Player Instructions Suggestion

The slider system is essentially rubbish.

The game is not about understanding football but about understanding the slider system.

I'd like to see Capello presented with a load of random sliders and him trying to get his players to do what he wants.

Surely a scroll down list of instructions would be a better, simpler option. That way you could choose from a list and tell a winger to 'cut inside' or 'get to the byline' or 'track back' or whatever. This could be linked up with players preferred moves so that asking them to do those things would be better for them. You could also get ass man feedback when asking your winger to cut in he might say something like 'does that well' or 'struggling'. Clear cut things that allow you to get the best out of your players.

The problem I have and have had for all the FM series is that the esoteric slider system is a put off because if you are not doing well you don't know if it is because your players aren't good enough or your tactics are just useless. Until I find a tactic that I trust this game is next to unplayable.

Also I think that like in, was it Player Manager back on the Amiga?, there should be a part where you can tell each of your players to be when the ball is in a certain area. One set of positions for when you have the ball and one for when you don't. That is more of a tactic designer on a game that was over a decade old than anything the CM/FM series has EVER come up with.

The slider is a good system. There isn't a better one. Using your theory of drop downs doesn't work simply because the engine would not interpreate the instructions as codes. The slide system is designed to say how much mentality do you want them to have, how much closing down, how much forward runs etc etc

Archived