I absolutely despise the Club World Cup

So i just got done playing the Club World Cup with Manchester United, knocked out by Manchester City on pens and it was the most frustrating experience ever on Football Manager.

- The fact it interrupts your teams break after a long season is frustrating, but not out of the ordinary.

- My assistant will send me a message saying the players are going on their pre season break and are due to return after the World Club Cup (as if the World Club Cup isn't even scheduled)

- I'll then get 3-4 more messages in the build up to the start of the tournament telling me that my players are going on multiple pre-season breaks at different times

So i play the first couple of easy group games and get through to play City in the knockout round

- All my players are absolutely exhausted (even the ones who didn't play the game before) despite having a 5 day break before the City game and a 2 day rest thrown in

- Same thing applies to City but their players aren't quite as tired (despite presumably not having a 2 day rest)

- As i said above, i can't even pick a rotated squad because i've my second choice team is knackered

So i play the match, pretty much dominate, miss chance after chance, the whole time it's annoying and not enjoyable because my players are all super tired and moments away from injury

- It goes to Extra Time (perfect when you're players are already tired)

- I get an injury after using all 4 subs (still create the best chances to score and miss them)

- They get an injury, ah well at least now it's even

- I get another injury right after, so now it's 9 vs 10

- Goes to pens and i lose

- Mbappe injured for 3 months, Greenwood minor injury

Now i realise that SOME of these complaints are just general football complaints, i can handle a bad day at the office or bad luck which costs me the game, but something is clearly wrong with either the implementation of training during this tournament or there's some other factor that effects why my players were so tired that it caused so many injuries. At no point in the previous season did this ever happen once during a busy schedule, if i had a tired player i could rest him for someone who didn't play, i can rest players for a day or two and it helps with recovery, none of this worked this time around.

Does anyone have any experience with this? or can anyone shed any light on why the above happened?

There are so many things wrong with this, but the main one is:

Teams can't train because they are travelling to the competition and straight back. Day after a game can be Travel, Rest, Travel at some points.

The answer would be to allow teams to run a Club World Cup Training camp out in the country it's hosted in. Like they would do for Internationals. Simple Fix really, they would this already for Euro's, World cup etc. We should even be able to schedule a warm weather training camp (Depending on location of course).

The top clubs have already been doing this for years, it feels like SI forgot the Club World Cup and thought they'd better add it, then ran out of time.

I'm likely to start a new 2nd save and will head to the pre-game editor forum to disable this competition.

I've not played in the Club World Cup in FM22 yet.

But someone mentioned international competitions, and they have always been broken on FM. In real life, some players manage 4, 5, 6, even 7 FULL games at major tournaments, even extra time in 1, 2, even 3 games, and they still don't seem so tired they can barely move.

In FM, it doesn't matter what a player's stamina or natural fitness is, they can't manage 2 games in a row at international tournaments without being ridiculously low on fitness for the next game. It is IMPOSSIBLE to play ANY player for 4 or 5 games in a row at international tournaments in FM.

I am amazed that after 20 odd years of producing these games that no-one from SI has realised this and changed it.

Yeah it’s definitely the same isssue you get with international tournaments where the game thinks they’re on holiday so they don’t train.

Although my last experience was it clashed with some under 21s tournament so lost about 4 or 5 of my players. Think I was only naming a handful of subs each game

On 11/12/2021 at 22:15, bluehefner said:

So i just got done playing the Club World Cup with Manchester United, knocked out by Manchester City on pens and it was the most frustrating experience ever on Football Manager.

- The fact it interrupts your teams break after a long season is frustrating, but not out of the ordinary.

