[FM23] Born to Run - A Journeyman’s Escape from America - AC Milan

13th Man

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

I may try your way (MLS to Europe) or do my Preston NE project as my next Career Update. I'm beginning to feel the itch again.

Do it!

2 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

This has been a beautifully dominant career so far that I am slightly sad I've missed digging into as you've progressed. I'm following and I'll endeavour not to miss out on your wonderfully written next steps!

No worries! I honestly have trouble keeping up with your output so struggle to follow your careers - I try to pop in and look around regularly though!

57 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

Is this Lindsay’s final hurdle in America before trying to move to Europe? Am intrigue to see the finale!

That’s the big question isn’t it? It’s hard to leave a dominant team and go to a struggling one in a lower league. The calculation is to which one will help Lindsay succeed in Europe in the long run.

Should he win more with Austin (or at least challenge) and grow his reputation that way, or just get his foot in the door in Europe even if that risks getting into a relegation battle in a second division?

The goal has not changed - Lindsay wants to manage in Europe at the highest level. The question is only what is the best path?

Edited by 13th Man

bWfFyH9V8KJozuZK4RxMEp_UAoLMO_mAgM7OnltVcBPqmcyBnfM2WXWevMthQ42RXsPyfT5oBoeb0gH4Gc6Fa2srYR4nMcqgjvovnkjxOsYat-ZoPwxguKWfAyuch9fv1pkyQCKxtSeK3UszTSN8XHE

Fatigue

Q2 Stadium - Austin Texas

Western Conference Final

90 + 8 min: Austin 2 - 2 San Jose

[Fade in to a player standing near the corner flag, the fans behind him clearly anxious, we hear the announcer]

We are over seven minutes into stoppage time here at the Q2 stadium, and the score has remained locked at 2-2 since Rigoni scored late in the first half.

Austin have a corner. One last chance to avoid extra time. An extra time that would surely be advantage San Jose. Austin look exhausted while San Jose still have more in the tank. They’ve taken full advantage of their extra rest, and extra time might prove too much for Austin’s tired legs.

Rigoni stands over the ball, and a hush falls over the Q2.  Memories of Colorado’s shock win here in extra time of last season’s Western Conference Finals are still all too fresh in the minds of the fans and players alike. Will this be another repeat?

coX3urrnQ66e6-YyjVAfMRidfadIUicKay-RqSGWHEA2sB2xE3IL-Rj3lIQ5E8JTPGs-z3sy4tEhBWAN6cSnQzTbPDVnegcyDV1TspMSRoAmqF626ODwIPNLZ5qLD1DCLJ4Y7b3oDyfqlB5uxDgdxb4

Rigoni steps up to take the corner…

It’s cleared by San Jose, but only as far as Fagundez outside the box.  Fagundez plays it to Bender…Bender to Gabrielsen…takes a touch and…Rigoni is open, surging into the box.  San Jose have been caught flat footed…

eoFpjw6UYjZgc-DHLMN7A1OTDB0KkHrJk870WkBGx3uHNNneWyOc_-MLOOwSTtIwP2EqKeDruzz4OBxUT6fkk1jhBiim0nGDsrgSX3ODOqR1d3IHAIwOUh3PwAcetzRNCygPUuiCMnJhtXSd2U3agkk

Rigoni shoots….

GOAL!!!! GOAL GOAL GOAL GOOOOOOOOOAL!!!!

RIGONI CURLS IT INTO THE FAR CORNER IN THE 98th MINUTE TO PUT AUSTIN THROUGH TO THE MLS FINAL!!!!!

What a time to score his second and what a goal!  San Jose collapse onto the field, stunned.  They had Austin, the dominant Austin, right where they wanted them.  Their match planned had seemingly worked perfectly. 

Instead, Rigoni has broken San Jose’s hearts and the noise here in Austin is deafening!!!

eh1iQ-NMpPSJXWIdJycpBZI6szvu0QJELEV7gUxOkV-e0xZyhONlBvAA4Z7xIfUNxlKVBzih27Ev7KdDvMThdAz1Ck-Uxm1if3mi11ZyISzIO-2DFL_H1xr_IEwvA1NMek12wUrJyGmbpotl5qqX0wA

What. A. Finish.

Austin had looked in control early as Garcia scored after a lovely move down Austin’s right.

Then two minutes of madness allowed San Jose to score twice. The first was a bit unlucky, with a blocked shot falling right for San Jose’s forward. The second was just horrible - only seconds after the restart, a weak pass to LB Venegas from CB Carlos was pounced on, and Austin simply didn’t get organized. GK Sivera didn’t exactly cover himself in glory either.

An equalizer from RW Rigoni to end the half gave Austin hope, but they rapidly ran out of energy in the second half…

Until Rigoni’s stunning 98th minute goal, which sent Austin to their second MLS Final in three seasons.

2YTO2PNJyWzw5ZRE82bgbG0LU-3JwaHUDL_QM7V0liYly0gj0Cdbed8-oE03-GbeYs29mo4MdV6hk7cJT5VB2_1F4U-GSK_N9sj-1zjerYrQlK_OM9RWurrOO0ikSIOtrflkWu7ax1wuAfDWRJuqVFs

The bad news - and the reason there was so much stoppage time - was that CM(a) Roldan pulled his hamstring in the 90th minute and had to come off. This forced Austin to finish out the match with 10, but, more importantly, meant he would miss the final.

The early season trade from Seattle had taken a while to bed into the team, but when he got a run in the team as a CM(a), he took control of the role. While plenty of other factors played a part, his excellent play was crucial to Austin’s fantastic end to the season that saw them win 23 straight in all competitions.

dkyACP5yzzt4Qvkb3J-vhzU75apY4vxQkStXHKj5ZhhbcBLhduVaYeYb8m4h79RVPWbz4_ahf6eQsYJviddt8B-nYOtChbt87dgqUl7pqYQZ4q_YLJmPNSSP9VQMPhFMtFkr0w0-tYRr2bxvnT6rhW8

The MLS Final would be a showdown between the league’s two best teams. Last time, Austin were plucky underdogs against the juggernaut which had been Columbus. Now they were heavily favored to win.

As much as Lindsay knew his side was the better team, massive defensive lapses in two of the last three games had Lindsay a bit worried - especially when Montreal’s CF Toye had been all but unstoppable all season long, scoring an incredible 37 goals in 37 appearances.

Edited by 13th Man

S7oKnHtE_BeO_jTa-Iq8azMJbcXt3_LmpBaD6v3PwxfQGQBTrKCmv8GUjs7OOtSvNGJz-ngwpKadnrGZvjhvS3FJ5IACS4w_r5OsrityOS35TKxVOlG1o6VOWsyf1pkj-HbWsTmjHE_WHDWzk-KVTb0

Getting over the line7oukHYoxVft01D_q346NY_1oda9hW4fwrwi7pQdP10UNcCVlcxxm-LFTFPbluFVYexfJBE9r6cwQkHcGCNLrRrgSJNHtZMVHuAXHpD7Ms1iL4dFccb9KkbP0ykwKuaeBGv_Pj4QU3Zo7ZNq8uwvk6ys

MLS Cup Final - Post match press conference

Reporter - Brian [Lindsay], you sit here after winning your first MLS Cup. Even though you’ve won the NACL, Leagues Cup, and the Supporters Shield, you’ve come so close both of the last two years only to fall just short in the MLS playoffs. Even today it wasn’t as easy as the final scoreline suggests, how does it feel to finally get over the line?

Lindsay - I’m thrilled obviously, and proud of the team. Mentally, I always knew that three years is hardly a long time to wait, but to be so close, as you said, made the wait harder. 

It's so difficult to win a championship, and each time you fall short you wonder if your window is closing. Will you be able to keep the side together and make it all the way back. So yeah, it’s a massive relief to win it. I never doubted our ability to win but when the title comes down to one game you never know!

Reporter - The squad has gone through some changes, but the core of the team that fell just short in Columbus two years ago is still with the club. All told, five starters and three subs on the team sheet today started in that final, including the whole starting midfield trio. What did it mean for those players?

Lindsay - Winning a major trophy always means a lot, but I do think it was especially sweet for those that have been here with me since the beginning.

MC5H1KWgSR4Ziv9hQ7ZRZ2rwuJktYWVhj-DxQzmLa1VEXeML65qb-bCEPoba4tm1dOzgu1NRjWlttj9aydogK8ue1zKdGXRvJ5dIY3jkcVJ-yT_JfDSMaS8dgo10NgR193mZAl8EzetbGKmL9OoCnh0

Reporter - You brought on Bender for Rigoni in the 75th minute when it was 2-2 and he scored what would prove to be the winner only three minutes later. It proved to be a masterstroke but it was a brave move to take out Rigoni when you were looking for a goal. After that goal, you completely took control of the match and never looked back. Can you tell us what drove you to make that decision?

fHYJyJrXiFI48IfISX9koUZrpWxVFk7SHKdDUToHtkGT6PTS7PcfH45YGQP-MPkeMqYuvXUu5_eqqQGb7Y5LMUdb9igTkBw7-rFdu3ueEOmIMyg_q8EvPAvzh6WxYgkpBovb8rzWaoXaqhVRcF_sZkMm56OZAtqfNjvPbo00wVNzxsdfJGje9u_k-jQhGocgZV5x8McLqWJhVXot83Bd5KykJo3DjecN7QuSZFcoHFJDzAPIEtMQaQdv7xZGIVwKdXhSvDhoSAkQlOGRfvge8-iF3hKmzHXAuEqeHukiA-26uE

Lindsay - Emiliano [Rigoni] has been crucial to this playoff run, and to all our success this season. He won the match for us in the Conference Finals, and has been a massive player for this club. Today, he’ll be the first to admit, he wasn’t at his best. Really though, I just felt like we needed a change after Mason [Toye] equalized again and Montreal seemed to be growing in confidence. I felt like we were in danger of losing control of the game. I was hoping Ben [Bender] could come in with some fresh legs and fresh ideas. He’s been a creative force on the right wing and it’s fantastic to be able to bring someone of his quality off the bench. His run to the far post was timed to perfection, and Olmes [Garcia’s] cross was a thing of beauty. I honestly brought him on to create, but was happy to see him finish instead!

