent and potential in the squad to build on. 

For this year's version, looking at Crystal Palace, Brighton or Leeds to kind of do the same thing. Leaning towards Palace, some high potential talent at the back and exciting players up top. But the other two have things going for them too. Decisions hey 🤔

I definitely think palace will be a good one this year. Lots of young talent. 
Brighton and Burnley both good options as well with good cores. It would be good to develop an attractive playing style with Burnley, be a good long-term save. 

Inspired by Steven Gerrard's appointment, I have started with Aston Villa. Playing the default Gegenpress 433 and 4231, they have a really solid squad for it, no need for transfers in the first window which is good for me as I always start with it off. Some interesting youngsters as well like the Ramsey brothers, Chukwuemeka, Archer, Philogene-Bidace.

First match against Palace and then Liverpool, City, and Tottenham in quick succession.

Newcastle United: Season 1 (21/22)

I did what I usually do and I started unemployed, skipped through to December and played through until March when Newcastle United approached me. There wasn't many sackings in the Premier League, just Norwich City (which I didn't fancy) and Aston Villa (which I did a big save with a few years ago), so next up was the Geordie's, everyone else seems to be having fun with them so thought why not - good club to start my save at!

Anyway, I had signings turned off at the start of the game, but I was very surprised to see they've not bought or sold anyone in January, they were struggling too. They eventually sacked their manager and I took charge in mid-March. There was no expectations on me, so I was able to play through the remainder of the season with no pressure, looking for a suitable tactic. They were 15th when I took over, and we finished the season in 11th. I've settled on a 3-5-2 as my primary tactic, so I'm now spending the summer recruiting for that system.

1151681741_Screenshot2021-11-16at14_10_11.png.38d0f626c92fe516d3a85acaf7baf2a7.png

They squad is poor, so it's going to be a complete overhaul with the £190m budget they've given me.

304986599_Screenshot2021-11-15at19_52_32.thumb.png.7885bd0614c37e32f4350a1cb79aa88e.png

They have a couple of promising youngsters; Elliot Anderson looks a talent and a few weeks after I took over I got two elite talents through the intake; right-sided midfielder Matt Swift and centre-back James Gayle :D 

On 12/11/2021 at 17:12, Billy0810 said:

I definitely think palace will be a good one this year. Lots of young talent. 
Brighton and Burnley both good options as well with good cores. It would be good to develop an attractive playing style with Burnley, be a good long-term save. 

I'm currently playing with Burnley. Stuck to 4-4-2 and play wing play. Had a great first season finishing 9th. The highlight was beating an injury-ravaged Arsenal 6-2 at home! ...I won't talk about my opening day 6-1 loss to Man City though :D

Arsenal have since bid £60 million for Dwight McNeil. I imagine he'll be leaving if they offer slightly more so he will be difficult to replace. James Tarkowski also looks set to leave on a free transfer so I'm looking for a younger CB to partner Ben Mee. 

Chris Wood scores plenty as a Target Forward with decent high crosses from the wingers.

I have no expectations for this coming season but hope to push for a Europa League place the season after.

Newcastle United: Season 2 (22/23)

After starting unemployed and taking the job in March 2022, this summer was prime for a clear out and that's exactly what I've done, only Callum Wilson, Martin Dubravka, Jamaal Lascelles, Joe Willock, Allan Saint-Maximin, Freddie Woodman and Elliot Anderson returning from his season long loan, survived the cull.

I had a major staff turnover too, bringing in Roy Keane as my number two, Nicky Butt as Head of Youth Development, Luís Campos as Director of Football, Javier Ribalta as Technical Director and Martyn Glover as Chief Scout, as the highest profile appointments. The coaching is now at 4-5 star in all areas and the scouting set-up and been completely overhauled too. 

This is how my window went, split over the two screenshots as I bought some players as soon as the season ended:

54774854_Screenshot2021-11-17at15_19_19.thumb.png.6238090044277a7c902cf42306e6c54d.png

1870895877_Screenshot2021-11-17at15_19_27.thumb.png.e0f4c2617896df95dd8b358c973beaa0.png

I had a clear plan to build a 3-5-2 around strong, physical players, helping us dominate at set pieces too all with stronger, better personalities compared to their previous players and we now have a determined squad personality. Buzzing with the signings all in, window is still open so could be tempted on deadline day for a loan deal for a striker as Youssoufa Moukoko doesn't arrive until next Summer.

196245153_Screenshot2021-11-17at15_22_07.png.cf8d0669ba683a65fcc2f23172e3f73f.png

The boards expectation is just mid-table and a decent showing in the domestic cups so I think this season will be a breeze.

Edited by stevemc

Aston Villa - 21/22 Season Review

image.thumb.png.cf403db59d8782f96d0757fdd93aa142.png

Brilliant season for us. Didn't make a lot of signings, only one of note is Mady Camara who joined for £17.5 in Jan. Our formation of choice was the 433, as the 4231 was much less successful. It definitely got the best out of my forwards:

Ollie Watkins: 17 Goals and 5 Assists

Leon Bailey: 15 Goals and 7 Assists

Danny Ings: 13 Goals and 4 Assists

Emi Buendia: 13 Goals and 10 Assists

Bertrand Traore: 7 Goals and 3 Assists

Goals for next season is to keep our first team players and improve the depth with some young players. Palace definitely got some interesting players for me to pluck. Eze, Olise, Guehi. I definitely need full backs to compete with Targett and Cash and a CB if I can't keep hold of Tuanzebe.

