[Discussion] I'm looking for scorers - what is 'Goalkeeper rating' in attributes?

What is this 'Goalkeeper rating', which is included in attributes? I haven't found any explanation...

I haven't found good scorers. Once my team had xG about 4, 33 shots, 10 on target, 1 goal. Help me with attributes or whatever to find capable scorers.

I do know the basics about attributes, but is there some 'needed' combinations which makes a player a scorer?

Should I try to find some traits?

Scout's opinion "Ability to strike a ball sweetly makes him a good finisher." Is that enough?

There are View Columns named 'Goals per 90mins' and 'Shots on Target Ratio'. Are there such Columns, that could help finding useful (player's scoring) data from previous seasons?

99.999999% of the time you can ignore goalkeeper rating. That’s how good an outfield player is in goal. It only ever comes into affect when you’re goalie is sent off or injured and you have no sub keeper on the bench or you have no substitutions left.

In terms of attributes for goal scorers, you want to be looking at finishing, technique, and composure primarily. But even then if a player is two footed they can be lower for an individual and still actually be a better finisher than a one footed player.

Beyond that though, if you’re having problems scoring goals, the issues you’re facing are probably more likely to be tactical. Have a look at the types of chances you’re creating, where are the attackers, where are the defenders, how far out from goal are they? If you can get your team to create good chances regularly, even a relatively poor finisher can score a good number of goals.

All that is to say, have a look or ask a question in the tactics forum. Post a screenshot of your tactic and you’ll be able to get some advice/help.

Thanks, gunner86, for answering.

With that 'GK Rating' I had two possible answers in my own mind. Either this 'outfield player as GK', or some kind of 'how unpredictable player is in front of a GK when trying to score'. So, a bit like flair. That would help finding scorers. There's no info text there.

In that game, still remembering, team even had a few one-on-ones, and all they did was shooting over the bar. Just made me wonder.

I look for Composure, Balance and Finishing in a pure scorer, in that order. Technique will help, as well as other Mental Attributes (Anticipation, Decisions, Off The Ball) that'll help him be in the correct in the first place.

I'm not saying that low finishing isn't the problem in some games, but if your accuracy is 33/10 then the first problem is getting shots on target, because that's fairly low. I'd say that on average you should get between 40-60% shots on target, so in your case that's 10 attempts pretty much wasted. 

33 attempts shows that you had momentum and were more attacking team in this game, but 10 attempts on target is not that impressive. Can't score if you won't get shots on target (both in FM and in real life football).

Secondly, xG over 4.00 is really good, but it depends on what sort of chances you actually get. You have to keep in mind that every shot has some sort of success probability, so it's never really good to allow your opponent to take an attempt, because they can score even with one unlikely header or ambitious long shot, but xG itself is just a sum of all those attempts. Having xG over 4.00 with 33 shots is a lot less impressive than having xG over 4.00 with 10-15 shots. 

If you just keep taking shots from all different positions (ticking 'shoot on sight', for example) would mean that 30 shots convert to more than 2.00 xG, but they're all still very low probability chances, whereas a defensive team could get 1.50-2.00 xG with just 5-6 well built attacks.

One more thing - player mental situation could be a key factor in finishing those chances. In my experience with past few FMs that I've played (FM16, FM20, FM22) I almost always try to take off a player who is nervous or anxious or complacent if I can't get his head straight with shouts.

It's not entirely impossible for a player to score if he's nervous (I've seen that happen), but it is very very unlikely and he usually needs much better chance for scoring than a composed or motivated player. Most likely you see him waste any half-chance that will come his way and it's better not to allow him to take a penalty or free kick either. Being nervous in a game could ruin even a world class striker's finishing ability.

Thanks for answering.

First, little background. I had just started in an English 8. level amateur team that's doomed into relegation. Players were not good enough, only one could stay.

A lot of try-outs, board wanted under 23 years olds, so many young players. Lucky me, I could even get one player, that had played in Premier League, to sign. Also that game I wrote about, was a cup game against one level lower team. That could explain that high xG.

Can young age explain weaker performance than player's actual level is in FM?

As I wrote, this team is only recently put together. This affects tactical playing as a team, but can it affect also scoring - like in one-on-ones?

Would you think those 'Finishing traits' as any kind of a proof of experience and skill?

What about Scout's opinion "Ability to strike a ball sweetly makes him a good finisher."? Believable?

7 hours ago, Draakon said:

...player mental situation could be a key factor in finishing those chances...

This is a good point. I have done this mistake.

As far as I know, the scout's opinion "ability to strike a ball sweetly" is based on attributes (technique and finishing).

Young age doesn't make much difference. It feels that it should and at times it seems that it does matter, but I think it's just because mental attributes develop with age and composure could be as important (or even more important) in using one-on-one chances than finishing itself.  So, usually, more experienced players have better composure and that's it.

Few more things to check when watching highlights:

1) player footedness - he can have a good scoring chance, but if the ball is on his wrong (weaker) foot, the attempt is less likely to go in - realistic and logical

2) same with headers - free headers can count as a good chance, but if the actual heading attribute is low, then there's a good chance that he heads it wide or over the crossbar despite his finishing and composure.

If a player has a negative mood like 'complacent' or 'anxious', can manager still get him changed to another in the playing squad, or is that squad then already 'locked'?

What are best advices or shouts to a player, if he gets moody during a game:

- nervous

- anxious

- complacent

- ill-disciplined

- another bad ones?

To calm down or to fire up? Or are those always case by case?