- My assistant will send me a message saying the players are going on their pre season break and are due to return after the World Club Cup (as if the World Club Cup isn't even scheduled)

- I'll then get 3-4 more messages in the build up to the start of the tournament telling me that my players are going on multiple pre-season breaks at different times

So i play the first couple of easy group games and get through to play City in the knockout round

- All my players are absolutely exhausted (even the ones who didn't play the game before) despite having a 5 day break before the City game and a 2 day rest thrown in

- Same thing applies to City but their players aren't quite as tired (despite presumably not having a 2 day rest)

- As i said above, i can't even pick a rotated squad because i've my second choice team is knackered

So i play the match, pretty much dominate, miss chance after chance, the whole time it's annoying and not enjoyable because my players are all super tired and moments away from injury

- It goes to Extra Time (perfect when you're players are already tired)

- I get an injury after using all 4 subs (still create the best chances to score and miss them)

- They get an injury, ah well at least now it's even

- I get another injury right after, so now it's 9 vs 10

- Goes to pens and i lose

- Mbappe injured for 3 months, Greenwood minor injury

Now i realise that SOME of these complaints are just general football complaints, i can handle a bad day at the office or bad luck which costs me the game, but something is clearly wrong with either the implementation of training during this tournament or there's some other factor that effects why my players were so tired that it caused so many injuries. At no point in the previous season did this ever happen once during a busy schedule, if i had a tired player i could rest him for someone who didn't play, i can rest players for a day or two and it helps with recovery, none of this worked this time around.

Does anyone have any experience with this? or can anyone shed any light on why the above happened?

I understand your frustrations! I'd love it if someone made it a yearly thing where it's held in december or January and there's a host nation where all of the games are player. I'd love to recreate the Club World Cup but I'm useless at creating tournaments! I'm sure there's got to be someone out there who can do that though, it's just finding someone kind enough to do it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just did a search to see if they'd made it any better for FM22 and surprise surprise of course they haven't. I know SI lets loooooooooooads of things sit on their bug list or explain away as expected behaviour year after year - but how can they not do something as simple as enable a proper training regime to start say 10 days before your first match.

You cannot do anything but match training and recovery, it's so stupid.

My 'workaround' such as it is, is to win the first two matches - since the opposition is poor - and then in the 3rd match I flip my squad: keeper at striker, shortest attacking player in goal, etc... makes sure I lose and get the heck out of there. Then at least it doesn't get in the way of the actual preseason rota, which typically starts a day or two after that. And then we're a couple weeks away from friendlies, so no harm done long term to morale.

Edited by CaptCanuck

Can’t stand it. Ruins my pre season. Really awkward. Would like if they pushed it back 2/3 weeks so I could just use it as a pre season rather than needing the tournament where I lose 3/4 players to injury then have a week or two break then finish a pre season. Hate when I see I qualify for it.

I'm due to play it again at the end of my current season, going to see if i can set the training up so it doesn't tire my players and manage it the best way possible, i might document here the sequence of events/bugs leading up the tournament so it can be fixed in future versions.

Edited by bluehefner

I have been playing FM since 2004. As soon as the format of the Club Championship was made like a tournament with group stages, my players are constantly tired. They start first match tired, on the second another 11 start, but their heart stats are yellow since the beginning of the martch. For the first knocking match they can't even walk ... What kind of game they can play in such a condition? What is that stupid engine. I play my group matches in low tempo, low pressing stile, cautios, second one even deffensive and I get the same ****in ****, season after season. My opponents have green hearts, I have red ones.  The last example is even more interesting. I manage Real Madrid and get Chelsea for first knock round, (RM and Chelsea) both played final for Champions League. My team is "dead" Chelsea looks like they have not played even a single match before this day. Between my last match in group stage and my next one has only 1 day pause, where I can set recovery training and rest, but this does not help. HTF you have written this engine? I buy this game to get pleasure not nerves. 

Developers, are you kidding us?

Ok so here's how this seasons Club World Cup went.

So i get the message that my squad is going on break until 9th July 2029, despite the fact that my first Club World Cup fixture starts on 21st June.

start.PNG.27e003efa1ef324c1ed799e23fe077cb.PNG

Despite this training is still set up during this time, here is my two weeks of training for the duration of the Club World Cup.

training.thumb.PNG.0a4681bc066dba093f63622f4ba44a4a.PNG

As you can see i have a rest day after the first Al-Ahly game and 3 days between the Rangers game, also take note that i have a double recovery session after Rangers and a rest day before City, and 4 total days before City.