Reporter - Speaking of Garcia, he earned the man of the match award today after scoring two and providing the assist to Bender's goal. What a difference between this year and last, when he had so many chances to win the game against Colorado, only to fail again and again. That match seemed to confirm his reputation that he wasn’t a big game player. Can you tell me what was different this year?

Lindsay - Olmes [Garcia] took last year hard. He’d been in spectacular form and he ended up having a bad day at the office at the worst time. This season though, he got us the last minute equalizer in the NACL final and put on a performance here today as well. I would say that should silence the doubters. I don’t know that anything has truly changed, but I have made sure he knew that I had complete faith in him.

[Prematch - “I have faith in you” individual dressing room chat. Garcia has the doesn’t like big games personality trait]

Reporter - What did you make of Mason Toye’s performance today for Montreal? He barely got any service but still managed to score twice.

Lindsa - Obviously he was great, yeah. Our game plan was to limit his impact and try to stop him from getting the ball in dangerous areas [high press, much higher defensive line, counter press to stop quick transitions]. On the whole we did a good job, but we allowed him two good chances and he scored both. That’s just the kind of form he’s in so I’m glad we managed to put away our chances too.

Reporter - What went through your mind when Ditta so carelessly allowed Toye to take the ball off him for Montreal’s second?

Lindsay, with a chuckle - In the moment? I don’t think that would be appropriate to say out loud to all you fine folks. He and I had a laugh at the end, but had we not gone on to win Willer [Ditta] would have been harder on himself than I could be on him. He knows that was inexcusable to dally on the ball in that moment and it was very uncharacteristic of him. You can’t gift wrap chances to anyone, much less a player in that kind of form.

Reporter - Criscito announced that he would be retiring at the end of the season and got a short send off at the end of the match, even chipping in with an assist for Garcia’s second and Austin’s fourth. Did you put him in at the end just to give him a send off or was there some other reason?

Lindsay - Mimmo [Criscito] has been a fantastic servant to the club and we’ve been lucky to have him these past two and a half years. Francisco [Venegas] was looking pretty gassed, we were protecting a one goal lead, and Mimmo is as dependable as it comes at the back. But yeah, giving him a cameo at least was always in the back of my mind.

Reporter - Along with Criscito, rumors are swirling that Ring has also just played his final game for Austin. He has yet to sign a contract and it seems talks have stalled. Can you comment?

Lindsay - This is not the time or place. What I can say is that to see him raise the Cup today after all he’s given to this team was a thing of beauty.

Reporter - What about you Brian? Can we expect to see you in the dugout next season? There have been reports that you’ve applied unsuccessfully to a handful of jobs in Europe in the past year as well as the US men’s national team. What are the chances that Austin FC have just seen the last of Brian Lindsay?

Lindsay after a short pause - I love this club and all that we have built here. I will remain committed to making this team better so long as I am employed here. I have a plan to take us forward into next season and have every intention of getting to work on it as soon as I’m done celebrating this win. I can’t guarantee what the future will hold, but I can guarantee my commitment to this club as long as I am head coach…

Edited by 13th Man

qmOA_VchECBM8zuY-21317wCsgoBL0jwfGlfuv9vIb-_VqHVc-LrBqvTdHtCcTaGtlCpm5XRyAySs4N35crJQBR3b9W_iMMxgb0qdM4bgKC_cUHRLsgOgBuSKwq3RLGc2-3UjhZVGD0j9n1mRMLDyEc

Know when to hold ‘em

After significant deliberation, Lindsay decided to stay for one last season in Austin - or at least part of it. It wasn’t that Lindsay had any sense of unfinished business - far from it - and he would be on the prowl for promising jobs in Europe. A few things swayed him to stay, however.

He still found the project interesting.  There was a tricky but fascinating offseason to deal with. Tactically, he had ideas that he felt would make the team reach a whole new level. He felt like he’d done a lot to turn Austin from an expansion team into a powerhouse, but he wanted to set them up to last.

There was also the fact that the jobs that were available in Europe for someone of his limited pedigree didn’t look promising at all. There were no underperforming fallen giants, no decent sides that weren’t living up to their potential. Most top flight sides wouldn’t consider him, and he wasn’t sure he wanted to leave a successful side playing the best football in North America to go be blamed for a poor team continuing to play poorly. Not just yet anyway.

Finally, with the choices evenly balanced, one thing tipped the scale - the Club World Cup.  As much as it was seen as a distraction in Europe, Lindsay would love to take his Austin side and (hopefully) put on a strong showing, even if he had little expectation that they could beat top European sides.

He decided he wouldn’t rush his move. He was still in his 30s, still enjoying managing Austin.

All that said - he planned to be a bit more active in keeping his eye open for good opportunities during the season. Even if he didn’t get another job during the season, though, he’d definitely resign after - hopefully with his reputation boosted by another trophy or four.

[One other major factor in my decision - work is a bit crazy and about to ramp up even more, so the thought of starting from scratch with a struggling side might be a bit much for me.  I don’t plan on doing monthly updates for this season, but more general, thematic tactical ones other than, possibly, some big matches. A big squad building post is next, then tactics!]

pVwL9oAO2LUMD3Cva33QyKxmX_OSjD589VYp54uh92G4EbIjnFAsiV5KQfCcR9MKoLMgOYOkgdHCNvj3EpoE-GCbWE4zzfJeahEr5blWmUX3ocP6TcIcZaDCSs6DZTXmcIp2suhbdgyzG0oShF9BQHI

Canary in the coal mine  (The offseason - Part I)

Alexander Ring is not the type of player who can change a match by himself, that would be left winger Sebastián Druissi. He is not the type of player that will get double digit assists and goals in a season, that would be right winger Emiliano Rigoni. What Ring has done for the past three years, though, is personify the way Austin play under Brian Lindsay. He is tireless, he is aggressive, and he’s also a technically excellent soccer player who is comfortable on the ball, who can pick a pass, and score when you need it most.

He has been the beating heart of Austin’s midfield.

That is why the news that Ring will not be returning next year is a big deal. Contract negotiations have been going on for months, but the club have confirmed that Ring has been set for release.

You can see where Head Coach and de facto Sporting Director Brian Lindsay is coming from. Ring is 33, and while he’s still performing at a high level, it’s clear his age is starting to catch up to him. He is no longer able to effectively cover the left flank anymore and his feet seem a bit heavier when he’s on the ball.

More to the point, though, like the two players he was compared to in the opening above, he takes up one of three Designated Player slots at Austin. Currently on a $1.9 million a year contract, reports say that Ring was willing to give up his Designated Player status, but that his salary demands remained in the region of $1 million a year: far lower than previously but still far above the average starter’s wage [$400k-600k/a]. Without the Designated Player status, his full wage would also count against the cap, making that annual $1 million even more difficult to afford. 

[Designated Player Salary impact explained below…]

Spoiler

The salary cap impact of each Designated Player (3 per team) maxes out at $744k/a in 2025, no matter what the transfer fee or player contract. They could, technically on a $54 million a year contract, and he would still only count for $744k against the salary cap. Basically the cap impact is capped for Designated Players.

It appears Lindsay thought this was simply too much. Paying roughly twice the usual starting wage for that for a player likely to fade into a squad role would be folly.

Then there’s 37 year old leftback Criscito who is retiring. On the pitch, Criscito won’t be a huge loss Though a huge part of Lindsay’s first two years in Austin, Criscito has been reduced to a squad role this year. However, he’s another team leader who is departing this offseason.

There are legitimate fears that Austin may suffer from lack of leadership on the field [pitch] and in the locker room [dressing room]. They also are like two canaries in a coal mine - a warning of what likely awaits this club over the next few years.

The core of Austin’s squad is heading towards the wrong side of 30. At the start of the 2025 season, three of Lindsay’s current preferred 11 will be 32 or older, not including Ring. Four more will be 29. They will need a new core of players and soon.

There are signs that Lindsay is aware of this. 23 year old American midfielder and right back Taylor Booth will arriving from FC Utrecht in the Netherlands for $675k, and 25 year old Brazilian leftback Matheaus Bidu will be arriving on a free transfer. Both players are on the younger side and are both high quality replacements for Ring and Criscito. It must be said, however, that Booth is nowhere near the level that Ring is even now.

9wISc3qHXUh1tc1n_GjCrxa5WUbQ2fhkU80YxBVR2k4Rvc7i1rzoNMxci5kKsRCgul3_EFprvrK9DPkI3_jp7HWMIh5eXhUmQ7LDcaOMlWMSfrD0v4a0JcgoiRIoeD1GC1uaeqU-nRy_H0bTTvf-EnA

Spoiler

b-UzcHjUmsXgpSQNbm05GQ1aHLt2ayO2sLdrvF16VDlwacPAZiQDOch8280yX2dRvmRr6G2gRc6QKzJUkDqnTODfXP6fUorBrgGn5FGPd1agd82EDtoJZSynYAvGYCz8OqU5xxKDcGQYjlzZ4jVZoZ4

Taylor Booth will be joining from FC Utrecht for a fee of $675k. The 23 year old American is highly versatile, able to play midfield and rightback, while also a potential option for Austin’s left inside wingback role.

