*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, jc577 said:

Haven’t been on here much so apologies if this is a known issue, but has anyone been noticing an insane amount of blocks? Specifically, blocked shots from silly angles that weirdly loop up for the GK to catch? Doing my head in!

Yep, that and many more.

On 09/02/2023 at 23:31, Sunstrikuuu said:

A thing that's weird is that I often see players whose body language is "Would have preferred to stay on the bench", even when they're coming on in close games or with significant amounts of time remaining.  But I've never seen a player come on really motivated to make an impression, even when they're a squad player who could, with a good performance, jump up the hierarchy into the first eleven.

Yep even in pre season friendlies, it's bizarre. 

42 minutes ago, jc1 said:

Far too many goals from corners, and far too many penalties. 

Wingbacks who cut back onto their weaker foot instead of heading to the bye line and crossing. 

Work ball into box, no thanks I'll shoot from 25yds out at every opportunity.

Wingback has the ball just over the halfway line, simple pass inside to a midfielder,  oh no let's pass the ball 50 yds back to the keeper instead. 

Thus ME is just naff and making the game terrible to play and watch.

I see all of this when I play a high block, high pressing, high intensity tactic.

I see it a lot less with other ideas …

Noticed this a couple of times, I've got my team on 'stay on feet' to try and cut down on cards and free kicks conceded, but my Ass Man says "We're simply giving away too many fouls and could benefit from a little more caution" and it suggests removing the stay on feet instruction.  That doesn't make sense to me?

I know attributes are very important in the game but I which the effect was more pronounced. It shouldn't be enough to just build a team of just fast players to dominate. My slow centerback with very good positioning, anticipation, concentration and decision shouldn't get beat 90% of the time just because they lack acceleration. There elite footballs that have no pace and do very well against players that are way faster than them for example players like Tiago Silver, Chiellini, Bonucci etc these are elite defenders that you don't see get beat often even by elite strikers that are very fast because they read the game very well 

4 hours ago, angelo994 said:

image.jpeg.272c3925f8cfeeeeaf31e9769b708124.jpeg

Thought I'd share this absolutely absurd stat. 779 headers won in a single season by one of my central defenders.

Just from doing a dig on some real life examples. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/22/more-than-20-headers-per-game-can-lead-to-failed-concussion-test-study-finds

I'm not sure how many games your season is. But over a 40 game season that would only be around 16/17 headers a game to get to the number in your screenshot.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/aerial_won We then also have this which is ''aerial battles'' and therefore a lower number due to an unchallenged header not counting as an aerial batter. The FM stat is headers won.

Really struggling to find somewhere that has stats of each players headers per game and an average however, so if anyone has one please let me know!

5 ore fa, Domoboy23 ha scritto:

Just from doing a dig on some real life examples. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/22/more-than-20-headers-per-game-can-lead-to-failed-concussion-test-study-finds

I'm not sure how many games your season is. But over a 40 game season that would only be around 16/17 headers a game to get to the number in your screenshot.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/aerial_won We then also have this which is ''aerial battles'' and therefore a lower number due to an unchallenged header not counting as an aerial batter. The FM stat is headers won.

Really struggling to find somewhere that has stats of each players headers per game and an average however, so if anyone has one please let me know!

image.jpeg.d997e79c27ef50ed4f1c165f90ce55f2.jpeg

here is data for current EPL season according to one of the most used scouting tools. There were 458 players who headed the ball in EPL apparently with 2.5 headers per match on average. The highest being Onuachu with 16 challenges per match on av (almost 8x the average).

Data, of course isn't ccomparable to FM as there's no way to determine who uses what to get the numbers. 

18 hours ago, MBarbaric said:

There were 458 players who headed the ball in EPL apparently with 2.5 headers per match on average.

That's a very low number, I would just check fbref.com that tracks aerial duels, you can get per 90 as well. https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/misc/Premier-League-Stats

The in real life numbers actually ranges from 11 to 17 per 90. So 2.5 headers per game would be considered very low. You can also track individual players aerial duels stats there as well.

42 minuti fa, Rashidi ha scritto:

That's a very low number, I would just check fbref.com that tracks aerial duels, you can get per 90 as well. https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/misc/Premier-League-Stats

The in real life numbers actually ranges from 11 to 17 per 90. So 2.5 headers per game would be considered very low. You can also track individual players aerial duels stats there as well.

