Retain as DOF

When taking over a team at the start of a save, this is sometimes an option, but it feels quite inconsistent. Few examples from Conference North/South;

Southport - Current manager is Liam Watson, has had multiple spells at the club, has won a promotion with them previously, down as favoured personnel - cannot be retained

Welling - Current manager is former England caretaker Peter Taylor, decades of experience at much higher level clubs, reputation wise easily the best manager at this level, and almost 70 - cannot be retained

St Albans - Current manager is Iain Allinson, decent manager at this level but has had an average spell at St Albans. Already have a very capable DOF in place in Dean Austin - Option to retain Allinson as DOF which in turn replaces Austin.

Feels to me that these three examples should all have the opposite outcomes. Anyone got any idea what triggers this?

3 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Doesn't it infer that experienced managers are not prepared to work under an unknown newbie? In FM terms, the underling would have a far higher reputation than the manager.

DOF is above the manager in a club hierarchy irl though. This isn't really represented well in game. One of the first things I do at a new club for realism is switch hire/fire of DOF to the chairman or MD in responsibilities. Should be one of those things that you can only control yourself after a long period of time at the club, like picking an affiliate.

Liam Watson is also on the board at Southport. They would 100% retain him in some capacity.

11 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

DOF is above the manager in a club hierarchy irl though. This isn't really represented well in game. One of the first things I do at a new club for realism is switch hire/fire of DOF to the chairman or MD in responsibilities. Should be one of those things that you can only control yourself after a long period of time at the club, like picking an affiliate.

Liam Watson is also on the board at Southport. They would 100% retain him in some capacity.

Fair enough. I'd use the ingame editor to reinstate them, on max (5 year) contracts.

7 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Fair enough. I'd use the ingame editor to reinstate them, on max (5 year) contracts.

That's a decent idea - didn't think of that. Thanks!

I've put a suggestion in the feature requests area, hopefully it's something they will consider in the future.