Spoiler

rSahiytU_7TH-gZPralEeM7l7Qf-a11oqjEruxaafWHiuyV_vcSQftXvUBikVxgJrp_4-LphfRPO9CZ5J2yDye-z1kWMa7QAijWiGV7Eax1g1OVZ9R4eJaW6mSyA0zkbCgv1Rk3wxrKtydB1YtTBPd8

25 year old leftback Matheus Bidu will be arriving on a free from Brazil. A more traditional, left footed leftback than current first choice Venegas, it will be interesting to see if Lindsay used him as an inverted wing back.

As the off-season continues, Lindsay will need to replenish the squad. He’ll have a decent amount of cap space, and he’ll also have something he hasn’t had before - an open Designated Player slot which he can use to bring in a truly talented player.

[That was the other part of Designated Players - the transfer fee normally counts against the salary cap in the MLS, with the fee divided across the length of the contract. So, with a $1.5m transfer fee and a 3 year, $500k contract would normally mean a salary cap impact of $1m/a (500k+(1.5m/3)). But, to use the impossible comparison, Mbappe for a $200m fee + his $54m/a contract would still only be $744k against the cap.].

pVwL9oAO2LUMD3Cva33QyKxmX_OSjD589VYp54uh92G4EbIjnFAsiV5KQfCcR9MKoLMgOYOkgdHCNvj3EpoE-GCbWE4zzfJeahEr5blWmUX3ocP6TcIcZaDCSs6DZTXmcIp2suhbdgyzG0oShF9BQHI

The off-season part II - The business

The focus

Lindsay was always on the lookout for depth. It was crucial to success anywhere, but especially in the MLS. He wanted quality options at every position, and he thought he might just have a plan.

He also wanted to get the side younger, he wanted to build a core of younger talent that could begin to take over as the current core headed towards the twilight of their careers. He had no plans to be there for that transition, but he hoped to set up the club for years to come.

Here’s a fugly sheet to show the look of the squad in the 2024 season as opposed to the outlook for 2025. 

Green means under 25 - Young players yet to hit their potential.

Blue is for 25-28 - Peak years, can be in the squad for 4+ years

Yellow is for 29 - Still have 2 or so years at their peak, but plans need to be made

Orange for over 30-31 - Veteran players who need reliable backups to step into their roles sooner rather than later

Red is for 32+ - Twilight of the career, will likely be their last year or at least will need replacing very soon.

GK

Sivera

Luthe

GK

Sivera

RB

Lima

Ataide

RB

Lima

Ataide

CB

Ditta

Cobb

CB

Ditta

Cobb

CB

Carlos

Gabrielsen

CB

Carlos

Gabrielsen

LB

Venegas

Criscito

LB

Venegas

Bidu

DM

Valencia

De Los Santos

DM

Valencia

De Los Santos

CM(a)

Roldan

Fagundez

CM(a)

Roldan

Fagundez

BBM

Ring

Pereira

BBM

Booth/Pereira

Booth/Pereira

RW

Rigoni

Bender

RW

Rigoni

Bender

LW

Druissi

Fagundez

LW

Druissi

Fagundez

CF

Garcia

Plaza

CF

Garcia

Plaza

You can see how the color is shifting very much away from the cool tones to the hot ones.  There’s a lot more red heading into the 2025 season and a lot more yellow.  Austin would go through a lot of turnover in the next few seasons, so Lindsay wanted to set up the side with players that could step in and seamlessly take over starting roles as current starters faded.

There were some players at the club who fit the mold of what Lindsay would be looking for.  Ben Bender had been fantastic on the right wing as a rotation option for Rigoni,  including coming in to score the winner in the MLS Cup final.  He was turning 25, American, and still had some room to grow before he hit his peak.

Keeping the band together 

Most of the first 11 - other than Ring obviously - was signed at least through the end of 2025. The one other exception was the quietly dependable RB Nick Lima.

At first, he demanded to double his previous salary. Apparently, all it took was a few scouts to check him out and he suddenly expected to double his previous salary and make $1m/a. Lindsay rated Lima highly, but not that highly.

9E65E-ZtvZ7xpcVIEKwJ8c5e-D--HxHUdimMwwUb-6waYDIPN951IrxcSMOaKXkAzhzftRWsBfjhg062KUSbjn3rmWAX-twjWjEMo_6L4Bn1iLQg6O__sW-EjKhWObGupDPshb8o6ciIajaRPGNnoMo

The interest faded - likely as soon as clubs heard what Lima was expecting - and Lindsay returned to the table. A $100k/a from his previous wage was much more palatable than a $500k/a raise. A two year contract was about perfect for the 29 year old Lima as well.

International slot issues

Austin had previously received two extra international registration slots in trades, so had the luxury of 10 international registration spots in the 2024 season. This number would fall to the normal 8 in 2025, however.

Luckily, RW Rigoni received a green card which gave him an American second nationality, and Italian Criscito was retiring. Criscito was to be replaced by Brazilian LB Bidu, meaning one international player would still have to make way to drop the number to 8.

Maybe backup, maybe not

That player would be a solid but unremarkable backup forward Stivan Plaza, who was out of contract at the end of the year. 

Lindsay had been strongly considering moving on from him anyway, because star forward Garcia was another of Austin’s aging core, and Austin would need a long term replacement soon. At 32, Garcia was already just beginning to lose his explosive pace - which was an important part of his game.

That meant the player brought in couldn’t just be a backup - that Lindsay would need to find a player ready to step into the starting role should Garcia start to fade during 2025 - or if his injury history began to catch up with him again.

Two forwards fit the bill - good all around players with enough physicality to be a presence in the box and technical ability to be part of build up play, while also having American nationality.

I0-ADW4wc1Rx4rTOs60mMMKeIrbmAj8WXmakXJjoKOZPAcyYuK9AKmGOO3mqx5t5yJUMPnfe2bTEN16ofhrUHqncPY2Y9-dcouMS5mEa8WmN9DYozad-7JdXwPAoxKDT0qBL_9E56BIrHP40Jo-MMjwsvEcNkVJTe61zkoo50PCTfVCL3aDDSAvmj7z5bUXfd34pvj_cqrQkhPMR0o9WW4JlliqLSoLZfjlbxCh51HFHFb7iUFFodTr9gT4r1sihAs8qdMqZLuXjWqKfo3nM6HK-hq5OGAAr0Dif3wlTblsULg

Former Philadelphia forward Julian Carranza was the better of the two according to Austin’s scouts. Now plying his trade back in Argentina, Carranza had the added bonus of being comfortable on the left wing.

He would likely cost several million, however, and wasn’t overly interested in a return to the MLS - with his agent suggesting he would accept nothing less than $700k/a. By itself, that was already a lot, but when combined with the additional salary cap impact of the transfer fee it became impossible to justify.

8PLgIhDBJdYjTiHVcF0cDsEujtY3p2P0zP-XnqC6Q8azGnoDWZAbwxjbDnlqLTjtCMmUc0TlfU6LXvVtmrC3MsWeX9kj1RL9hQzwbRkcK3CU1HQwV4kfk2im5HybzL4tpBzuwR0DGH7M1R6EgNY14K0

yRNLPkkmT9yEtU6McxPt1RhW53tLI2ImlDYI3P1dgLSbeciVwzJfvjxQaMEswj7kw9dSSVqzYSspOBu3ZMq0BaH9NOL2xYPgOeTAyzYBcbDIZp_VOfLsMHiT-v4tIPKDOxcFiQkXxjUC57KGtht6j3c

Saint Louis’ Nicolas Gioacchini, despite being less rated by the scouts, was in some ways Lindsay’s preference from the start. He was considered a big game player, scored more than Carranza in equal game time, and generally displayed better fitness overall - a key need in the MLS’s physically demanding season.

There was a worry that he’d been only a squad player in a bad Saint Louis team, but considering the final price - a late draft pick and $500k in General Allocation money, plus a contract of only $374k/a - he was the better option.

A former USA international, the 25 year old’s career had stagnated after showing promise in the late 2010’s when he’d graduated from Paris FC’s academy and gone on to play at Montpellier in Ligue 1 before moving to the MLS.

Lindsay felt that Saint Louis had not given him much of a chance, and he hoped he could reignite the player’s career in Austin.

A new era

Club captain Ring had left a large hole in the squad. He would not be simple to replace, but Lindsay was thrilled to find someone who might just fit the bill - a young American at Austin’s parent club PSV named Danny Leyva. It might take time, but Lindsay felt confident he would grow into the role.

VsV3JxN7fjaL4QzaHO77E9AeWS3OK-jBz7NN__3fTfTv2pf_bdKVnM9xT_eKTGmGuUQ1tEw_OSguhqp4AHjJG-85CdQgAJWMP-GH9UvMsU56NIsVy-24ev2Rug350ItvSXrJvmVZ12j0FMfOOowN3lk

A graduate of Seattle's academy, the 21 year old returns to the MLS after two years in the Netherlands for a $5m initial fee and $1m in potential appearance money.  The young American was a solid all around footballer, and looked set to grow into Ring’s role as the BBM in Lindsay’s Austin. Leyva didn’t quite have the workrate or aggression that Ring brought, but he was an accomplished passer and had a lot of potential.  

Though he hadn’t made the grade yet at PSV, he was only 21 and he’d already been successful in Seattle as a teenager.  He looked ready to be a star in the MLS.