I am pretty sure you forgot to switch from total numbers to 90 mins.

Edited by MBarbaric

@Rashidi 

correct me if I am wrong, but those stats literally say a team has roughly 2.45 headers per player in 90 mins.

i.e. if you take Fulham which are middle of the table, they have 14 won and 13 lost per 90 mins... That's 27 per match. divided by 11 players = 2.45

Edited by MBarbaric

13 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

@Rashidi 

correct me if I am wrong, but those stats literally say a team has roughly 2.45 headers per player in 90 mins.

i.e. if you take Fulham which are middle of the table, they have 14 won and 13 lost per 90 mins... That's 27 per match. divided by 11 players = 2.45

Therein lies the problem with averaging stats. Here are the per 90 stats and the total stats. Onachu is closer to 11 per 90 than 3.  Its easy to check, fbref is usually a good place to get decent numbers for per 90 stats. Its where I go to get numbers for data modelling.

Per90s.jpg

Total Heads.jpg

3 minuti fa, Rashidi ha scritto:

Therein lies the problem with averaging stats. Here are the per 90 stats and the total stats. Onachu is closer to 11 per 90 than 3.  Its easy to check, fbref is usually a good place to get decent numbers for per 90 stats. Its where I go to get numbers for data modelling.

2 ore fa, Rashidi ha scritto:

The in real life numbers actually ranges from 11 to 17 per 90. So 2.5 headers per game would be considered very low.

dude, what are you arguing? 

40 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

dude, what are you arguing? 

I am not arguing with you, should have referenced @Domoboy23to tell him to go use FBref.com where he can find players who do between 10-20 headers won per 90. Unfortunately using average numbers isn't a good metric, it can be misleading in itself.

28 minuti fa, Rashidi ha scritto:

I am not arguing with you, should have referenced @Domoboy23to tell him to go use FBref.com where he can find players who do between 10-20 headers won per 90. Unfortunately using average numbers isn't a good metric, it can be misleading in itself.

but you are picking a league leading player with the highest number of headers per match and comparing him to a random (in game) defender essentially saying if the top performing striker in the league has these numbers it is ok a random defender has them as well.

it isn't:

1) The league leader you give as an example is a 200 cm tall target man used to atract all/majority of high balls his team plays so numbers are hugely skewed in his favour

2) A defender isn't going to attract all these balls, and if you look at numbers you posted, you'll see they actually have half of them (8) and those are the best performing defenders 

3) A random defender may, or may not be among these top defenders. However, it is likely he will not be among top 10% performers, and even if he was, in real he would have about half of the number you mention

Edited by MBarbaric

1 hour ago, Rashidi said:

Just to clarify I also wasn't arguing with anyone either :D, and was actually advocating for the large number of headers in the game and suggesting that they aren't as excessive as some would point out as it would only take 15-17 headers per game over a 40 game season  to hit the number that @angelo994thought was ''excessive'' in his screenshot.

As you say average metrics can be misleading, as well as the fact that real life stats don't always corelate into the FM ME for various reasons and rightly so sometimes for the sake of balance. I'd say the best way to judge is to watch matches in as much detail as possible. I personally don't find the numbers of headers excessive. Lofted balls from players from odd positions sometimes when they'd normally drive them low? Maybe on occasion, but nothing startling.

Edited by Domoboy23

Oh boy, I totally forgot what a ***** fest the whole club world cup thing is. First game 2/3 of the squad is on international duty, the gray stand-in players the game provides for me all play in positions that are not part of my formation. Just brilliant SI, absolute piece of genius. :applause:

2 hours ago, waraka14 said:

Have they done anything about players playing well into the end of their 30s? Benzema, Lewa, Busquets and many others are playing (highest level and with very little physcial decline) till 38-40. Just nuts. Classical SI, they saw one or two examples like Modric and Ronaldo playing high level football at an old age, and then as always over-compensated where now all players are doing this. It's not the norm, it is the exception.

There was a debate because young players develop too fast and old players decline too fast in FM 2021. This was producing almost no player development after ages of 23-26 and old players declining too fast of course. This was the problem always in FM, there was no point of buying older players or even using them because you knew next season they will decline rapidly, it was better to give some younger player playing time. For example let's go back 10 years ago, Totti had 10+ acceleration for example, and next season, one year later, it would drop to 8, which would render him useless. But SI in next FM would still give him 10 again which is also one year later.

