Can you accept a managerial post - but start it after the end of the season?

I'm in my tenth season with Manchester United and have an illustrious career with them - four Champions League titles (runner-up in three!), one Europa League, six Premier League titles, two FA Cups, six Carabao Cups, various Charity Shields, two European Super Cups, and one FIFA Club World Cup - but all of a sudden the new-ish owners, who make the Glazers look like saints, have become serious morons. They have cut the wage bill signaficantly and are offering me a new five-year contract - but with less wages! That's after my trophy-laden time at the helm. Plus I've got Old Trafford up to a 106,000 mega stadium.

Anyway, Chelsea are after a new manager and I wouldn't mind it... in the summer, as I'm currently well on my way to another league title (16pts clear), in the KO stages of the Champions League, and am in the fourth round of the FA Cup - a competiton where I've probably failed in during my nine seasons (had various cup shocks). My main aim is replicate Sir Alex's famous Treble - something I'm yet to accomplish - before I hand over the reins.

Is there a way of declaring an interesting in the job, but taking the job in the summer after negotiations (it's now January)?

I don't want the moronic new-ish owners to sack me before me completing my final season, and hopefully getting the Treble 2.0.

Edited by longdon

You can look to start a new managerial job at the end of the season, but I'm not sure exactly at what date in the season this becomes possible.

When it comes to getting sacked, I believe if you apply for a position at another club there may be a discussion with the chairperson about your future at the club. Its possible that could result in you getting sacked, but it has been a number of years since I've gone through this process.

How far into January are you? I was screwing around to see about other jobs one season and reckon from Feb onwards it's a goer. So maybe even late Jan/after transfer window closes?

You can always split your save a this point and holiday to start of Feb apply for it and see what happens.

Edit: other threads seem to indicate late Jan

Edited by CaptCanuck

12 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

How far into January are you? I was screwing around to see about other jobs one season and reckon from Feb onwards it's a goer. So maybe even late Jan/after transfer window closes?

You can always split your save a this point and holiday to start of Feb apply for it and see what happens.

Edit: other threads seem to indicate late Jan

I’ve just gone past the January deadline day transfer window.

I did declare an interest in the job. When the press asked was I interested I gave a neutral answer; I then asked the owners to up the wage bill, but still no joy. 

We’ll see what happens…

15 hours ago, santy001 said:

You can look to start a new managerial job at the end of the season, but I'm not sure exactly at what date in the season this becomes possible.

When it comes to getting sacked, I believe if you apply for a position at another club there may be a discussion with the chairperson about your future at the club. Its possible that could result in you getting sacked, but it has been a number of years since I've gone through this process.

Thanks for the advice.

I’ve been thinking: I’ve won the same amount of Champions League trophies as Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola.

Surely there should be a way of me touting my services to the crème de crème of European football, just as there is when you’re looking at player to sign with ‘Ask agent about availability’.

To be honest, I don’t want a PSG or Real Madrid; I want an interesting project, similar to when Roman Abramovich took over Chelsea or when Sheik Mansour too over Manchester City. 

Edited by longdon

1 hour ago, longdon said:

I’ve been thinking: I’ve won the same amount of Champions League trophies as Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola.

Surely there should be a way of me touting my services to the crème de crème of European football, just as there is when you’re looking at player to sign with ‘Ask agent about availability’.

To be honest, I don’t want a PSG or Real Madrid; I want an interesting project, similar to when Roman Abramovich took over Chelsea or when Sheik Mansour too over Manchester City. 

That's the rub - you seem to have to quit to be approached for a club job* without touting yourself, otherwise all you can do is declare interest in open positions and see if there is any clapback from your owners or players. Then the issue is unless it's a top 10 team, you still need to quit because most teams don't want to pay to buy you out.

When I was messing about, RB Leipzig wouldn't offer me an interview until I quit, then I applied and got the job. IRL you think they might stump up a 5mil buyout or whatever it is.

*I'm in 2038 with Brighton and have won loads and have been approached by England and Portugal over the years to be national team manager.

Edited by CaptCanuck

1 hour ago, CaptCanuck said:

That's the rub - you seem to have to quit to be approached for a club job* without touting yourself, otherwise all you can do is declare interest in open positions and see if there is any clapback from your owners or players. Then the issue is unless it's a top 10 team, you still need to quit because most teams don't want to pay to buy you out.

When I was messing about, RB Leipzig wouldn't offer me an interview until I quit, then I applied and got the job. IRL you think they might stump up a 5mil buyout or whatever it is.

*I'm in 2038 with Brighton and have won loads and have been approached by England and Portugal over the years to be national team manager.

In my ten seasons, I've never been offered a single job. Nor have any of my players been made player of the year or been nominated for a Ballon d'Or - despite being in EIGHT European finals in nine seasons (winning four Champions Leagues and one Europa League)! 

Kind of strange, no?

2 hours ago, longdon said:

In my ten seasons, I've never been offered a single job. Nor have any of my players been made player of the year or been nominated for a Ballon d'Or - despite being in EIGHT European finals in nine seasons (winning four Champions Leagues and one Europa League)! 

Kind of strange, no?

The player bias for European/Worldwide rewards is real IMHO. They do favour a couple of top Spanish/Italian sides and PSG in my experience.

Just finishing 37/38 season and I'm 11/15 for Prem League the last 15 seasons and have 4 Champions League titles and I reckon I've only had a couple cross-Europe/worldwide individual player wins. I'll check tonight.

Edited by CaptCanuck

Yes, you can but the other question would be, will Chelsea wait for you to come only at the end of the season?

I was managing Parma, got them promoted to serie A and in second season, Atalanta approached me. It was february, I think.

So, in interview, there was the question, when could I take them and I said, at the end of the season. They accepted it and I was moving to them one day after the last game in season.

50 minutes ago, thefmveteran86 said:

Has there been a manager who accepted a managerial job but waited till the end of the season to manage that said club?

Julian Nagelsmann Leipzig > Bayern
Marco Rose Gladbach > Dortmund
Adi Hütter Frankfurt > Gladbach
Oliver Glasner Wolfsburg > Frankfurt
Niko Kovac Frankfurt > Bayern

Frank Wormuth Heracles > Groningen

Edited by autohoratio

This is definitely possible, in the interview for any jobs you apply for from 1st Jan it will ask if you want to take control now or at the end of the season.

I would say the reason you don’t get offered jobs is because you’re man United, teams won’t approach you as they don’t believe you would leave due to your own and United reputations.

Only way to get a job without becoming unemployed would be to apply for the vacancy.