Promoted to premier league with Fulham - am I doomed?

I got promoted playing 433 attacking football, with a team of players high on technique and passing.

Is it actually possible to continue this style in the premier league, or do I have to rip up everything and make a brand new formation?

If I have to play more conservatively, should I sell a fair number of my attacking technical players because I wont have much use for them anymore?

What types of players do I need to survive? Should I change to a more physical and defensive type of system?

From my experience on FM21, you may be OK.

I went up with Blackburn and was very much fancied to go down, so planned to at least go down swinging.

During the first half of the season though, teams were expecting to beat me easily (and some did) but most left themselves too open so by Christmas I was in the European spaces. Second half was tougher as teams look at you differently, so eventually ended up sliding to 9th, but form in the first half of the year saw me through.

Just try and be shrewd in the transfer market, don’t over spend, and try and just add a little quality depth. Use loans if you need and see how you go.

Good luck!

8 hours ago, gunner86 said:

From my experience on FM21, you may be OK.

I went up with Blackburn and was very much fancied to go down, so planned to at least go down swinging.

During the first half of the season though, teams were expecting to beat me easily (and some did) but most left themselves too open so by Christmas I was in the European spaces. Second half was tougher as teams look at you differently, so eventually ended up sliding to 9th, but form in the first half of the year saw me through.

Just try and be shrewd in the transfer market, don’t over spend, and try and just add a little quality depth. Use loans if you need and see how you go.

Good luck!

So you say its possible to continue playing attacking football?

How about against the big clubs? Should backup formations be similar to my primary attacking tactic, butt with lower settings?

Or do I need a complete change, eg a 4141 counter system?

22 hours ago, 2feet said:

I got promoted playing 433 attacking football, with a team of players high on technique and passing.

Is it actually possible to continue this style in the premier league, or do I have to rip up everything and make a brand new formation?

If I have to play more conservatively, should I sell a fair number of my attacking technical players because I wont have much use for them anymore?

What types of players do I need to survive? Should I change to a more physical and defensive type of system?

Just change to a slightly more conservative style. I find that cautious football works amazingly well in FM22. When you have the ball your players will show attacking intent but still be mindful of the counter possibility. If things get a bit hairy switch a player in the middle of the park to defensive and he'll be even more cautious.

I have also found condensing the pitch to be effective.

As said, make shrewd signings but also be ready to take setbacks and test the waters the first few games to see what happens.

I just got promoted from L1 to the CH with Wycombe. I have the lowest wage budget in the division but am doing surprisingly well with a cautious approach and a passing style of play.

You might have to accept defeats against the big sides and look to beat those around you with attacking threat. First season is all about staying up.

17 hours ago, 2feet said:

So you say its possible to continue playing attacking football?

How about against the big clubs? Should backup formations be similar to my primary attacking tactic, butt with lower settings?

Or do I need a complete change, eg a 4141 counter system?

In my experience, having a completely different formation doesn’t end well.

For me, I used two 4-3-3s. One attacking, one for countering with some tweaked instructions and roles.

I've got the sneaking suspicion, that the combination of high spirits due to being promoted and other teams not taking you all too seriously is a little too strong, and intentionally so. gong from the 15th worst paid team in the 2nd Bundesliga to finishing 7th in the Bundesliga in the first year seems to be a stretch. I was getting absolutely murdered by Dortmund and Bayern, and about 5-6 games were also dominated by the other team. But the rest of the games i was hanging quite comfortably with the youngest team and by far poorest team in the league. I've got the feeling, if you don't use your first season to improve the teams, then you will have a very hard time, but the first season is hard to fail.

On 02/05/2022 at 00:06, Broetchenholer said:

I've got the sneaking suspicion, that the combination of high spirits due to being promoted and other teams not taking you all too seriously is a little too strong, and intentionally so. gong from the 15th worst paid team in the 2nd Bundesliga to finishing 7th in the Bundesliga in the first year seems to be a stretch. I was getting absolutely murdered by Dortmund and Bayern, and about 5-6 games were also dominated by the other team. But the rest of the games i was hanging quite comfortably with the youngest team and by far poorest team in the league. I've got the feeling, if you don't use your first season to improve the teams, then you will have a very hard time, but the first season is hard to fail.

If it really is so, then it's... rather realistic? In real life promoted teams (I'd say roughly one out of three) often not only survive in their first season, but end up in a solid mid-table position. However, then the second and third season gets tricky.

From Premier league this season's Brentford is a fine example of that and Sheffield United from few years back comes to mind (finished 9th in their first season and rock bottom in next year).