This is my squad right before the Rangers game (i made changes to include the fitter players for the tired ones, not seen here) i believe enough time has elapsed for my squad to all have green hearts, i can play away in the Champions League then away in the Premier League with no rest day and everyone be fine, also take note that under 'Injury Risk' it say's N/A, almost like the game isn't recognising we're training/playing.

1569040_20220113104540_1.thumb.png.dd32e3a1106512cfedfd3383b3d7f9cb.png

Here is my squad right before the City game, only one outfield player is full condition despite a 4 day gap between games, a full rest day and a recovery day, not even the subs that didn't come on verses Rangers are fully fit. City's players are in similar condition.

1569040_20220113113506_1.thumb.png.660a9f33c1baf12ff1326ac533d0371a.png

This is my squad right after losing 2-0 to City.

1569040_20220113114713_1.thumb.png.4ba572614206c45f66bbfc90363a946e.png

So i decide i'm going to give everyone a week's holiday before resuming pre-season, so i go to the 'rest' screen under training and it's empty.

1569040_20220113114918_1.thumb.png.387b089b84768572b2f154494e766c76.png

Again, it's like the game isn't recognising anyone is training.

Luckily i got knocked out and no injuries occurred (not that i wanted to get knocked out) but at least it's over and i can enjoy my save again, something is clearly wrong with how the game recognisees this tournament.

Edited by bluehefner

^The one 'plus' at least you've got a fair few green thumbs - otherwise your squad looks like mine just did (in 2038, now in December but this was a dumb cup year) - I am largely yellows with a mix of green and red. As you say the lack of recovery is killer, you can swap 11s between the first 2, but if you get a 3rd match whoever is available is half crocked.

I tried to get knocked out in the 2nd match, but the competition was so rubbish my backup keeper scored 2 goals playing as the lone striker :rolleyes:

Fortunately I got Juve and then managed to have a comfortable 3-1 loss.

Edited by CaptCanuck

i had this problem in fm21 i even reported it but i no longer can access those topics because all the bug sections of past game versions get hidden on release of the lastest version of the game.

but u can see my post about it in fm21 feedback thread and in my comment there u can see that i even point out this has happening in fm20, two game releases later and we still have the same problem there chilling with a smile in his face while all of us get frustrated with jadeness and 10% fitness condition players while playing those matches.

Edited by kertiek

Because of my addiction of signing wonderkids, the last time i was in the World Club Cup was with a team on FM21 and almost all of my team were on U21 duty so i didn't have enough players to fill out the squad and had to use grey players.

5 hours ago, Weed07 said:

Because of my addiction of signing wonderkids, the last time i was in the World Club Cup was with a team on FM21 and almost all of my team were on U21 duty so i didn't have enough players to fill out the squad and had to use grey players.

That's funny - I had 12 players at the u21, this season - but hopefully that means you gotta outta there quick if you are fielding players with a bunch of 6s and 7s attributes.

My problem with it isn't even the fitness. Its choosing a 23 man squad then losing half the players to the Olympics, or some random U23 tournament and I can't sub them in and out. I know my admin as manager should be a LOT better, but I shouldn't be able to pick players that won't be available during the World Club Cup. I chose 23 and regularly only have 17 available players, then theres the tiredness and injuries. 

Add to this the fact that the game doesn't recognise the tournament, it really should, so the 23 man squad remains in light training before the tournament starts. It's just out the blue so you don't have a chance, other teams are always never as bad. 

I think this, and making major international tournaments better in the game has to be a focus now. Even added kudos and work around these tournaments so they are highlighted as 'special' in the game. 