I think this with older players lasting longer was introduced in FM2022, and I am not against it, because now it makes sense to buy older players as well, not just wonderkids, but yes, they didn't implement it well, since they last for too long. 

I believe they didn't do that just because of Modric or Ronaldo, but because there was a real problem in the game, older players were declining too fast and being useless because of that.

Does anyone know if there is a payout based on where a team finished in the league for La Liga in FM23? e.g. £30m for finishing 5th or whatever.

There were no such payouts in FM22 sadly, but it only seems to be the case for La Liga, and not any other leagues as far as I can tell.

5 hours ago, waraka14 said:

Have they done anything about players playing well into the end of their 30s? Benzema, Lewa, Busquets and many others are playing (highest level and with very little physcial decline) till 38-40. Just nuts. Classical SI, they saw one or two examples like Modric and Ronaldo playing high level football at an old age, and then as always over-compensated where now all players are doing this. It's not the norm, it is the exception.

Respectfully, I disagree with this.

For once experienced players actually have some value to sides. Previously once they hit 30 they'd decline rapidly.

Now, some of them still go down that route. And I find that physicals still do rapidly drop as you'd expect. But players with good mentals and technical skills are able to be useful, whereas before poor physicals would write any of that off.

Why all the interests in 30+ years old players all of the sudden?

The balance is there. Players ingame retire because there is no interest and their CA is getting decreased as they get older. Same goes with their psyhicals.

Playing after your 30's is getting frowned upon in the football community, and especially after 35+. So no, I don't want Buffons and Ibrahimovics in my game.

4 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

Respectfully, I disagree with this.

For once experienced players actually have some value to sides. Previously once they hit 30 they'd decline rapidly.

Now, some of them still go down that route. And I find that physicals still do rapidly drop as you'd expect. But players with good mentals and technical skills are able to be useful, whereas before poor physicals would write any of that off.

A lot of players do decline rapidly when they hit their early 30s.  That's a thing that happens IRL regularly.  And it can happen very quickly, too.  I haven't tested enough to see what happens after the first generation of players is fully retired and the first generation of regens is coming to the end of their careers in the late 2030s.  So I don't know what happens when it's regens aging rather than the hand-designed current-gen stars.  When I tested, I found that some of today's stars (Kane was one, and I think Immobile was another) were actually seeing net increases from 2023-2027.  That seems, uh, unlikely. 

I think, just as a hunch, that some of this is related to injuries.  Players seem very resistant to injury.  The last two full seasons I played, I was told I'd had 90% fewer injuries than expected, which squares; I had three injuries, total, in two seasons.  IRL, players age, they get injured more often and those injuries compound their decline.  If they don't get injured as often in FM, then they won't decline as quickly.

44 minutes ago, DMaster2 said:

The amount of injuries is insane, i don't remember the last time i was able to field my starting 11. Can we please fix this SI?

I’m sure if you said to a Liverpool or Spurs supporter that it’s unrealistic to not be able to field your first 11 for months on end, they’d disagree.

2 hours ago, DMaster2 said:

The amount of injuries is insane, i don't remember the last time i was able to field my starting 11. Can we please fix this SI?

Check your training intensity and the like as well, I found out the hard way I had screwed mine up, and seven players later finally figured out what was going one.  One hell of a PBKAC moment...

6 ore fa, Jellico73 ha scritto:

Check your training intensity and the like as well, I found out the hard way I had screwed mine up, and seven players later finally figured out what was going one.  One hell of a PBKAC moment...

The intensity is set on normal and my assman is taking care of the training routine. So it should be fine and the problem lies on the frequency or it's still screwed up and SI needs to fix the default schedule. Either way they screwed up on something

8 ore fa, SimonHoddle ha scritto:

I’m sure if you said to a Liverpool or Spurs supporter that it’s unrealistic to not be able to field your first 11 for months on end, they’d disagree.

In my last season i've just finished i wasn't able to field my ideal starting 11 not even once. I've started with a 1 month injury in the preseason of my starter AMC and then after that one or the other was injured at any given time. If that's realistic for you i raise the white flag.

Edited by DMaster2

1 hour ago, DMaster2 said:

In my last season i've just finished i wasn't able to field my ideal starting 11 not even once. I've started with a 1 month injury in the preseason of my starter AMC and then after that one or the other was injured at any given time. If that's realistic for you i raise the white flag.