The draft

Austin’s league places had meant the two previous drafts had barely been a focus for Lindsay. Austin’s success always meant they picked close to last [worst go first]. The youngsters left were project players years away from first team football…at best.

After receiving Salt Lake City’s 2025 first round draft pick as part of a trade in 2024, however, Austin had the luxury of picking 6th in the MLS Superdraft.  They used it to grab a high potential player that Lindsay had favored from the beginning - and would have picked first of all the options anyway.

QwfZKg93rjgVp2w2qdp3j79ju-5RLPJdlCegapOW4RBRWLAXRHyUSpzLnsslgVSJKolG6IL75Pw2sJNJhbTu5lOt7mWV-JImjHqc0Y8qv_JqPg-6dfaX8bHAG_DTvKwwetMa6B5pJLQ4L1JSeps_BAs

The 20 year old was surprisingly well rounded for his age. He had plenty to learn and needed to spend some time on strength training, but he was already a technically solid player and the scouts rated him as a potential MLS star of the future. He was likely going to be able to step in and play a role on occasion even in the 2025 season.

Transfers out

Along with letting backup forward Plaza and BBM Ring leave as their contracts ran out, Lindsay also accepted a large offer for backup midfielder Daniel Periera. Though a solid option, he was prone to errors and was showing signs that maybe he’d hit his ceiling as a player.

When Toronto came in with an offer of $1m in General Allocation money and three 1st round draft picks (two in 2026, one in 2027), Lindsay accepted. This would clear up space for newcomer Booth anyway, who was close to Perriera’s ability, but with much more upside - and it might just replenish the team with young talent for the next few years.

The result

Though only Ring departed from the first choice 11, his departure was the first of many that would come over the next few years. The core of Austin’s squad was edging towards the wrong side of 30. Of that first choice 11, three were 32, and four were 29. Though Lindsay wasn’t going to be there for it, he wanted to set up Austin for years of success, so his focus over the offseason was younger and more American (to help Austin avoid needing to use limited international slots).

GK

Sivera

Gallese

RB

Lima

Ataide

CB

Ditta

Cobb

CB

Carlos

Gabrielsen

LB

Venegas

Bidu

DM

Valencia

De Los Santos

CM(a)

Roldan

Fagundez

BBM

Leyva

Booth

RW

Rigoni

Bender

LW

Druissi

Gioacchini

CF

Garcia

Flores

Work still needed to be done, but the outlook was a lot better as the new season approached.  There was still a lot of yellow in the first team, and three players who were about to begin their decline, but the squad behind that was a lot more blue and green.  Leyva was already a very good MLS player and had the chance to be a star.  Players like forward Gioacchini and midfielder Booth were starting quality options and rightback Ataide and forward Flores were ready to play significant roles in the coming season.

A new core was being built at the squad.  Lindsay wouldn’t be there to see it blossom, but he took pride in knowing that, if nothing else, he’d set Austin up for continued success.

3TVjnhjY7KqGZ4EyNnzlEZuQ4flrwaww0hB0bhw8SPJyODk1Nif0ySLYQERwzHkAk2iTCn5xeomfuiOphSkxE-iB0W5DtVkx4F7N_vq8pYv-nK3WuS2A3hBvCYIKTXi3aflrcncTUXCH-taOm-qOx8Q

A big club - a tactical post

As Lindsay started what would be his last season at Austin, he wanted to fully implement a few changes that he’d used effectively in the 2024 playoffs, as well as come up with more effective options.  Austin had a tremendous 2024 season - winning a quadruple - but were plagued mid season by a series of draws. With Austin now a certified “big club” in North America, his tactics needed to reflect that.

The “Coiled-Spring” would remain the default, the fall back. It was perfect for evenly matched games - but those were far less often by that point. Now Austin tended to face low blocks that looked to deny Austin space in behind. Most teams were no longer willing to push forward even if given space. When that happened, Lindsay would have to take the game to them.

Counter press 

Lindsay had tried to avoid instructions that would add to the fatigue in the side. Now, however, Austin had excellent depth at every position, and that meant he could rotate more without fearing the same drop off in quality.  Austin were generally very solid defensively when they had the chance to get organized. Like many top teams, however, they could be vulnerable to the counter. The counter press would help force the opposition into hurried clearances and back passes, giving Austin time to get set.

The counter press had worked perfectly against a stubborn Colorado side in the 3-0 playoff win, and had mostly limited San Jose and Montreal as well. Rather than win the ball back quickly, the aim was to slow down counters.

Higher Tempo

There would be times to keep things simple, but Lindsay wanted to move to a quicker passing style on the whole to not let teams get comfortable. He had quality passers across the team, so could rely on the players to have the technical ability to complete passes at a higher tempo.

Variety

Coiled Spring

IY0oKunS2dzix0bmnRp4-yZqtuRyrMqXD1xAADSyLdDzXwjz52eBWEhcr9mI682UbAOb7yvFU2CbFDnUW3emaQxDtAP7hNoZqh66N6t1aQie_qAGNSawoPmuaYDGq8CwLkB1_hLf6fgfhH4y6Ibtcco

PI - both wingers stay wider, roam from position

Against gegenpressing sides or in evenly matched games, Lindsay would keep with the tried and true “coiled spring” that looked to invite the opposition up to the halfway line and open up space in behind. It featured a highly mobile and fluid midfield trio, a IWB that played like a center mid, and an CM(a) that basically acted as a deep lying forward in possession.

This tactic opened the season against a strong, gegenpressing Atlanta side and got Austin a 2-0 win. Both goals came from moments where Austin pulled Atlanta onto them and hit them quick in behind.

p1aZchtjcN1HNgbRD0Py_CQVcm-sfyUxeKaoC9D4Q2FKEJ54h8v36GVcc2-NCnEfB7Jvbw89B_rENFJ3ptwqFhq3jjc3L2ExGX_zlpoJAOzqo-npBp1Egz4eZLOPBz0FN2V1o-LHySjngZWkO-GW5k0

Here Atlanta are trying to get the ball to their LW, but after letting Atlanta advance, Austin begins to press now that they have crossed midfield.  The pressure in the center forces an inaccurate ball that RB Lima is able to intercept - but Atlanta have committed players forward.

FjYcUNXPOT_sSpcHCCb1UoPu763FgzKAQEiYYoQMZgM3pqbnOp8OgRdJnogH4fZ2LJFFYdoZvwrjkkBAgpaUkVOUkyVodgh3fp1LpKEOZvrUhIn-TR_6g1Bk0B4UkzQrEw7Jh6JkVBODlpdos7gYv9k

RB Lima heads it down to CM(a) Roldan, who one touches the ball to RW Rigoni (circled).  This takes all of a second and a half, leaving Atlanta no time to transition. Austin are on the counter, and Rigoni quickly sends it into the huge space in behind before Atlanta’s CBs can react.  Garcia is through on goal.

For most of his three seasons in charge, Lindsay had stuck to mostly this same tactic with slight tweaks. Sometimes he’d switch the BWM to defend, sometimes he’d push up his lines if Austin needed to get control of a game, or narrowing the width to punch through the middle, but the changes were minor. The coiled spring had been very effective both defensively and going forward, but Lindsay spent the offseason coming up with some other options.

Big Club Football

o2wTNRirH_8dkdwZ9NzueMGfEqnpskez0U8-cN-G2VWdeeVDGMMdiUBnslcc4Xtw4qayIja8sMvCZBNE6DxwjHHHX9lkWWqjlkpBdO2TCcdTbqT3kFHk2qLRkoAsYi794c_mtWEWCs05A6uMndw0M6g

(Same PIs as Coiled Spring)

This was not heavy metal football by any means, but it had more of an emphasis on pressing than the “Coiled Spring”. While not vastly different, this variation featured more proactive team instructions. Against sides who wanted to control possession or who just wanted to sit back, Lindsay would look to press higher and harder, and to play with more urgency going forward.

Lindsay used a lot of these instructions at various points, but he wanted to train it more, all together, and get the players as used to it as they were to the “Coiled Spring”.

t-Z_vl6RjUlw-DmM989i4WHExI1WEaQssWL-Iqq52NpTJ5_x-EpsPGjrmQyGaUX_1dOj0iIdn3PRqxg6kqyTo0j72yKLNg1Wep7KxTwvZ4ciIabLqUZ__0SnBtkgfai5-zJhGQtGZ4XPqnFBtt9YKSk

Early in the season, against a Chicago side that also liked to control possession and tried to play for a draw, Austin were crushingly efficient. Chicago left registering only two extremely low quality shots on target for a grand total xG of 0.07 from four shots. Even better - this match featured a lot of rotation options after a NACL quarterfinal.

Ace in the Hole

5CJyMQKWsYVOk7jHS-kvvCbnWI44aqHgFb8AdVxYkHrK9ZFq7HL6c1kZdhCHjLKafPx2JZmLjMxjRY7MAXiIS-zO_7sGLBvTFfsRuEVHyJmMaGbNa1VXj_agvgjq97TJC4TFPwGqtyXgL7giEfpVNPw

PIs - same as previous except…

LW stay wider sit narrower

LB stay wider

This variant was an in match tweak when Austin has gone a goal down the previous season. It resulted in a ten minute hat trick for LW Druissi on the way to a 4-1 win. If using a left footed WB instead of a right footed player as a IWB, Lindsay could use his LW as an IF and the LB as width. Where the IWs had the stay wider instruction, here the IF would be tasked with taking up more central positions [even more than default] and the LB would be instructed to stay wide [even more than default].

Without the cover of the narrow WB, Lindsay would generally keep the DM a bit more conservative on defend rather than the usual support.

