[discussion] "[club] won't make a loan offer because they don't feel the player is interested in joining" - surely this is fundamentally not how loans work?

properdisco

Not much to add here, but this has always confused the life out of me and is a constant stumbling block every time I try to loan out my promising young players. Surely a club is supposed to make an offer to the club and then once accepted, be in talks with the player to gauge his interest? Why are they just making assumptions instead or do they somehow just magically know? In fact, if they're not going to make an offer why say anything at all to us? Seems ill thought out to me. I think it should be scrapped - just send me an offer instead! It's called a transfer window not a "I have a hunch your player isn't interested in us, just letting you know" window

Not much of a request, but it's not really a bug either so I didn't really know where to post this.

Edited by properdisco

• properdisco changed the title to [discussion] "[club] won't make a loan offer because they don't feel the player is interested in joining" - surely this is fundamentally not how loans work?

This is actually pretty realistic. Clubs will normally sound out a player's agent first.
If the player isn't going to sign a loan contract with them, whats the point in making you an offer.

Lots a reason a player might reject going to a club, because of his dislike of the club, the manager or their style of play
or just because he thinks they aren't good enough.

• 2 months later...
  • SI Staff

There is a lot more conversation and reaching out in football than is probably allowed by the rules. It's extremely rare perhaps outside of deadline days for there to be offers which players aren't already to an extent aware of/interested in. It's a bit of a grey area in football that the game has to simulate, because officially it would be against the rules.