COUNTDOWN! 0 days to the World Cup

Rob1981

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

I like the idea of defending champions on opening day but it should be the host nation as well I reckon. 

Why was the Qatar game moved to a day before? Seems a bit weird.

Because they wanted to be the first game but late enough so they could have a fancy fireworks display.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

I like the idea of defending champions on opening day but it should be the host nation as well I reckon. 

Why was the Qatar game moved to a day before? Seems a bit weird.

They wanted an evening kickoff so they could have fireworks with the opening ceremony.  Not even joking.  Originally the Qatar game was going to be 7pm local time on Monday (4pm UK), then they realised that meant the opening ceremony would come only after Senegal v Netherlands and England v Iran had already been played.

So they pulled Qatar forward by a day, and moved Senegal v Netherlands from Monday morning and put it in the vacated Monday 4pm UK.

• SI Staff

A Dutch newspaperarticle states:

Bahrain journalist and reseracher Amjad Taha claims that Ecuadorian players have been approached and bribed to lose 1-0 to Qatar. 8 Ecuadorian players have been offer 7.4 million US Dollar, to lose by a 1-0 margin through a second half goal.
Five Qatar and Ecuadorian are to have confirmend this.

9 hours ago, Jeroen Thijssen said:

A Dutch newspaperarticle states:

Bahrain journalist and reseracher Amjad Taha claims that Ecuadorian players have been approached and bribed to lose 1-0 to Qatar. 8 Ecuadorian players have been offer 7.4 million US Dollar, to lose by a 1-0 margin through a second half goal.
Five Qatar and Ecuadorian are to have confirmend this.

I think it's bull**** as I can't find any Daily Mail article about this story and other Middle Eastern experts say Taha is a propaganda source (no idea if this is true). We'll know if its true by Sunday night. Surely if it is, they'll just arrange a 2-1 win instead at the last minute instead or something like that?

• Rob1981 changed the title to COUNTDOWN! 2 days to the World Cup.
  • Rob1981 changed the title to COUNTDOWN! 0 days to the World Cup
Spoiler

Gotta love the Japanese fans. Not even there for a Japan match and they’re doing their thing.

If you’ve ever been to Japan the cleanliness of the place is absolutely mental. You can walk around massive cities a never see a scrap of trash. I’ve even seen random Japanese people pick up odd bits of dirty tissue they’ve found on the floor and walk it to the nearest bin.

Just now, thomyorkessoul said:

It's definitely near the top of my places to visit. If they played cricket, it would be #1.

It’s an incredible place. One of my most wanted destinations and when I eventually got there it didn’t disappoint. Kyoto easily in my top 5 cities in the world.

2 hours ago, Weezer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Gotta love the Japanese fans. Not even there for a Japan match and they’re doing their thing.

If you’ve ever been to Japan the cleanliness of the place is absolutely mental. You can walk around massive cities a never see a scrap of trash. I’ve even seen random Japanese people pick up odd bits of dirty tissue they’ve found on the floor and walk it to the nearest bin.

They do this in stadiums after games too, like in the 2014 WC, which surprised people here: