Commentary too long between the highlights

Would it be possible to cut down on commentary about a player getting away with warning or getting yellow card  between the highlights? I find it unnecessary to read so many lines of texts just to find out that one player got away with warning. There is no suspense in that and we know that nobody's gonna score on that play . Sometimes it takes a whole minute! Is there some background processing happening that we have to wait and read all those lines or is it for those who prefer Commentary only option ? Why not keep it fast and simple with ONE line saying player x got yellow card for this and that instead of that whole build up ?

Also I think just before the halftime and end of the game there is too much commentary about nothing before we find out how much more of added time we'll have.

Edited by Invisible Witness

• Invisible Witness changed the title to Commentary too long between the highlights
  • SI Staff

There is a balance in how the 'dead time' processes in the match - if we made it jump straight from 'chance to chance' instantly then you'd get no feel for how the match is going and when to make subs or tactical changes, hence the commentary is intended to give an impression of whether a team is dominating the game etc.

(but I'll have a think about things and consider rebalancing - if anyone else has a view on this please let me know)

4 minutes ago, Marc Vaughan said:

There is a balance in how the 'dead time' processes in the match - if we made it jump straight from 'chance to chance' instantly then you'd get no feel for how the match is going and when to make subs or tactical changes, hence the commentary is intended to give an impression of whether a team is dominating the game etc.

(but I'll have a think about things and consider rebalancing - if anyone else has a view on this please let me know)

I see your point and I'd suggest to keep that for those who watch on Extended highlights but for those who prefer Key highlights I don't think it's needed and it just slows things down. I'd prefer it to go from highlight to highlight without reading unnecessary texts. Also we have this beautiful option  to adjust speed between highlights (dead time) which is enough to slow things down if anyone wishes to. But yeah, let's see what others think.

6 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

if anyone else has a view on this please let me know

Yeah I'd agree with the OP - it is a noticeable slow down when a card is given compared to everything else. 

eg: 

• Player X takes the corner.
  • Player Y scores!

vs (a bit tongue in cheek):

• Player X brings Player Z down.
  • The ref is calling him over.
  • He could be in trouble here.
  • He already has a booking.
  • The ref fumbles around in his pocket
  • He produces a yellow card
  • That's his second, he's off!
  • He trudges from the field
  • Hey, you finished getting your coffee?

Obviously, I had a bit of fun with that, it's not that many steps, maybe about 4 from memory, but it feels like that sometime. 

A simple "Player X gets a yellow card", "That's his second, he's off" would be enough. Two messages if indeed it is a second yellow, but only one if it's the first.

Maybe it also feels slow because of the animation of the player coming across to the referee etc. Not quite sure how to deal with that, but it's really not necessary to watch everyone stop and the player slowly walk over. Much respect for making it reflect reality pretty closely (I know someone put a lot of work into that), but this is one of those occasions we don't need the full reality. 

Anyway, it'd be great if it could be sped up a little to keep things flowing. My 2p anyway!

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, StephenCronin said:

Maybe it also feels slow because of the animation of the player coming across to the referee etc. Not quite sure how to deal with that, but it's really not necessary to watch everyone stop and the player slowly walk over. Much respect for making it reflect reality pretty closely (I know someone put a lot of work into that), but this is one of those occasions we don't need the full reality. 

You just wait until ball boys are represented (each with a unique name and characteristics of course ;) ) :D

(more seriously - thanks for the feedback, very useful)

On this note, is there any reason why don't have a 'Goals Only' highlights option.

While I may not necessarily use it, I imagine many will. 

There's no good reason why a bore draw (to use the in-game lingo) should take 5 or 6 minutes to play through, unless the time is needed for processing, etc. 

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, passenger58 said:

On this note, is there any reason why don't have a 'Goals Only' highlights option.

While I may not necessarily use it, I imagine many will. 

There's no good reason why a bore draw (to use the in-game lingo) should take 5 or 6 minutes to play through, unless the time is needed for processing, etc. 

Hmmm because there should be time for the user to make changes and ensure its not a 0-0?
(more seriously - does it really take 5-6 minutes for a match to play through on your device with the dead time set to the highest setting, my iPad normally plays out a match in around 2-3 minutes if I use commentary only and replays or 4-5 tops if watching 2d/key ... and that is with chances shown etc. ... what speed settings do you have - perhaps my sped up 2d is faster than your setting?)

On 25/05/2022 at 12:51, Marc Vaughan said:

You just wait until ball boys are represented (each with a unique name and characteristics of course ;) ) :D

(more seriously - thanks for the feedback, very useful)

Along with this you'd definitely need to reenact the hazard pushes the ball boy over incident :D

On 27/05/2022 at 00:41, StephenCronin said:

I'm hoping the ball boys have 'traits' like "Delays returning the ball to the opposition", etc. :D

Haha yes. We could also have throws the ball the wrong way and best of all, pretends to handshake captain then thumbs their nose. (Edit: like this 

)

Edited by ElliottMS

hace 4 horas, ElliottMS dijo:

Haha yes. We could also have throws the ball the wrong way and best of all, pretends to handshake captain then thumbs their nose. (Edit: like this 

)

well, not as a ball boy, but that little guy is in the game now!

2123798021_Screenshot_20220528-133845_FM22Mobile.thumb.jpg.975ec2093d12fd441b6747018a74fa6b.jpg

sure he deserves 14 creativity for that joke 😅

Edited by MatiasDFS