Assistant suggests swapping a player with free kicks 15 with a player who has free kicks 12, any reason? or is it a bug?

Just now, HurkaDurk69 said:

It shows in the game, you can change what attributes get shown in the "Set Piece Takers"

Well i'm shocked, all the years i've played this game i've only relied on the default set piece attributes, assuming that was all that was needed, i no idea there were even other pre-sets.

My mistake and thank you for assisting :)

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, bluehefner said:

Small extra question though.

If you have someone with free kicks 12 and long shots 14 and someone with free kicks 13 and long shots 12, which do you pick for direct free kicks?

The one who scores more freekicks :brock:

Would say bear in mind their footedness in terms of what foot is more suited to the shot from that side of the pitch. 

On 13/12/2021 at 20:11, JAwtunes said:

@properdiscoI raised a question about free kicks a few months ago and got some really interesting feedback that changed how I select my set piece takers.  You might want to check it out.

So looking at that thread it seems to imply that crossing/corners/technique should be the attributes considered for wide/deep free kick takers? The free kick attribute should be ignored?

On 13/12/2021 at 19:25, Neil Brock said:

The one who scores more freekicks :brock:

Would say bear in mind their footedness in terms of what foot is more suited to the shot from that side of the pitch. 

Does the game allow you to choose the delivery of the free kick or will the players decide. I.e Inswinger, outswinger, shot or lay it-off to better striker of the ball. I find you can only set up the player role and position for each set play.

13 minutes ago, Garethjohn79 said:

Does the game allow you to choose the delivery of the free kick or will the players decide. I.e Inswinger, outswinger, shot or lay it-off to better striker of the ball. I find you can only set up the player role and position for each set play.

You can tell them to pass it to someone nearby but I believe inswinger/outswinger is decided by the players foot and the position of the free kick

Personally, I'm always dubious of whatever the assistant manager says. Their tactical knowledge is usually on the poor side, and they often give bad advice in that regard. They also might not have the best judgment in players current/potential ability, and may give you bad information on player selection, or who should take on various duties.

The thing you need to be concerned with in free kicks are the free kick skill, which foot they use, and technique. Typically you want to set up left footers on the right, and right footers on the left. Technique controls how much curl they can put on the ball. So, if you have a right footed free kick taker taking kicks on the right, you may very well want to choose a lower skill lefty for that duty. Also, someone with 12 free kicks and 14 technique might be more attractive than someone with 15 free kicks and 7 technique.

Furthermore, in any free kick scenario where you want them to pass to a certain someone, and not go for the free kick, you may want to choose someone with a good passing skill, as that's what it will use.

Also, when setting up set pieces, you may want to choose a corner taker for the indirect(wide) free kicks, over someone with free kicks, as the developers stated that if a free kick is closer to a corner, they use the corner skill.