Players Barely Developing

Apologies if this has already been brought up, and maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but it seems to me that player development is extremely slow in FM22.

I'm two and a half seasons in with Sheffield United and many of my players haven't had any of their technical attributes increase at all, with many also having no changes to their physical attributes. Mental stats fare slightly better, but then I still have some players who haven't gone up a single point across the board.

I had the best coaching staff in the Championship and now have the best staff in Premier League, coming first in all categories except fitness where I'm 2nd (and I have enough coaches that the work load for them is light across the board). I upgraded the facilities as quickly as I could each time and now have state-of-the-art training and youth facilities. I also give my younger players a lot of game time and I usually fill the training schedule with quite a heavy workload each week.

But then I have players like Jayden Bogle, who I believe is meant to have a fair bit of potential, who has made 79 appearances so far in this save but hasn't increased any of his technical attributes and has only gone up 1 in physical attributes. Mental attributes don't fare much better, with an increase of 4 spread across 3 skills. But given that 3 of those points are on determination and work rate, I feel like this has more to do with mentoring and disciplinary measures than actual training. I understand he's not going to be the finished product aged 23, but the lack of development makes me think he won't get anywhere reaching his potential.

I guess my question is, am I doing something wrong? Or am I expecting too much?

It´s been a weird mix for me and can´t really answer your question, I am not mentoring at all since I really havn´t had any suitable mentors in my squad, they are either too young or I don´t like some other "quirks", I have a lot of Argentinians who all play dirty and I am afraid of passing that onto others.

As for the training and development, it´s been a real weird mix for me as I have actually bought some players with 2 stars and 4+ star potential at the ages of 23-24, not something I have seen a lot of in other FM versions. I am all in for late bloomers though, so no complaints there, I actually applaud that.

I would say it´s been 50/50 at my club, some high potential players getting stuck in their development even if have high determination and perfectionist as personality. Others just sky rocket in stats and I have no idea why.

I have been wondering if assigning a 1 star coach to help a 5 star coach when it comes to burden actually drags down training a lot even though the screen says that training is still at 5 stars. Perhaps someone else can answer that.

Il y a 2 heures, SammyL a dit :

I understand he's not going to be the finished product aged 23 [...]

I'm afraid that in the FM universe, a player who's aged 23/24 mostly is the finished product, regardless of what the coaching staff - and especially the Assistant Manager(s) - say about their potential. They can make some very marginal gains here and there, but there's basically no significant development for a player who's 23/24 years old. On the other hand, a player who's 18 or older absolutely needs to play senior competitive football to make any sort of progress. Loan them or at least integrate them in your squad's rotation, even if at the expense of some ageing players. The staff's opinion of a player's potential can be wrong. Hell, when the media calls a player a "Wonderkid", it's only because they have a high level of ability relative tot heir age; not necessarily because they have high potential. To get a better representation of a player's progress, you need to look at their Attribute changes over time. If the curves look flat over the last year or so, it means that they don't have much more to offer, no matter what the staff says.  :onmehead:

Otherwise, you need to say what kind of training schedules you're running, what kind of training, did you set up an automated rest pattern depending of the players physical condition, etc. Even downloading some schedules is better than doing nothing at all, because the staff isn't particularly good at scheduling training. There's a lot of resources on the forum and fan sites, I encourage you to start digging around. :)

3 hours ago, SammyL said:

Apologies if this has already been brought up, and maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but it seems to me that player development is extremely slow in FM22.

I'm two and a half seasons in with Sheffield United and many of my players haven't had any of their technical attributes increase at all, with many also having no changes to their physical attributes. Mental stats fare slightly better, but then I still have some players who haven't gone up a single point across the board.

I had the best coaching staff in the Championship and now have the best staff in Premier League, coming first in all categories except fitness where I'm 2nd (and I have enough coaches that the work load for them is light across the board). I upgraded the facilities as quickly as I could each time and now have state-of-the-art training and youth facilities. I also give my younger players a lot of game time and I usually fill the training schedule with quite a heavy workload each week.

But then I have players like Jayden Bogle, who I believe is meant to have a fair bit of potential, who has made 79 appearances so far in this save but hasn't increased any of his technical attributes and has only gone up 1 in physical attributes. Mental attributes don't fare much better, with an increase of 4 spread across 3 skills. But given that 3 of those points are on determination and work rate, I feel like this has more to do with mentoring and disciplinary measures than actual training. I understand he's not going to be the finished product aged 23, but the lack of development makes me think he won't get anywhere reaching his potential.

I guess my question is, am I doing something wrong? Or am I expecting too much?

I had the same problem in my first season. In my second year I decided to change my individual training and have seen almost sudden improvement across the board. Beforehand (and in previous FM editions) I used to do role based individual training, for example deep lying playmaker. However on this version of the game I think it has been significantly nerfed, so I changed it to default playing position based training and instead give all my players an additional focus such as strength, finishing etc.

Either way if your players aren't improving change up their individual training to something else, also talk to them if they are underperforming in training. Anything below a 7 rating I have a word with them.

Edited by datareport

В 22.12.2021 в 07:53, SammyL сказал:

Я два с половиной сезона в «Шеффилд Юнайтед»

Hi bro

I am also a Sheffield coach. I have 2025 now.
1) Bogle ... On my team he obviously progresses, but not enough to knock Badlock
2) Badlock has become very good. Not a PM superstar, but good. Strong middle peasant.
3) Rhys Norrington-Davies play on my left in defense. He drove out all the old people (they have already left the club).
4) In the center of defense I have a deuce Egan + B. Davies (Yes, I bought it after the lease). Sub-O'conell and a couple of young Hispanics

5) The center of protection is 2.5-3 stars and I urgently need to update it

6) Old players: Berge 4.5 stars (One of the best), Brewster 3,5 stars (very progressing, but not stable. Now not the main forward), Freeman (made 19 assists in the first season in the Championship, but no longer shines in PL and is given to me on loan ), Burke (On sale, lost the competition), Norwood (Good average peasant, on loan, old), the rest left before this season - I did not renew contracts.

7) Iliman Ndiaye - Useless. I tried to integrate it into tactics for a couple of seasons - it did not work, on loan in SBL1 - no progress

Sorry for English - this is my third language :)

13 минут назад, properdisco сказал:

Get a nice "resolute" or "professional" Head of Youth Development and the standard of intake will be higher, and guys will train well and grow at a better rate

If my young players play in the main squad, is their development still controlled by the head of the youth development unit?

Edited by brunokaz

36 minutes ago, brunokaz said:

If my young players play in the main squad, is their development still controlled by the head of the youth development unit?

the Head of Youth Development is just the guy who finds players for the youth intakes. His personality will ensure players with similar personality arrive in your intake. Once you've signed them to the team, I think his work with them is basically finished and he'll focus on the next intake, but personality is so important to development it's really worth throwing what money you can on a resolute/professional/determined/model-citizen Head of Youth Development.

Edited by properdisco

A strange situation occurs non league when taking over newly promoted teams from non playable leagues. Approx 80% of the legacy squad will regress heavily, I've had players with 55 CA drop to 40 CA in 2 years, multiple examples. Only 2 out of my squad have held their ability, non have improved. Not sure if this situation is unique. 

Thankfully newgens who get first team experience can improve rapidly. So far players left in youth teams do not improve at all. 

I'm doing a youth only challenge, so it adds a layer of difficulty as you try and get young players up to speed before legacy players regress to the point of being useless, about 2 seasons.