DoF not working

I hired an DoF after not having one for a couple of seasons, mainly for attracting young players for my u18 team. Scouting 15-17 years old cost me a lot of time real life. It's one of my favourite things of the game, but it has its limits for me. On the other hand, my u18 team has more fillers then i'd like it to have so i decided in favour of a DoF. I set responsibilities of making initial transfers for potentials to him only, as I still want to keep a tight ship and don't want the AI to splash cash on useless deals. 

Problem is, is he has done nothing in a season's time. Not even looked somehwere, so it's basically half a players worth of salary down the drain. What am I missing here. Should I change some responsibilities or is there another option i need to check. 

He has judg. player A/P both 17 and a negotiating stat of 18, with also having excellent mental stats. 

My experience with getting DoF (or HoYD for that matter) signing players for your youth teams, is they will only sign players where there is obvious gaps in the squad. 
For example, I had very few defenders in my U18s so mine went out and signed 4 (annoyingly all from the US eating up my allowance of foreign players under the age of 21). 
So if you have a squad full of low talent filler players it might be worth moving some on to make space.