What is really more annoying is that the new edition (bugged) of the CWC was introduced in FM since FM21 (or even 20 maybe), while IRL this hasn't happened again. It's rather discussed, due to pandemic, to keep the old format for the CWC 2021 postponed to 2022.

So my question is?

Why this? It's not even working, and for the second year in a row.

Problem is that the pandemic made a mess of international calendars. Just talking about the scheduling in 2022 btw.

Can only echo the issues with players health. I always play the previous December version in my games via an edit file, because this CWC version is making a mess of my seasonal rhythm. I rather play a few matches in Japan or UAE than some tournament that is not properly planned.

Just played it in my save for the first time on FM22...couldn't register a chunk of my players because of under 21 tournament which overlapped, so had 5-6 subs each game. Cruised through the group with a minimal intensity tactic, but lost quarter final after 3 players going off injured due to awful condition. What a total waste of time.

On 23/01/2022 at 00:36, CaptCanuck said:

This is surely just out of spite on SI's part :lol:

51 matches and well over 100 goals between our Premier League and Champions League titles and they pick this?

CWCHuh.JPG.ae143a3dc64666abd6c49852ce299c69.JPG

Is this the final? And hey a good goal is a good goal

5 hours ago, Platinum said:

Is this the final? And hey a good goal is a good goal

No it's the second group game I was trying to intentionally lose to get out of playing the quarterfinal match.

My player with the brace - Vinicius - is my backup keeper who I played as a striker :lol: IIRC his 2nd goal was a 20m strike.

Edited by CaptCanuck

4 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

No it's the second group game I was trying to intentionally lose to get out of playing the quarterfinal match.

My player with the brace - Vinicius - is my backup keeper who I played as a striker :lol: IIRC his 2nd goal was a 20m strike.

Wait your backup goalkeeper who was playing as a defensive midfielder, scored your goal of the season??? Loool

Same thing happens with the World Cup, I think its a major reason you occasionally see a team of 130 avg CA winning the tournament. 

Another thing I noticed while coaching a national and domestic team is that if the player is selected for a national team they still participate in domestic team training and/or games if you let your assistant handle the friendly. I noticed this because I left players in the starting 11 who were on international duty and sure enough they got injured during the game. Or at least thats what the report told me. 

• 4 weeks later...

Back playing another one of these things and I picked my u18 squad, but because they were all still considered to be on holidays, my team is filled out with the grey guys!

image.png.b61dbba8291b1188da5d7de0337d33cc.png

2 players from my main squad did get included, but they can just enjoy the festivities from the bench :-) Definitely how I'll be handling this stupid event from now on.

Should be 2 quick losses and then no damage ahead of training camp.

Edited by CaptCanuck

• 1 month later...

I'm in it now - knackered players and half my squad on international duty for the first game. Surely SI have got it horribly wrong with this competition?? 

• 1 month later...

I've just played it in my current save with Man Utd. All my players were knackered having just got back from international duty. Got 2 the QF and played Dortmund - I finished the game with 7 players (had 5 injuries, 4 were after I'd used all my subs) and Dortmund had just 6. Lost on pens. Game would've been called on IRL, so can only think this is a bug.

image.thumb.png.247947d402dda00b5c29ab1512a13537.pngimage.thumb.png.7097ec8938547363d2c534a2a15ce13f.png

I’m now using a download that removes the competition. It’s such a pain in the ass. Ruins a pre season and a nice summer period to focus on transfers. 

I get through the first two games fine, two different 11s and that’s if they somehow all are available to play. By the 3rd game you unfortunately have already won the group but your players are shattered. Then the 4th game, you get half your squad injury and pray you lose the game. It’s no way to play the game hoping you lose. 

• 6 months later...

I've run a few test saves on FM23, and the Club World Cup seems to be working fine now. No major fitness issues or injuries in the knockout rounds anymore. So I believe it's been fixed.

Also, I cannot find a single bug report on the Bug Tracker about the CWC still being broken on FM23. If there were still issues, surely someone would have reported them by now?