The reason for this was it allowed the lethal Druissi to receive the ball closer to goal and/or attack the space between the FB and CB. He thrived going one on one with FBs, but as an inside forward he could cause trouble with his off the ball movement and force the defense to either lose their shape or give him space.

In this first shot, we see Austin moving into their attacking shape shortly after winning the ball while in the Big Club tactic.

RsN0ugPjMk76bbZ_tsuZV16U0V-XxJM7nYnFJAkxqrjtfL_o-zZC3lX5Cl5Cx04JUrmFoKT89K_VqLl1yEbxJHAuQFEOtgTSHjqDG8dDq9gnv6Z5d-htQs-pzw5FMKTgdLD-bT5Z4d3LkQivdlA0xqk

The IWB is moving narrower while RW Druissi is almost on the touch line even though the ball is on the opposite flank.

In this match, Kansas City went up 1-0 midway through the second half after Austin had looked toothless. Lindsay switched to the Ace in the Hole and ended up winning 2-1.

KeNK7QnwmX1xFWMYBa0W-_bgDDt82Tg9yYNpKWBrHX6Ws_zTtR5u-73KQzTiir77IkfXpW80gyOvkCY8yXRLF_M17Vag4l56uYmIg0HagOvc_CBk3raTt-P7n_EkPZen8tiR54FZmm54nAPBC6MCcEA

Compare this to the shot above - here Druissi’s position is much narrower (former position is the dotted circle) despite the ball being with the left center mid, and the LB is pushing wide towards where Druissi had been positioned in the Big Club variant.

72hDcjni-9n-iFljxOS7J7nd3X_HQsTdR6hLEpoCoHpoK35ZF0cr2Y5R0mtwxKn9AzlTr_ewiN39wJDtuB3VLHl4HqbNBvShAeabOMmYBtTjdCTJ4-wnypkNP6BpvEhAbeUOtVbpZWJ_EDMhHW6Oc4I

A bit later, the first of Austin’s two goals came after Austin won possession back around midfield. Already much narrower, Druissi has 5-10 yards of separation on the right back as Austin counter. With Druissi’s pace, the RB is simply not going to catch up. The ball is progressed quickly down the right, sucking both CBs over, and this allows RB Ataide to lay a simple cross into the path of Druissi with the goal at his mercy.

Hcyhy4EoyaqZJ7bl4TovpHIvUNUo5bKanLo1u6nISqn3wBjMPwmYQM1hQYgj9dmhGVh7ZtMGLlDNn0Ww8S2qMFj5wXTbkCBq_eUnZT47HQ3FZOi03Q7Nz_vYuT-chjQyt7yoQIktpOOtYnInS_yXbLE

The Big Club variant had been dominant statistically before the Kansas City goal - but they hadn't been able to make it count until the switch to the Ace in the Hole.

Choices

The idea was all about having set options and choices to change matches. Lindsay had just made tweaks to the Coiled Spring before, but now he wanted to work them in training and come up with complete systems - even if they were all variations on the same style. Now he had them, so far, they were working…

Edited by 13th Man

I like the idea of having the same formation with different PI's and TI's for different situations. I often intend to do it but almost never change tactics during a match. I am more of a mentality switcher.

On 01/05/2023 at 02:51, Hootieleece said:

I like the idea of having the same formation with different PI's and TI's for different situations. I often intend to do it but almost never change tactics during a match. I am more of a mentality switcher.

It’s been working really well lately to do minor role adjustments - often have a massive effect.

V6z3UEHOw7HYiwguIyOwRIbEarUIZDAqe38hGlWiw1-yqfTwzuipiY5FHOhtYiFhEQ5HPQ4lOxAA-YlRI9V0UVgGHwzHAgSWYy-_IVeIbsQ04bRTtowUGiAe71VI4fOICY8crN7406H0cTnZlarSQQ0

Green Cards and Loans

So - remember how Lindsay needed to worry about International Player slots? Just kidding. Both CB Gabrielsen and DM Valencia were granted Green Cards right about as the season started, meaning they could claim American nationality and freed up two international slots for Austin to play with.

[A Green Card does not make you an American citizen, but it does allow you to permanently work and live in the US rather than apply for and renew visas…and count as an American for MLS registration purposes!]

g8v5G5UV7EOqxK2x70iZe_rBW_SmAfW3hxf4Tnah3tsnKFQ8gb3ZbquV2sYGcoXGy4XmBmxZ9nzjGWVcrOSqAIWue7XokHmmeydL9x2sFG7_k8iyf2U7nvU-9tmvzwlzy2Ul1ZLphjdu-vVfNWxSuz46QYFF5jlJ_m1QjwkojW7OqpvHkujaW1XzBfFXlHPjlgIT8AFWfYXxqrtv7EE2UCcJ0-_QcUO8tyumzv5Dsa-qi2rqe19gDTT7520B1bIvtv8BSR-kAFxUo0-pGhfSExZuH8qefZz_hNMFxXt6i9-ssE

The first would be taken by a graduate of Manchester City’s academy who couldn’t quite make it to their vaunted first team, 23 year old Englishman Tommy Doyle. He was another very well rounded midfielder with room to grow, BUT he wouldn’t be arriving until the summer at the end of his contract with City. This turned out to be a shame because…

uhE-f-Esk4YZrpnoLoTXn1ZJ66__9rV4pcn8mB08j6P7U_UYMQMVUo5Hq9RTTVK24ZUTLA23kL21Oi-_rEYUsI0tM824Gl0qE8oLXPXHIDVOzm5x8nwFyFlWxRbuCH0QacVs6c3esAiyRle8rJEf140

First choice CM(a) and new club captain Roldan got a bad hip injury in the second game of the season which would keep him out for 2-3 months.

Fagundez had been the preferred CM(a) option before Roldan, but he was a natural winger.  More importantly, he couldn’t be expected to play two matches a week for three months, and he’d be needed on the wings as well.

Especially with Doyle arriving in the summer, Lindsay didn’t want to sign someone permanently, but instead looked to the loan market.

247TQofOkjF6FpQOsphgCkbVNoAZq0eDpudwYsUN0ujp7upYU8zvhg7ddcNsX2C1JAUoJJtmf4jYySj0r2fwyNBhqs4_BzNiog20ozFqC7VopvrHoLJkNDbGI-xGjkOAzxps3FVZfLp_FDIy1d_Ab4g

baAwrPnoKRrfcrs_ArAT1TJ8L02wlnIPfQQTJESEKUUyTy7pFmi8CJrm2lBnJ2nZKSH52FzmvQqxEEJJfOtO9vAd6mvEPwplTiQJht9R2-lszMjuNzlNwWpszibWdnczSSNvoPzG65GyL2KDCahk1uU

In comes 20 year old Mohamed el Arouch from Lyon. He had quality across the board but needed to get a bit more experience before breaking into the first team in France. A three month loan was agreed to and Lindsay felt as if all parties would very much benefit from this arrangement.

There was a $10.5m optional transfer fee, though Lindsay had no intention of triggering it…

7FgHKyQiRCs-LY1mq_k1p-cW9WBXhJ1AJNdtlFrL7FP8dDre77VBsE4pD7cVNiREHOdiXDVl7_GGSvbwxgIKioDCmalo2iGh-XcLQpWZvhDTTLPUbAxYpVzSIMiDbq1Q6PF8iqd25mZ1z13QH9TzTVk

Austin don’t like it up ‘em

We use war metaphors constantly when taking sport. We use terms like squads, midfield battles, counter-attacks, bombarding the goal, etc etc. Yet in the 2025 season, this metaphor bent dangerously close to reality for Austin.

It seemed as though MLS teams had decided that if they couldn’t compete with Austin, they would just kick them instead. 

This meant injuries, so many injuries.

As mentioned in the last post, CM(a) Roldan was taken out with a crunching tackle only two games into the season, and would be out for 2-3 months.

wh3qVJZW1aGOEQ-efBHZJ3AyrMwSovfkCIDoNGJwCXVOzOoSgJhfckgyjYq4z0qcENQnBHeU4S7N9ROzbp-dSaOLMxsiGhn63UqvbKOMqKKF_3sBb4sGvDqLawytxSBVuaWLxhv-CPV-KpdXqTovNco

Another nasty tackle a few weeks later by Orlando took down star Druissi in a NACL match, though “luckily” only for 2-3 weeks (which is 4-6 matches in this league).

r2zbqiXJMxZ3i_8jyLGFUM2EXBJhyVoTz1iY6sL4x116dkfMpBELCxJRbaZ1WFwDAHWRTUgkES2dOiOuso1Pm6lUs8qZkANHzyOb4WdFTqjfIcFJajECr7k0zf7cQ6TWwrW2k6r79yJj2BNS7CFazRU

The same game saw RB Lima forced off with a minor impact injury as well.

Another NACL match against MLS side Atlanta saw two starters get injured and require in game subs.

fu8k7aor4Z1okkFJ2koFXFBzRfE9SUaZsSl2-M-P9AfnDZGyexvV8xhFkKwR8si9u5sxcdpaMOA0AJXlivy5p3_-XDt3_mJuPoWfcOKBcvdKiHjAn77O1caR5ctwW5AODnBJNDck6j8PBWpmNBqIxvE

Of course, injuries are part of the game, and over a season injuries happen. Austin had been pretty lucky with injuries in 2024, so it makes sense that things would be worse in 2025.

Thing is - this all from the first two months of the season and all these examples came from in match tackles by MLS sides to first 11 players.

It wasn’t just the injuries either - Austin led the league with 15.6 fouls against per 90 - though it was very often much more than that, with 20+ fouls against not uncommon.

