playing time promises for renewed contracts

I am getting really tired of my players being super happy with their situation in the club, then requesting new contracts and then demanding playing times that cannot be fiulfilled. Like, i get that some people are unhappy with their playing time and want it to be set in their new contract, or basically want to get more recoginition for their club, especially if they feel like there are better options out there. But those are just annoying:

image.thumb.png.a1cb6c462d965a7552d35c7bf2349dbd.png

image.thumb.png.0ba1585042722ed194cbac1efc464b51.png

I like him, he is developing well, i want to keep him. His agent demands regular starter and has walked away from talks when i suggested squad player. These are the players he would have to compete with for playing time:

image.thumb.png.1268cbfea6014b95c0d4af7875aeca40.png

image.thumb.png.b5381f243a59a3023c0b68ca5ce2d26d.png

In what world does he believe to get regular starter playing time here? If he wants more money, i would be willing to give that. IOn my opinion, the game is terrible at communicating what the plyaer actually wants and the playign time promises are too unflexible and encompass money. They should split that into having playing time and payment/standing and have the player tell you where he sees him self. If he perceives himself as deserving regular starter playing time and important player payment, i could make that promise or not. If iam not willing to give him the playing time, i could instead offer him more wage to offset this. Currently a player says "giev star player", i say no, because i don't know if he actually wants to play every match, and everyone is sad.

A current danish international player aged 21 wants to be a regular starter in his club? Sounds logical to me. It doesn't really matter how good the other players are. The times where you could hoard dozens of wonderkids in your youth team/bench and they remain happy without provide them a clear path what your plans are with them is over in FM22.

Actually, quite often player demands (asks) for more playing time when new contract negotiations start, but they're perfectly happy and willing to accept an offer of smaller value. You don't have to accept everything that they start their negotiations with - just make a counter offer. Sometimes it works, sometime they want to haggle and are not willing to sign unless the promise is fulfilled, but it's wrong never to negotiate. 

Look, i get that a player wants to be a regular player in the club. I am saying, the game needs to tell me what is really important for that player. Does he want to be payed well, or play more. If he believes he should play more, come to me and tell me you want to play more. If you want a new contract, ask for a new contract. The problem with the demand new contract dialogue is, that you never know in before what you are gonna get, you have a happy player, he comes to you and says he should have a new contract. What does that mean? Does he want more time, more money, you don't know.

Currently his agreed playing time is breakthrough prospect, but his actual playing time is inline with a regular starter.

Why would he then accept a contract with less playing time than he is currently getting?

It's at the start of the season, he played no games. In the last season, he played less then squad player. I totally agree, that he should feel like getting near first time playing time. He however would not agree to anything but regular starter when he is literally the worst player in my current midfield. I guess that's the way of the game to tell me this guy wants to be regular starter somewhere, but it is stupid that this is the way they choose to do it. Why is there not a conversation with the player that he wants more playing time? Then i could say no, but i understand that you deserve it, so i will have to sell you. With the current system, i am giving a promise that i will give him a new contract with no idea whether i can fullfill this promise, because i do not know what he wants. So if he is unreasonable, i have an unhappy player that feels unfairly treated without me having a chance of avoiding it if i do not save scum.

I kinda agree with you on this one. Not sure I really like the whole sign a 4-5 year contract play one year and then request a new one and start the cycle all over. And the whole agent coming runnig and demanding new contracts because a player has been in kinda ok form and happened to play one pretty good game seems kinda ridiculous. More ways of communicating instead of having to negotiate a new contract that usually is very little negotiation and more of a give me exactly what I want or I'll throw a fit that ruins the team spirit completly. I think a lot of the flaws I still find with the game is down to communicating and the lack of relevant alternatives to use and I don't think it is all that realistic (I know it is a game, but it still claims to strive for realism) that you should have to negotiate new contracts with your players sometimes twice a year to have a chance to preserve the team morale. Not everything should be determined by having to write up a new contract that can cost a fortune in other fees except the wages, especially not a thing like I want to play a few more games per year. I agree you shouldn't be able to hoard young star prospects and expect them to be happy to sit around and not getting games, but the problem is not just the star prospects that actually have the ability to compete for a spot here and now. I have found that a lot of mediocre prospects, even those brought up by the clubs youth system, that will probably not go further than squad or fringe players if they realise their potential will go bonkers if you don't let them leave for a pretty much identical setup somewhere else. Perfectly happy players, some team with the same reputatiion and same quality facilities and coaching and so on make a bid and the player gets terribly upset that you don't sell them to sit in the other teams reserves instead. And if it weren't players that have the club as their favourite team and got staff from the club as favoured personnel I might find it a bit more realistic that they would throw a fit as in I will never ever even consider discussing a new contract with you people because you wouldn't let me move to an identical setup whit the same if not slightly worse prospects of developing. 

And while I'm at it if I offer a player that has used 1 or 2 years on his 5 year contract a new contract that will more than double his pay and put him up with the other top earners at the club and the agent/player shut down negotiations as unacceptable I don't really think he should be pissed because he thinks a promise has been broken and run off and cry to his team mates causing a stir and **** half the team off. And if he got that chance I should get the chance to tell the others that come crying about that players contract that I made an offer that would had more than doubled his salary and put him at the top of the payroll, but he and his agent decided to shut it down completly without any negotiation because they wanted a few thousand more.

13 hours ago, mimland said:

And the whole agent coming runnig and demanding new contracts because a player has been in kinda ok form and happened to play one pretty good game seems kinda ridiculous. More ways of communicating instead of having to negotiate a new contract that usually is very little negotiation and more of a give me exactly what I want or I'll throw a fit that ruins the team spirit completly.

This :D

That's ridiculous how often it happens that rather inconsistent player manages to have one great game (often an unimportant one, against smaller team in a cup or league) and suddenly believe that they should be treated as superstar instead of a fringe player that he actually is.