Request: Increased Red Card Effect on Player Rating

Sunstrikuuu

Red cards, especially first-half red cards, don't have an especially catastrophic result on player ratings.  In a game the other day, a midfielder who was sent off in like the 10th minute for a straight red finished with a 6.5, having contributed nothing of note before his sending-off.  That meant that, when I criticized his last game, he was able to tell me he'd played excellently, and had I been to the opticians lately.  I don't have a save to bug-report this because I threw my computer out the window.In another game, a player sent off, straight red, in the 34th minute of a game in which my team was comprehensively outplayed finished with a 6.3; his midfield partner had a 6.2, primarily because he had a longer time to be there on the pitch getting bossed because his team was a man down. 

Sendings-off hugely affect a team, especially when they occur early in a match.  A first half red card is pretty close to the worst thing a player can do.  And media organizations that do player ratings tend to grade players harshly for 'em - for instance, the Express gave Ainsley Maitland-Niles a 2 for two first-half yellow cards, even though one of them was harsh.  I know the FM player ratings don't work that way, and I think I can count on two hands the number of times I've seen a rating below 5 in twelve years of this game (and maybe on one finger the number of times I've seen a rating below 4).  But a player who's gotten sent off should essentially never be able to have a higher rating than anyone on the pitch, unless someone's given away penalties or own goals plural.  It should be impossible for a player who's received a first-half red card to feel anything other than shame and regret for his performance.

• 1 month later...