Austin don’t like it up ‘em to use and alter good old Sam Allerdyce’s quote.

Except, unlike late-Wenger Arsenal, Austin aren’t a side who could be dominated. Or rather, they had the physicality and mentality to hold their own in a dogfight.

[I say this as someone who became an Arsenal supporter in 2007/2008, preparing me nicely for the heartbreak of this season]

2HLBhIeB-4iYzAbxmD92g_fNi7m4QpgIaLqv80Innvo88KZiTNCsI7n5QMs0-JxgzAtebW_bRsb9Yd3W1v_aUwwgZ2-AWuX9T0EfrinrHGgjkwI7HjjOIU7IElYUs25u0Ka47WXQX5HRoJyqpuLVaCg

11 league games: 11 wins, 0 draws, 0 losses. 23 goals scored, 6 conceded, 8 clean sheets. Austin didn’t just refuse to lose, they refused to settle for anything less than 3 points. One caveat is that somehow 8 of the 11 matches were at home, but it was still an incredible run, and one that had put Austin into the record books. On the 4th of March they broke the MLS record of matches unbeaten at 34 to go an entire season’s worth of games without defeat…

zQ9D_4qLIsq0C-XokAf416LpGPQfaTS1VxsZwimGTBKaoaJe7MCtDLEWRkNOLL-y6dJNIDbtuUSejObjPNaBQvyaH2uhoJbm3rrElmR8oabTVcRY6-7St2Uh8UNszMI5vpyh3e8QNd-Sp6YXbXnHPUI

…then they kept going, ending April with the run at 44 MLS matches and still going.

Yet it was never easy. 

Austin’s three years of dominance meant that teams not only kicked them at every opportunity, they also sat back and refused to come forward and give Austin space. The Big Club Football (quicker tempo, higher lines, more pressing) tactic got a lot of effective use, but it seemed like every game was hard work. A few examples just to show how things went…

An early 3-2 win over Vancouver required a stoppage time goal from young forward Flores after Austin gave up a 2-0 lead in the final 20 minutes.

[Flores would go on to score against Chicago in his next appearance off the bench which, incredibly, brought him 2 goals from only 25 league minutes played! Unsurprisingly, he slowed down after that, but what a way to introduce himself.]

2st_7P3nGuqgoow6x1zmnR57f32Ju_hmpK4Kr2cypKLLye3vqudq_bO2tH0dsoiMNDFP76gt5L5WQjEkhK4HmECT7MP4KAswtsY1vxIx6Ku3svD5MS52DyETK7MCbRwdgp1QCDxuQys4Snw7vY87upY

Against Eastern Conference leading NY Red Bulls(h!t), Austin needed a fantastic penalty save from GK Sivera and an 84th minute Taylor Booth goal to win, despite dominating the vast majority of the match, scoring only once from an xG of 2.86.

1baZuqqE77vLbhEU-RSYsj-ePSRIDeZvnNE_O8xCMjqWl6JpmLv7w-P60jua3xg1FCtM3Dq5SKbWyHBmyfQ1fhE2qIDsB4wIZHa3jJLiJL-lBKNfRTyiwf32bzQ9tfyH5mpbLToZlylPIjm_shB6Mtk

Against Inter Miami, Austin labored to a 1-0 win and had to hold on with ten men when LB Bidu got sent off for a second yellow in the 74th minute.

1Vj4nXf2LViSrSmiMeNNOlyMG5NFKURVlQ31uNGaDs_Dd1B2utnGp7jSGz2hQP60y7-NBR0L6-cQLXKk5nX8Prsz9xGobACW7YDLDYoR8Yoe0OuwQGftzc3Puan3i4aHtylE2Kpxaeo5YMQw2Czg9uk

An absolutely wild 5-3 win over LAFC was remarkable for two things. First, Lindsay picked a completely rotated outfield 10 that still manged to win. Second, it featured a fantastic fight back from 2-0 down. After LAFC scored their second, only 21 minutes in, Lindsay instructed the team to go narrow to punch through the center of LAFC’s 4-4-2, and Austin scored 4 in the following 20 minutes to end the half with an incredible scoreline of 4-2.

6g-RA2e6ERPeUTvh8aEaSAzyH5PDBRsEewurl5bAjmqNDbVOARamWgkiZdUZy5IKlLgtBTxmG-5ijhh-EBto1fB9hsXkvaGmIV3c3CGbT6fuWOfTNb1PZRD6iq7GT-ppuSXgucT-lf4CBtkaIWU-YQA

The win over LAFC was indicative of what was so incredible about Austin’s run - it was powered in no small part by the “second” 11 as Austin again went deep in the NACL and Lindsay rotated heavily in the league. The LAFC win specifically featured summer acquisition Gioacchini playing exceptionally well, registering a hat trick of assists from the left wing.  He’d often featured there with drafted 20 year old forward Flores doing so well in the center.

It was also a wonderfully taken goal by 2nd choice RW Ben Bender that won the day against Miami, and 2nd choice BBM Booth who’s goal gave Austin 3 points against NY Red Bulls(h!t).

DqMHp6jD0KPi0xam6K9eVev9XiFuQEeD-kTTGa6MN55nIwjZcGqt6f_IOmCiUwo7kBClPzKk9WNqbERWn76_23A3h2KXxPKtmrr-j1CLnJtkziP3w9ztfy-IS4wRfmH9fBPNaSbMhJ9llBHHD3tErtUsOXyyG2mhX6sH3omCHpoyaW0i4wXhCrg3ozlAp6lm30jdpg_YcN-6aQLbTTDfwLzemQYc_90Px46BXPAUvDxR9qkHz-JKmqZIUlY2WsBGK3L3sV15FyPIgAeQXsXENpSxrERrDn1QQnIuAThZiSvFiw

With a 100% record it was no surprise that Austin were running away with the league. Houston, second place in both the Western Conference and the overall standings, were already 11 points back.  Eastern Conference leaders New York Red Bulls(h!t) were 12 back.

Knowing that he had such incredible depth meant Lindsay could keep his players fresh. Except that they kept getting injured…

2 hours ago, 13th Man said:

7FgHKyQiRCs-LY1mq_k1p-cW9WBXhJ1AJNdtlFrL7FP8dDre77VBsE4pD7cVNiREHOdiXDVl7_GGSvbwxgIKioDCmalo2iGh-XcLQpWZvhDTTLPUbAxYpVzSIMiDbq1Q6PF8iqd25mZ1z13QH9TzTVk

Austin don’t like it up ‘em

We use war metaphors constantly when taking sport. We use terms like squads, midfield battles, counter-attacks, bombarding the goal, etc etc. Yet in the 2025 season, this metaphor bent dangerously close to reality for Austin.

It seemed as though MLS teams had decided that if they couldn’t compete with Austin, they would just kick them instead. 

This meant injuries, so many injuries.

As mentioned in the last post, CM(a) Roldan was taken out with a crunching tackle only two games into the season, and would be out for 2-3 months.

wh3qVJZW1aGOEQ-efBHZJ3AyrMwSovfkCIDoNGJwCXVOzOoSgJhfckgyjYq4z0qcENQnBHeU4S7N9ROzbp-dSaOLMxsiGhn63UqvbKOMqKKF_3sBb4sGvDqLawytxSBVuaWLxhv-CPV-KpdXqTovNco

Another nasty tackle a few weeks later by Orlando took down star Druissi in a NACL match, though “luckily” only for 2-3 weeks (which is 4-6 matches in this league).

r2zbqiXJMxZ3i_8jyLGFUM2EXBJhyVoTz1iY6sL4x116dkfMpBELCxJRbaZ1WFwDAHWRTUgkES2dOiOuso1Pm6lUs8qZkANHzyOb4WdFTqjfIcFJajECr7k0zf7cQ6TWwrW2k6r79yJj2BNS7CFazRU

The same game saw RB Lima forced off with a minor impact injury as well.

Another NACL match against MLS side Atlanta saw two starters get injured and require in game subs.

fu8k7aor4Z1okkFJ2koFXFBzRfE9SUaZsSl2-M-P9AfnDZGyexvV8xhFkKwR8si9u5sxcdpaMOA0AJXlivy5p3_-XDt3_mJuPoWfcOKBcvdKiHjAn77O1caR5ctwW5AODnBJNDck6j8PBWpmNBqIxvE

Of course, injuries are part of the game, and over a season injuries happen. Austin had been pretty lucky with injuries in 2024, so it makes sense that things would be worse in 2025.

Thing is - this all from the first two months of the season and all these examples came from in match tackles by MLS sides to first 11 players.

It wasn’t just the injuries either - Austin led the league with 15.6 fouls against per 90 - though it was very often much more than that, with 20+ fouls against not uncommon.

Austin don’t like it up ‘em to use and alter good old Sam Allerdyce’s quote.

Except, unlike late-Wenger Arsenal, Austin aren’t a side who could be dominated. Or rather, they had the physicality and mentality to hold their own in a dogfight.

[I say this as someone who became an Arsenal supporter in 2007/2008, preparing me nicely for the heartbreak of this season]

2HLBhIeB-4iYzAbxmD92g_fNi7m4QpgIaLqv80Innvo88KZiTNCsI7n5QMs0-JxgzAtebW_bRsb9Yd3W1v_aUwwgZ2-AWuX9T0EfrinrHGgjkwI7HjjOIU7IElYUs25u0Ka47WXQX5HRoJyqpuLVaCg

11 league games: 11 wins, 0 draws, 0 losses. 23 goals scored, 6 conceded, 8 clean sheets. Austin didn’t just refuse to lose, they refused to settle for anything less than 3 points. One caveat is that somehow 8 of the 11 matches were at home, but it was still an incredible run, and one that had put Austin into the record books. On the 4th of March they broke the MLS record of matches unbeaten at 34 to go an entire season’s worth of games without defeat…

zQ9D_4qLIsq0C-XokAf416LpGPQfaTS1VxsZwimGTBKaoaJe7MCtDLEWRkNOLL-y6dJNIDbtuUSejObjPNaBQvyaH2uhoJbm3rrElmR8oabTVcRY6-7St2Uh8UNszMI5vpyh3e8QNd-Sp6YXbXnHPUI

…then they kept going, ending April with the run at 44 MLS matches and still going.