On 09/11/2021 at 20:23, stevemc said:

Screenshot-2020-12-20-at-08-18-28.png

Welcome to the FM22 Premier League thread

I've set up a number of club threads over the years, but they seem to get less and less traction, so thought it made sense to create a Premier League thread, so you can update your progress whichever your team, no matter what year or stage you are at in your FM22 save. Share your updates, signings, staff etc.

Despite the obvious save being Newcastle United, there is a good mix of challenges among the 20 teams, Norwich and Watford immediately jump out as challenges to fight off relegation. Higher up the table, can you restore Arsenal back to the glory days? Or start unemployed and take the Premier League job that becomes available?

Below is a brief summary of each club at the start of FM22 which might off you some inspiration to start a save in possibly the best league in the world... 

1.jpg.f9c4a63eb1805cc4f2491958d43a541b.jpg

2.jpg.806684198cbd175a666cf1c472b9e8e2.jpg

3.jpg.73baaa894e452d2a4fe691e2f7bfef67.jpg

4.jpg.50646e7c8305bc61e36b3c48fa1f6b8b.jpg

With the latest update spurs now have 100m transfer budget. Plus you can sell all the crap to Newcastle and have 200m to play with.

• 1 month later...
On 17/01/2022 at 09:04, DannyFM87 said:

Can't decide between Brentford, Crystal Palace, or Watford.

Brentford.. Plenty room for growth, Decent if not great squad, Stadium is a bit on the small side, but with progress hopefully they'll build a new one.

Palace are already established. Watford have very dislikeable owners

• 1 month later...

Any advice who to manage? wolves southampton leeds villa ın my mınd.Actually Burnley is my favoritey but ıts very hard to progress these all have better chances ın years to come

9 minutes ago, dido53 said:

Any advice who to manage? wolves southampton leeds villa ın my mınd.Actually Burnley is my favoritey but ıts very hard to progress these all have better chances ın years to come

Wolves are interesting given you can sell Semedo for nearly 70million in the first window in some cases and gain quite a big transfer budget to revamp the whole squad..

Leeds are brilliant with a great first team, loads of saleable assets and probably the best youth players in the league in terms of quantity certainly.

Villa have a good squad and a few youngsters, might be worth a go.

Southampton is difficult, no budget, a squad lacking depth or quality in a lot of positions.

17 dakika önce, Welshace said:

Wolves are interesting given you can sell Semedo for nearly 70million in the first window in some cases and gain quite a big transfer budget to revamp the whole squad..

Leeds are brilliant with a great first team, loads of saleable assets and probably the best youth players in the league in terms of quantity certainly.

Villa have a good squad and a few youngsters, might be worth a go.

Southampton is difficult, no budget, a squad lacking depth or quality in a lot of positions.

thanks for the reply.Wolves sounds the best actually ı belıeve the have good team 

leeds have raphınha amazıng talent and phılıpps

southamtpn have che livramento ward prowse and broja

but wolves seems the best for long term

On 10/03/2022 at 17:39, dido53 said:

thanks for the reply.Wolves sounds the best actually ı belıeve the have good team 

leeds have raphınha amazıng talent and phılıpps

southamtpn have che livramento ward prowse and broja

but wolves seems the best for long term

Wolves are interesting for sure.. it's basically a blank slate of a team to build on.. the only possible point of contention would be the proviso that you must purchase portuguese players to appease the board.. although that might be a positive for some

1 saat önce, Welshace said:

Wolves are interesting for sure.. it's basically a blank slate of a team to build on.. the only possible point of contention would be the proviso that you must purchase portuguese players to appease the board.. although that might be a positive for some

ı agree sıgnıng portugues players are the only minus maybe last year ı had a long save wıth team around 5 years thats the maın problem untıl the board change.wolves have really good squad ı just cant get anythıng from coady hıs ratıngs are rubbısh.

leeds are good team but they lack fınıshıng and ıt drıves you crazy after some tıme :) ıt looks lıke gegenpress ıs way to go wıth them.

Southampton has good players to buılt on but u need to be patıent and rebuıld the squad wıth progress

ım stıll undecıded but wolves looks a bıt closer

16 saat önce, Dustman2015 said:

Southampton would be my choice, KWP and Livramento are BOSSES at wingback. Also Ward-Prowse is my favorite CM in the game. His set pieces are worth 3-4 wins a year alone

what tactıc would u use?they have great strıkers flat 442 or 352 ?:) tactıcs?ınstructıons? :)

• 4 weeks later...

It is very fun and enjoyable so far. Definitely wasn't expecting so much success in the first season but I'll take it, lots of ageing players in the squad that need to be replaced sooner rather than later (Vardy, Albrighton, Bertrand, Kasper, Evans, etc). However, not massive budgets in the second season (£40M). I'm enjoying not being top dog, but a nice dark horse, who can win the odd trophy now and then.

