I don't understand why this player left my club

Hello,

I'm currently in 2029 with my local club (Gonçalense FC). We came all the way from Rio de Janeiro's Second Division to Brazilian Second Division. In my first intake, this defensive midfielder called Matheuzinho came through the ranks. He wasn't special technically, but his mental attributes were excepcionally good for this level. He was really important and played a crucial part in our promotions to Rio's 1st Division, Brazilian Serie D and Brazilian Serie C. He also became team captain, despite being so young. So imagine how important he was in the squad.

However, when we were in Serie C, some Serie B sides started making offers - I rejected all of them, since I didn't wanted to sell him at all. He eventually became unsettled, because he wanted to play in a better division, and after some discussions I told him that we were going to develop younger players to form the team core. My team is full of youngsters and I tried to give opportunity to other ones who hadn't enough playing time, but we also were in a bid to be promoted to Serie B, so I couldn't waste that. In the end, he said I broke my promise and wanted to leave.

He was set to leave for free to Brasil de Pelotas, who also were in Serie C, something that left me confused. I've blocked the transfer, hoping that a promotion would make him reconsider - and we actually got promoted after finishing 2nd and losing in the final to... Brasil de Pelotas. But this wasn't enough, and he left for free in the end of the season.

But the worst part is: now he's getting offers only from Serie C and even Serie D clubs! He left because he wanted to play in a better division, but now he's going to play in a lower divison than us! And let's recap:

• He supports the club.
  • My relationship with him is Very Close and I'm his only favoured personnel.
  • He was at the club for 7 years, becoming a team leader and captain.
  • He had a "Star Player" status, despite being only 3* of CA. We had players way better than him.

So why has he decided to leave? I usually don't complain about the game, but this doesn't make sense at all.

image.png.ba5a5d03f847aa8de6665170bfe52ef6.png

Well, regarding the teams that want him, he may not be good enough for the second division. He might want to play there but that doesn't mean that the teams will want him. I want to play for Barcelona but am I good enough to do so? Regarding your promise, it is unclear from your thread whether you gave youngsters opportunities or not, in a similar situation for me I had youngsters as regular starters and my player was happy I kept the promise. Regarding the fact that he supports the club, sentiment and career are two different things, he just wanted something better professionally. Is he worth it though?

3 horas atrás, Poison disse:

Well, regarding the teams that want him, he may not be good enough for the second division. He might want to play there but that doesn't mean that the teams will want him. I want to play for Barcelona but am I good enough to do so? Regarding your promise, it is unclear from your thread whether you gave youngsters opportunities or not, in a similar situation for me I had youngsters as regular starters and my player was happy I kept the promise. Regarding the fact that he supports the club, sentiment and career are two different things, he just wanted something better professionally. Is he worth it though?

He's one of those players that aren't very good in attributes, but perform so well on the pitch. For me, he was good enough for Serie B, although I understand why AI doesn't value him that way. And I think he's totally worth it, my favourite player in the save so far. Averaging 7.00 in Serie C, he was our foundation and also provided some assists.

I have managed to find a savefile of November 2028 (before he left). My best eleven had SEVEN under-23 players (including him), two of them on loan. And I've used at least 10 other under-23 players. Ok, he didn't liked that, he felt I broke the promise. But his main concern was: I want to play in a better division, and we did that, surely he couldn't reconsider? And I forgot to mention, he wasn't even unhappy. It was just a "minor issue". Look how many positive things he saw, his morale wasn't even bad.

PS: he was a star player, but at some point I tried desperately to make some money selling him and set his status as surplus to requirements. When I saw that I couldn't do anything, he went back to the team and got the Regular Starter status.

image.png.5acf54cc7c365d4652af7d81e86424a9.png

2 horas atrás, Baodan disse:

Never make a promise unless you're gonna keep it or got the player on a very long contract.

Obviously I made a big mistake not renewing his contract before, but anyway, I thought I could keep him even with the broken promise. After all, we did what he wanted and he loved the club and to be in the squad.

33 minutos atrás, kentonizking disse:

You have suffered from the overpowered destruction of the broken promise my friend, one that defies all of the logical reasoning you outlined.

@neilbrock this should be used as a case study for improving these systems, if they haven't yet been in 23.

Yeah I've heard about that, but I'm shocked that I couldn't keep him. Had a lot of youngsters wanting to go to bigger clubs and there was nothing that I could do, I sold them. But this case just doesn't make sense to me.

I even thought that was because of the Brazilian calendar, the reset date is January 2nd (after the end of his contract). But when I try to sign a player, they say they are interested (or not) to play in Serie B, so it should be the case here as well.

I've been burned a couple of times on the broken promise issue. I tend not to make promises to players unless a) it's a demand when negotiating a contract, b) I know I can keep it, and c) it doesn't involve something that can't be objectively measured or that I don't think is necessary. And if it means passing on signing a player, then I pass.