The "hidden" attributes

Freak35

I think the way the game presents the "hidden" attributes of Consistency, Big Matches, and Injury Proneness can be improved greatly without much alteration to how they work beneath the screen.

• The Consistency, Injury Proneness, and Big Match information you are currently provided is derived from your coach/scouts ability to assess the player's hidden attribute.
  • It should be based soley on your coach/scout's experience with the player.
  • A player currently might be scouted as poor in big matches (because that's his hidden attribute), whilst performing well in the big matches the scout viewed
  • I'd propose that, if a scout watches a player put in consistent 7.1 performances for the duration of the scouting report, that scout should be telling your that he looks consistent, regardless of his hidden attributes
  • This results in the user making his own assessment about his players, relying more on feedback rather than being gifted the information by the assistants. I.e. You look at a player's injury record and decide if they're injury prone, not because your scout has snuck a peak at his "6 injury proneness" and told you,

This could flesh out youth development:

• Consistency can be roughly tracked through training performance/development/youth level performance
  • Big matches/pressure can be roughly tracked through important youth games/training performance with first team/initial performances for first team

So:

• Add another criticise performance dialog option, "you've been performing up and down recently, try to be more consistent". If it applies accurately to the player's recent performances, and you use it correctly on enough occasions, you should have a chance to improve the player's consistency
  • Add the option to send the player to therapy to manage how they deal with pressure and big matches. This could take some training workload to provide some tradeoff so it doesn't get abused.

I think there's a lot of scope for this type of improvement, and I'd like to see player personalities dealt with in a similar manner, eventually, although that would be a much longer post.

• 3 months later...
  • SI Staff

Consistency is an in-match only attribute, and so it having some basis on training performance and development would make it very misleading. The same also applies to Important Matches. 

Match ratings can be a measure but there are certain positions or certain tactics that could produce fairly consistent ratings. However it is stuff to keep in mind and we are always looking at how to improve the presentation of information in game so we'll keep these ideas in mind. Thanks for taking the time to suggest them.