47 dakika önce, Lewis007 said:

It is very fun and enjoyable so far. Definitely wasn't expecting so much success in the first season but I'll take it, lots of ageing players in the squad that need to be replaced sooner rather than later (Vardy, Albrighton, Bertrand, Kasper, Evans, etc). However, not massive budgets in the second season (£40M). I'm enjoying not being top dog, but a nice dark horse, who can win the odd trophy now and then.

thank you.what tactic u used may ı ask? ı thınk ıf you looıkıng for a team outsıde top 6  leicester ıs the best choıce only urgent matter is find a replacement for vardy ın my opınıon :)

I play a 4-5-1 tiki-taka style. I think first season Leicester are predicted to finish 5th :eek: but I take your point! I am now nearing the end of my 2nd season and Vardy's stats fell off a cliff, so much so, I sold him in January to Ajax. Kasper has also told me that he will retire at the end of the season :( I think the most urgent position to fill in the first season is RW as there is no genuine star there - so I brought in Musiala from Bayern for £12.5M + 50% profit :D

2 dakika önce, Lewis007 said:

I play a 4-5-1 tiki-taka style. I think first season Leicester are predicted to finish 5th :eek: but I take your point! I am now nearing the end of my 2nd season and Vardy's stats fell off a cliff, so much so, I sold him in January to Ajax. Kasper has also told me that he will retire at the end of the season :( I think the most urgent position to fill in the first season is RW as there is no genuine star there - so I brought in Musiala from Bayern for £12.5M + 50% profit :D

great job frıend happy to hear that a fun save is goıng on :)

I've finished my first season with Brentford and we finished a respectable 14th, 11 points ahead of 15th placed Norwich but 5 more points would've got us 8th. 

In the rest of the Summer window, I signed Lewis-Potter (Hull), Cozza and Wahi (both Montpellier). In January, Lomonaco (a young CB from Lanus), Choudhury (Leicester) and Palmer (Man City - loan) added reinforcements. Jensen and Baptiste left us. We have the wonderfully-named Anselmo Garcia McNulty, a real-life Seville-born CB playing in Wolfsburg and for Ireland internationally, coming in the Summer. This means Pinnock and Jansson will probably move on. If I get decent offers for Norgaard, Onyeka or Dasilva, I'd probably let them go. Canos and Henry generally get interest but few offers but I wouldn't turn down crazy money for either as I think both are replaceable. Toney may get a large offer, and again, I think he could be replaced. Let's see how generous the board is.  

• 3 weeks later...

ı have fınıshed my second season with leicester city and reccomend them definately :) they have good young and  experienced players. ı become champion 2 years ın a row fırst season euro league wınner and second season ım at the fınal of champıons league :) ı bought adeyemı fırst season but sent back loan end of the season bought rice and hlozek.Rice was a suprise for me he wanted to leave and ı was quıck bought hım for 60 with add ons 80 :) Save ıs goıng very well just board has some very bıg expectations only downsıde ıs that and 2 season nothıng really good at youth ıntake 

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, Db25 said:

About to start a save with Brighton for the first time, anyone here any advice?

Try get Cucerella and Bissouma to sign long term contracts, Play Calceido as much as possible and look at bringing in players for countries outside the top ten to sell on for profit.

So has anyone seen Tottenham get relegated in the first season? I've seen them struggle and sit bottom half a few years in. But never seen them absolutely tank the first season. Was managing in the Championship. Saw before Christmas they had fired Conte and were around 17th, but they seemed to recover, then appointed Bielsea. I wasn't paying attention so I was shocked when I saw that they had won the Europa Conference League and then also finished 18th in the Prem. 

• 6 months later...
On 16/11/2021 at 14:26, stevemc said:

I did what I usually do and I started unemployed, skipped through to December and played through until March when Newcastle United approached me. There wasn't many sackings in the Premier League, just Norwich City (which I didn't fancy) and Aston Villa (which I did a big save with a few years ago), so next up was the Geordie's, everyone else seems to be having fun with them so thought why not - good club to start my save at!

Anyway, I had signings turned off at the start of the game, but I was very surprised to see they've not bought or sold anyone in January, they were struggling too. They eventually sacked their manager and I took charge in mid-March. There was no expectations on me, so I was able to play through the remainder of the season with no pressure, looking for a suitable tactic. They were 15th when I took over, and we finished the season in 11th. I've settled on a 3-5-2 as my primary tactic, so I'm now spending the summer recruiting for that system.

1151681741_Screenshot2021-11-16at14_10_11.png.38d0f626c92fe516d3a85acaf7baf2a7.png

They squad is poor, so it's going to be a complete overhaul with the £190m budget they've given me.

304986599_Screenshot2021-11-15at19_52_32.thumb.png.7885bd0614c37e32f4350a1cb79aa88e.png

Font on this skin looks magic.  Is there something like this for FM 23?

On 16/11/2021 at 14:26, stevemc said:

Font on this skin looks magic.  Is there something like this for FM 23?

Thanks mate!