Add the option for a more aggressive "continue" game

snootyjim

I'm aware of the "increase duration of processing breaks" option, but I'm really not convinced that it does anything!

What I'd like is the option to "Continue until my input is required" option.  If a player is unhappy and I can talk to them, then stop processing.  Or if a transfer offer has been rejected etc.

If we're in a winter break and nothing is going on, then why not process for 2 weeks until the next team meeting?  At the moment I can be brought back into the game three times in the same day when seemingly nothing has happened, and I have no idea why it's done it.  This is with the option enabled, by the way.

I feel like this would remove some of the temptation to holiday through quiet periods, which always leads to problems when the AI is forced to make decisions that we would rather make ourselves as managers.

17 hours ago, Renyy said:

Go to settings -> search "timeout" -> Choose the interval you want your game to continue automatically. 

Without any pause this functions exactly as the feature you're looking for.  It does require your input to be required though, it's not enough for it to only be an option, which I'd personally like as an improvement. 

That's the problem with this feature - it's completely useless because when you come back a bunch of players have become upset and your refusal to talk to them has made them unhappy and wanting to leave.

Neither holiday nor timeout actually work in a way that makes them usable, which is a shame for a game that involves so much background processing.

Edited by snootyjim

What you are suggest is actually game to process (like timeout), but to stop every time something appear and you want to add (like to talk a player). Basically like hitting the spacebar or continue button without to do it yourself. What's the difference? :confused: 

39 minutes ago, fc.cadoni said:

What you are suggest is actually game to process (like timeout), but to stop every time something appear and you want to add (like to talk a player). Basically like hitting the spacebar or continue button without to do it yourself. What's the difference? :confused: 

Because right now I have to press spacebar about 15 times before the next interaction.  That's a total waste of time.  I can't leave FM to process in the background because I need to keep coming back purely to press spacebar.

Edited by snootyjim

1 hour ago, Renyy said:

False

What a wonderfully presented argument.  I decided to double-check it, since you're calling me a liar, and hey, turns out you're wrong and I'm right.

I've enabled continue timeout https://imgur.com/a/lP6RGlg and a player has come with concerns, but the options to talk have vanished.  I've also received transfer offers that have just been sat there waiting for a response.

In future, if you're going to call people liars, do your research in advance.

1 hour ago, snootyjim said:

Because right now I have to press spacebar about 15 times before the next interaction.  That's a total waste of time.  I can't leave FM to process in the background because I need to keep coming back purely to press spacebar.

But with your suggestion there will no speed effect since will stop with the same frequency as is it now.

• SI Staff

Hey @snootyjim this would perhaps require changes in a couple of areas to work as you seem to intend. I know that time-out continue will push you beyond a number of interactions, and holiday mode bypasses even important events, so perhaps you could also look to determine what you feel needs to be the hold up points for this? 

31 minutes ago, Michael Sant said:

Hey @snootyjim this would perhaps require changes in a couple of areas to work as you seem to intend. I know that time-out continue will push you beyond a number of interactions, and holiday mode bypasses even important events, so perhaps you could also look to determine what you feel needs to be the hold up points for this? 

I'll give it a go, feel free to let me know if anything doesn't make sense.  It seems to me that there are roughly three levels of "interaction" on inbox messages.  Not sure how SI categorises them, but to me it's roughly:

1) Hard stops, e.g. submitting a team line-up or finalising a transfer, that you cannot continue through without actively making a choice.  In holiday mode the AI picks for you.

2) Time-sensitive interaction requests, e.g. when a player wants to talk I can choose to talk to them; when a transfer offer comes in I can choose whether to accept or reject, but if I ignore via pressing continue / timeouts they'll either expire or hit a hard stop

3) Passive only, e.g. news articles, U23 / international match reports, miscellaneous advice (which isn't time sensitive, e.g. recommending I give a player personalised training).

Right now, we know that holiday mode can blast through all three, but it's forced to decide with no input and make its own decisions - in my experience I don't trust them.

My expectation would be that "standard" behaviour is to halt at least daily, but if I go into preferences and select "aggressive continue" for want of better terminology, I'd expect it to keep going through anything in category 3, and stop only for things in category 1 or 2.  It is my understanding that the timeout came about to support network / online play, where you had to keep the game ticking over - it doesn't really feel like it was designed with single player in mind.

As an example, suppose that I'm in the middle of a winter break, and my next match is in 14 days.  What I'd like to do is press continue, go downstairs and make a cup of tea, and come back up to find that a lot of the processing has been done and I'm ready to pick my team for the match.  I'm happy to read through 14 unread messages, if they're all just notifying me of things that have happened.  If I get an offer for one of my players after 2 days, then fair enough, it has stopped automatically and I'll take a look at it, accept / reject and then continue again.  I'd like to interact with that, rather than it be ignored.

What I find right now is that I hit continue, and then find that FM has stopped later that same day for no obvious reason.  So I press it again, and then it stops the following day and all I've got is a news report about my striker scoring for his country.  What I don't want is to have to press continue >10 times to get through 14 in-game days if nothing is actually happening.

Edited by snootyjim

I've just done a quick live test in my game to illustrate (noting I do have the option enabled for longer processing breaks).

Continue

-> The game pauses 3 hours later to show me an Under 19s match report

Continue

-> The game pauses 12 hours later to show me a rumour about someone wanting to buy my player, a recruitment advice summary, and that a shortlisted player is moving to Chelsea

Continue

-> The game pauses 8 hours later to show me a scout report and the scouting update

Continue

-> The game pauses 2 hours later to show me the fitness tests ahead of the next match and let me pick my team.

====> I would have liked to get here automatically with one click, but instead it was four.

~~~~~~

Continue

-> The game pauses 2 hours later to show me what my AM said in the press conference and that a player of mine received a ban for accumulating yellow cards

Continue

-> The game pauses the next day, but nothing in my inbox at all

Continue

-> The game pauses 1 hour later to show me some transfer offers received, which is fair enough (but why did it stop just 1 hour ahead of this?)

Continue

-> The game pauses immediately as the players want to discuss the transfer offers, which is fair enough

Continue

-> The game pauses 7 hours later to show me three scout reports including a next opposition report

Continue

-> The game pauses the next day to ask which players can play in the U19 match.  This is probably, on balance, fair enough.

Continue

-> The game pauses 12 hours later to show me two scout reports

Continue

-> The game pauses almost immediately, but nothing in my inbox

Continue

-> The game pauses 3 hours later to show me the week's training review

Continue

-> The game pauses 12 hours later to show me the team selection advice and some pre-match news, but I could happily deal with this on the morning of the game

Continue

-> The game pauses 1 hour later to show me the AM press conference responses

Continue

-> The game pauses 7 hours later to show me the U19 match report and a scout report

Continue

-> The game pauses 12 hours later on the morning of the game, but nothing in my inbox

Continue

-> The game pauses 5 hours later, nothing in my inbox

Continue

-> The game pauses 1 hour later, nothing in my inbox

Continue

-> The game pauses 2 hours later with fitness tests and I'm ready to pick my team

====> In this case, to get from a match on Wednesday to the next one on Sunday took me 16 clicks of the continue button.  For me, that's just way too much and in the vast majority of cases those pauses were not adding anything to the game.  There wasn't even anything to read, so I really have no idea why it paused at all.

• 3 months later...