Haha. I think it is tbh. Sorry but the game IRL is so intense now. Liverpool lost Luis Diaz at the start of the season. He’s still out. Ignoring all their other injuries throughout the season -VDV, Jota, Thiago, Robertson, Firminho, Henderson etc - without Dias they havent had their first 11 for 7 months

Edited by SimonHoddle

24 minuti fa, SimonHoddle ha scritto:

Haha. I think it is tbh. Sorry but the game IRL is so intense now. Liverpool lost Luis Diaz at the start of the season. He’s still out. Ignoring all their other injuries throughout the season -VDV, Jota, Thiago, Robertson, Firminho, Henderson etc - without Dias they havent had their first 11 for 7 months

Liverpool is one club, then there are thousand other top division clubs in europe. One exception doesn't make the rule. I also add Juventus (before someone decide to quote them) saying it's entirely their fault for signing a rotten player like Pogba. Except for one player (out of 26 of my team) none of the others are injury proness.

The amount of injuries i've sustained in the last two seasons are not normal by any means

Edit i've checked transfermarkt and he was playing at the start of the season, he started missing games mid october. My case is well different since i've not be able to play my ideal 11 since the very start of the season (august)

Edited by DMaster2

28 minutes ago, DMaster2 said:

Liverpool is one club, then there are thousand other top division clubs in europe. One exception doesn't make the rule. I also add Juventus (before someone decide to quote them) saying it's entirely their fault for signing a rotten player like Pogba. Except for one player (out of 26 of my team) none of the others are injury proness.

The amount of injuries i've sustained in the last two seasons are not normal by any means

Edit i've checked transfermarkt and he was playing at the start of the season, he started missing games mid october. My case is well different since i've not be able to play my ideal 11 since the very start of the season (august)

Funny. I have barely had any injuries in my 6 seasons in my current save. Sounds like you’ve just been really unlucky. How are your sports scientists? 

Edited by angelo994

28 minuti fa, angelo994 ha scritto:

Funny. I have barely had any injuries in my 6 seasons in my current save. Sounds like you’ve just been really unlucky. How are your sports scientists? 

18 sport science the head, 16 the other one.

Do the injuries happen while training or is it in the matches - in the matches is it bcs they were the target of a hard tackling or did they get injured while sprinting etc.

When you get injured players bcs they get tackled hard i find it hard to do anything against that.

When they injure themself and its muscular its often a sign of fatigue.

Injuries in training seem a thing of the type of training and intensity i would guess.

Also plain good/bad luck plays a role.

In terms of realism missing each match a player from the best eleven is relistic - Liverpool had very little key personal injured in the recent years and it was atypical imho and maybe a reason for their struggling this season as it hit then unprepared.

Edited by Etebaer

Might be worth checking the Risk Assessment view on the squad page. Sometimes I swing from thinking too many injuries and back again, maybe theres a pattern where several players become high risk at the same time and therefore all get injured when in real life, individuals 'natural fitness' attribute spreads these out much more.

15 minuti fa, Etebaer ha scritto:

Do the injuries happen while training or is it in the matches - in the matches is it bcs they were the target of a hard tackling or did they get injured while sprinting etc.

When you get injured players bcs they get tackled hard i find it hard to do anything against that.

When they injure themself and its muscular its often a sign of fatigue.

Injuries in training seem a thing of the type of training and intensity i would guess.

Also plain good/bad luck plays a role.

In terms of realism missing each match a player from the best eleven is relistic - Liverpool had very little key personal injured in the recent years and it was atypical imho and maybe a reason for their struggling this season as it hit then unprepared.

Lmao apparently there is only one professional team in the whole europe, so if it happens to Liverpool then whatever is fine. There are plenty of IRL teams with far less amount of injuries in the last 2 years than what i sustained my last season.

As for your questions, 60% on training 40% during games. I check out players before every match and rotate out those with low fitness or high injury risk (apparently it's not enough since they keep getting injured anyway...), training workload is set on normal for every player except for preseason where it's a bit higher on strenght workout.

Every year there's a few people complaining about too many injures blaming it on SI.

I think it's perfectly fine, maybe your tactics/intensity/rotation/staff/training is at play, or sometimes you're just unlucky. I peronsally experienced a very normal amount of injuries in 20+ seasons this year