Yet it was never easy. 

Austin’s three years of dominance meant that teams not only kicked them at every opportunity, they also sat back and refused to come forward and give Austin space. The Big Club Football (quicker tempo, higher lines, more pressing) tactic got a lot of effective use, but it seemed like every game was hard work. A few examples just to show how things went…

An early 3-2 win over Vancouver required a stoppage time goal from young forward Flores after Austin gave up a 2-0 lead in the final 20 minutes.

[Flores would go on to score against Chicago in his next appearance off the bench which, incredibly, brought him 2 goals from only 25 league minutes played! Unsurprisingly, he slowed down after that, but what a way to introduce himself.]

2st_7P3nGuqgoow6x1zmnR57f32Ju_hmpK4Kr2cypKLLye3vqudq_bO2tH0dsoiMNDFP76gt5L5WQjEkhK4HmECT7MP4KAswtsY1vxIx6Ku3svD5MS52DyETK7MCbRwdgp1QCDxuQys4Snw7vY87upY

Against Eastern Conference leading NY Red Bulls(h!t), Austin needed a fantastic penalty save from GK Sivera and an 84th minute Taylor Booth goal to win, despite dominating the vast majority of the match, scoring only once from an xG of 2.86.

1baZuqqE77vLbhEU-RSYsj-ePSRIDeZvnNE_O8xCMjqWl6JpmLv7w-P60jua3xg1FCtM3Dq5SKbWyHBmyfQ1fhE2qIDsB4wIZHa3jJLiJL-lBKNfRTyiwf32bzQ9tfyH5mpbLToZlylPIjm_shB6Mtk

Against Inter Miami, Austin labored to a 1-0 win and had to hold on with ten men when LB Bidu got sent off for a second yellow in the 74th minute.

1Vj4nXf2LViSrSmiMeNNOlyMG5NFKURVlQ31uNGaDs_Dd1B2utnGp7jSGz2hQP60y7-NBR0L6-cQLXKk5nX8Prsz9xGobACW7YDLDYoR8Yoe0OuwQGftzc3Puan3i4aHtylE2Kpxaeo5YMQw2Czg9uk

An absolutely wild 5-3 win over LAFC was remarkable for two things. First, Lindsay picked a completely rotated outfield 10 that still manged to win. Second, it featured a fantastic fight back from 2-0 down. After LAFC scored their second, only 21 minutes in, Lindsay instructed the team to go narrow to punch through the center of LAFC’s 4-4-2, and Austin scored 4 in the following 20 minutes to end the half with an incredible scoreline of 4-2.

6g-RA2e6ERPeUTvh8aEaSAzyH5PDBRsEewurl5bAjmqNDbVOARamWgkiZdUZy5IKlLgtBTxmG-5ijhh-EBto1fB9hsXkvaGmIV3c3CGbT6fuWOfTNb1PZRD6iq7GT-ppuSXgucT-lf4CBtkaIWU-YQA

The win over LAFC was indicative of what was so incredible about Austin’s run - it was powered in no small part by the “second” 11 as Austin again went deep in the NACL and Lindsay rotated heavily in the league. The LAFC win specifically featured summer acquisition Gioacchini playing exceptionally well, registering a hat trick of assists from the left wing.  He’d often featured there with drafted 20 year old forward Flores doing so well in the center.

It was also a wonderfully taken goal by 2nd choice RW Ben Bender that won the day against Miami, and 2nd choice BBM Booth who’s goal gave Austin 3 points against NY Red Bulls(h!t).

DqMHp6jD0KPi0xam6K9eVev9XiFuQEeD-kTTGa6MN55nIwjZcGqt6f_IOmCiUwo7kBClPzKk9WNqbERWn76_23A3h2KXxPKtmrr-j1CLnJtkziP3w9ztfy-IS4wRfmH9fBPNaSbMhJ9llBHHD3tErtUsOXyyG2mhX6sH3omCHpoyaW0i4wXhCrg3ozlAp6lm30jdpg_YcN-6aQLbTTDfwLzemQYc_90Px46BXPAUvDxR9qkHz-JKmqZIUlY2WsBGK3L3sV15FyPIgAeQXsXENpSxrERrDn1QQnIuAThZiSvFiw

With a 100% record it was no surprise that Austin were running away with the league. Houston, second place in both the Western Conference and the overall standings, were already 11 points back.  Eastern Conference leaders New York Red Bulls(h!t) were 12 back.

Knowing that he had such incredible depth meant Lindsay could keep his players fresh. Except that they kept getting injured…

It doesn’t get any better than that level of form! I love when you hit a purple patch like this. You just can’t wait to turn the game on and play!

13 hours ago, keeper#1 said:

Excellent start. Hopefully the injured players can mesh back into the team once they get healthy. 

We’ll see. Or more could get injured!

16 hours ago, SixPointer said:

It doesn’t get any better than that level of form! I love when you hit a purple patch like this. You just can’t wait to turn the game on and play!

Been true! It’s been hard work considering the form, but that makes it more satisfying! It’s making me glad for my choice. Kind of a final reward for the seasons of work on the project.

11 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Very interesting, i should take a leaf out of this too

Ive been leaning more and more in this direction. I try to find ways to exploit certain weaknesses or counter strengths within the same system so only one or two parts change. I think familiarity is playing a bigger role these days (which is realistic) and training one shape, one main way of playing, and then using variations focused on your best, most intelligent players (while the others do their usual jobs) is really effective.

8 hours ago, 13th Man said:

ve been leaning more and more in this direction. I try to find ways to exploit certain weaknesses or counter strengths within the same system so only one or two parts change. I think familiarity is playing a bigger role these days (which is realistic) and training one shape, one main way of playing, and then using variations focused on your best, most intelligent players (while the others do their usual jobs) is really effective.

This is what I am trying to do in my save with less success.

PHIeUyE0PmXOXUoWaZlPkk7dt_toSI3-yoSymLe2418GigFHzDfnQsDlQfCn35iHuiOsuexM-eeJSer6OTSjCI0FFgxq7vxJsoQAxOGBYKV4YarUa0Hnld0sN4LDlJuymH_pO_c8DtW4gHXz2cdbId0

The harder they come 

skNUzvRxfk14bZZC6P1-x8Ghxx0_854aJEsrYze-gX3ielLouULli79auhi-gCc182GdFVv_Faf_kyhN6iQ9qxBZ9x-eqHeG4ox-DKo7tFPo-PUeQFNZC14eKZeKrhkHhiVz0VU2M89JrtjmNEKShgI

In the NACL, Austin managed to progress to a third consecutive final, disappointingly facing all MLS sides - other than a glorified friendly of a tie against El Salvadoran side Isido Metophan that ended in a 10-1 aggregate win. Austin then crushed Orlando City in a 2-1 aggregate win that had no business being as close as it was.

LL3kXqEkyVNjO5oEl1duaZKwNAZzdLbzJVeohTAFpPpy8W9JfELVhBrxesoWNVPrx8bAZpoVbU2bDkL9Pw9W8pZWsAsoAWIRbQDl8BmOjYZxT7ciNqAvjUPI1FsreDN70ZhFZn9KwuRsKzDaNrv8CJQ

9W6wfRHMVbyzn5twp4qp49UCw86Y33XylsXAEAhySYICkRYJa8wW8OKiaZSIedszTSZRkuPWVNi8bQnvp6O-srN4zcSOyniDeWkpe5og3nPoEjKcQ97TRPzoO6kX10uNocctz6x61teDk_z3aXzmACA

Orlando managed to create two good chances in their place and scored once, but the fact that Austin only won by one at home had everything to do with their poor finishing - managing just one goal from an xG of 2.57, though it was also one of those matches with a lot of low quality chances.

In the next round, Wayne Rooney’s DC United gave Austin everything they could handle across two legs.

-ZLeQtSXJOh31pWh1LNmMW7A9jUV4HaOPFEa2onFvbBDkyGzvkS_Z-k8mWwGkhQW09FNh9jQNnMxkvOdpAIcmOYqKXhFjWT8bKV25srQxLvuEu61fBXIEL2-HbtRHrnjBCFziCsVvUbGVMYjKAsF1bA

A ridiculous first ten minutes in Washington DC saw three goals scored to make it 2-1 to DC. Austin would later equalize and take the lead, before DC had the last say. In the end, Austin escaped with a draw, with DC looking far better in the second half.   Also - six total goals from a combined xG of less than 2.5!!!

2KXLNd3Xb0lLGB5oX30qrkRSjIu2YBsBfQI_EOjsil_DzzEMZ0-QomOeqnHn1ZvxWNPkqWVU-yEkeVK-SILIerU0M3knf1rMxZWAucBGx47rN1b5btEM5ieKylczC2mBKnWfiogSr6kPvy8VE2rubT4

Back home, with 3 away goals, Austin were able to control the tie. They took the lead in the 20th minute, but squandered it with a poor piece of defending just before the half. DC United were even starting to look the more dangerous side, but then Lindsay switched to the Ace in the Hole WB/IF combination on the left and Gioacchini scored a beautiful goal from the left IF(a) position.

