[Accessibility] Give player an option to choose which kits teams use

arkadye

In some situations the match engine will choose kits that do not contrast well.

Examples in FM22 are Manchester City v Leicester City (where Leicester will play in their mint kit, that's technically green but contrasts very poorly with sky blue) or Peterborough vs Brighton & Hove Albion (where blue with white shorts and trip is considered not to contrast with a white top with blue stripes - so both teams play in blue-and-white.)

This will be worse for players with some sorts of colour-blindness. Given the variation in colour blindness in real life, and the somewhat subjective nature of whether kits clash, and the difficulty in programmatically detecting a kit clash I would suggest that the player has an option to override the game's decisions on kit clashes.

I am aware this is not realistic. However, the benefit to playability would - in my opinion - outweigh this. Especially for colour-blind players.

The way this would work would be that, in the match engine, the player could open the options menu and find a button to manually choose which kits teams play in from the kits available to that team. So, for example, I could spot that Leicester's mint away kit clashes with Man City's sky blue and switch to the pink-and-onyx kit instead.

• 1 month later...
  • SI Staff

Thanks for taking the time to raise this suggestion to us. We'll take a look into this idea you've put forward. There may be some further follow up questions we have over time about this kind of idea, so we will let you know if any emerge.