Asymmetrical formations

On 28/10/2022 at 21:02, thefmveteran86 said:

Does everyone use these types or "out of the ordinary" formations?

Asymmetrical formations can be useful as they throw the opposition out of shape as the AI oppositions never use asymmetrical formations. The ordinary formations are built to deal with ordinary formations.

Occasionally the asymmetrical formations can replicate the ordinary formations due to the roles and duties while in possession.

I myself use asymmetrical formations, as mentioned above, when it optimises my best players.

I always consider formation to reflect defensive shape and roles to dictate attacking shape (simplification but in general terms…). Generally speaking I want consistency in my defensive shape (eg structure), and then unpredictability in my attacking shape through roles who break the lines. 

So for me, personally, I’ve never had asymmetrical formations as something I want to get too deep in to, maybe just the odd niche situation.

I'm always using an asymmetrical tactic because when I started playing, I figured there's a reason for all those potential spots to put 10 outfield players. Still not happy that they took away the Libero spot behind the center backs and ahead of the keeper. One of my most successful tactics back in 2012 was a big "S" with 2 strikers, an AML, 3 center mids, a right wingback on attack, and 2 cbs and a lfb. It kind of broke the match engine, but never worked any edition after that.