4NQnIItDPknJ2LkomWEkqdU-PdvrxihP-OT0fQdJrMfSos9d7sG3jpsK_mQIDSLfU9DOxh497upqHclHNzN0BZry46xHYiliiOkQHnldhGyEIegy8cS2VPfXsEXhOisMSeuYlajd-owWoz5osRlCoUE

Then came Austin’s third consecutive NACL final where they faced Atlanta. Their league form was poor, but they had beaten two excellent Liga MX sides in Atlas and Monterrey on their way to the final. 

uOkIpl_yEo02yBCFmo-PNbygUGz3OwRBwAuseMaopx8pOE3UnS9_xexxHMe5T9yGkT6T-jbWNgdbX3C1jNkVx3e5MGblXNsxFSUbTBRYOlK4uiRYzubXLnZ3njwbUbgby0ce4OhG0dXtgV_tB2OCEu0

It would not be three in a row for Austin, as they lost on penalties with Ben Bender skying his, while Atlanta went 5 for 5. For the first time in three years, Austin lost in a knockout round of the NACL. The match was not worth much of a write up. Atlanta parked the bus and Austin weren’t able to break them down. Austin absolutely controlled the game, and they had their chances, but couldn’t convert and it had to be said that none of those chances were easy.

46q_P7uWGTbDOdyjWWWUjPwez2w3Kz6dZgAF5ox2RariV8YB1sOLLHWEMwFTx3uxantefFdYqbfDEKLkpjmnh8M-QrJJT-G9ZgXabvL6ha2K0xisQ4w5agKPNbmFKYr_cI-0xjTqBKbTn1UaBohxzEs

Lindsay couldn’t blame another manager for playing defensively, but what he didn’t appreciate was the way Atlanta set out to foul and injure Austin. In the first half Austin lost CF Garcia, in the second they lost RW Rigoni (who would be out for 2-3 months). They fouled at a rate of nearly twice that of Austin until Lindsay told his players to get stuck in too as it seemed the ref was only penalizing horror tackles. Still Atlanta ended the match with 28 fouls, and six yellow cards, but only had a player sent off in the 107th minute.

Yet was that on the ref or Atlanta’s manager?

Either way it was sour grapes to be sure. Lindsay didn’t blame the loss on the persistent fouling. Just like in the 2023 Western Conference final against Colorado, Austin weren't sharp enough on the day, and it was as simple as that. Losing Rigoni for months was a massive disappointment however, and that was what left the bitterest taste in Lindsay’s mouth.

Edited by 13th Man

Disgraceful behaviour from Atlanta.  They should retroactively ban them from the competition and instill Austin as champions.

The injuries are starting to pile up.  How does this impact roster sizes?  Are there any mechanisms for registering players temporarily, or are you stuck with barebones?

8 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Oh man, bad luck there in the final, especially after that epic match up against DC United! 

Pretty rough. Knowing that Austin had won the last two definitely made the bitter pull easier to swallow.

31 minutes ago, GIMN said:

Disgraceful behaviour from Atlanta.  They should retroactively ban them from the competition and instill Austin as champions.

I couldn’t agree more! Glad you agree it’s not just sour grapes.

33 minutes ago, GIMN said:

The injuries are starting to pile up.  How does this impact roster sizes?  Are there any mechanisms for registering players temporarily, or are you stuck with barebones?

In the MLS you can put people on “injured reserve” - their wages still count against the salary cap, but it does open a roster spot. Austin have 27 players registered (max 30) so it’s not a huge deal there, but for international players it would make some sense to put them on reserve so that another international could be brought in on loan. Why am I thinking that specifically…could it be more injuries on the horizon?

GujOpJT7ghe2glneOR8tO2Jp1J2VBm5URIGZlvErU3fvqZ48dzsRdIo4fIwwKBLpEzBBym8Amg4ILbsv5wHSMpxstARfJXyIY69WMw5aCDrR-3HpnoLPzIOZDIr7eaesD1LViBh78zJOr6t-dx1TL9E

More of the same please, thank you

28 May, 2025

Austin 0 - DC United 0

92nd minute

Time is running out on Austin’s consecutive wins streak, but still they build from the back. Is there still another attack left in Austin? Another turn in this game which has seen both keepers save a penalty?

[BBM] Leyva with a crisp pass to [CF] Flores who is dropping deep. Flores sends it around the corner first time to [LW] Druissi. [LB] Bidu charges wide on the overlap, Druissi sends it into the space in front of him. Bidu has acres of space. He cuts in towards the top of the box. He looks up…Flores making a run…

FLORES!!!! IN THE 92ND MINUTE!!!! That’s another stoppage time winner for Austin’s first round draft pick! 

Like a natural forward, he simply sprinted towards goal the second he laid the ball off, and his run is rewarded. Bidu’s pass to the near post was weighted perfectly, but Flores still had plenty to do. His side footed effort was the perfect combination of power and placement to give the keeper no chance!

The Q2 here in Austin is rocking again! They truly refuse to do anything but win this season!

j2Ae7Wwj768TbDC6XqN2_n-pmEwthmvXgHbHK1pYsA2gkH3es9LnOncnfvgQvvpzx2k1--X5qdriMRAVOGMtsRNq6eEk1gbqi-vlkCypdtfaj5bWN7I8yU2kDi9y7yFcQIKKJ69EyaJ2FAbLrieoY_Y

1 June, 2025

Orlando 1 - Austin 0

93nd minute

If you are joining us for bonus MLS coverage, you have tuned in for what is surely the end of Austin’s winning run. We’re three into the five minutes of added time and Austin are trailing a goal to nil. They’ve dominated this match from start to finish, but simply can’t find a way to put the ball in the net. Orlando, on the other hand, scored from their one shot on target - a lazily looping header from a set piece that Sivera could only deflect into the roof of his net.

Austin with a promising move…cleared, but [CB] Carlos wins the header for Austin, nodding it down to his partner Ditta. He pauses, finds [CM(a)] Arouch, outside to RW Bender. Bender is in space…he sends an inswinging cross in…

FLORES!!!!! HE’S DONE IT AGAIN!!!! FLORES IN STOPPAGE TIME!!!

What a goal! The young man made it look so easy! He redirected that inswinging cross perfectly into the far corner and Austin are level! Surely their winning run is over, but it looks like they’ve just saved their unbeaten record.

96th minute

Orlando 1 - Austin 1

We’re approaching the final whistle here, but Austin are trying to launch one final attack here down the left. Venegas…sends the ball wide to [LW] Gioacchini…he cuts into the box…sends a hard pass in..

FLORES…but he’s taken down…NO ITS BENDER AT THE FAR POST FOR A TAP IN!!!! 

AUSTIN HAVE WON IT! DOWN 1-0 THREE MINUTES INTO ADDED TIME, AUSTIN HAVE MANAGED TO WIN HERE IN ORLANDO!!!!

It looked a sure penalty on Flores, only the ball zipped free to Bender to render it moot. What a game!!! What an incredible run by Austin FC!!! In a league known for its parity, there is simply no team that can match Austin!

fN6i5_NfxkUj4w5UKBTZMm__DE4AyEXyYmUarzGqlFEZJDAoIXa-RfG4w-9vWwi8ktkRblrlxR_hNeDA4nNNgLVeCKZbqn_U5eBlrz5nXfT_aWNJkUH5aG0e-G2hlOJ1UA-NxbuonIxd2cruHSjshoE

On the other side, there was also more of the same with injuries…

7YHVnpg2DF9bdwVoa2blmF5iqZWF83wHwqfsiwOy3T8_aJ5M8z3iMFc4oC7ocRJ-UVcT8qerL68UDeeQy3Eynnc_lf3ePGgDHRCVfne1jxt4hR7ekh7VAZGK9zliDKDFOrmuvL4lJ8Rbadd_JvQOuCA

21 year old promising RB Ataide tore his ACL in early May and would miss the rest of the season [goes through November]. This was a massive blow to Austin’s depth at RB, and unlucky for a player who had been making excellent, steady progress.

Lindsay was lucky he’d signed Taylor Booth, who had slotted in as the second choice BBM, but who would now play at RB a great deal. He had decent midfield depth, but it would also put more pressure on BBM Leyva, who was without a set backup.

But Austin kept winning.

FCbb2wizkRYdVbHbDbdmkroJXJGS1MB3HIKiY-81QzHiQuoGyJSuFm0rbbHrHq7wCEYdVkS5__ijmWiCgd8h5NorteVFWoJJG2M9fTtXBj9pMvhIa5fvPP8AXv4NS8-IQogHMhLI4MSrbSMTM1Lf0w4

Unlike the previous two months, there were easy wins in there. A 4-1 demolition of previously second place Houston sent their Texas rivals into a downwards spiral that would see them gain only 5 points in 11 matches. Austin destroyed LAFC 5-0 and previously tricky Colorado were swatted away 3-0 in consecutive away matches. That win over Colorado just so happened to earn Austin the record for most consecutive wins in the MLS’s short history with 16.

quvoF4Gn0eE67sVHvbWTELLY1IeuaZ23ACGbzHVPW7FG-dnDKE82m3JMcw0ReQ88oM7n1kIUDLyya9eE2RAde0GK7eD46Bs6etwqMGZ2Vc4e1AW4Sxi2fLuOWkWu7NFHi2UmFwMGNAr361Z4QVtYOUk

Then they just kept going. As Austin’s attention turned to the Club World Cup, they managed to remain perfect in the league with 23 wins in a row. They even won the last game 4-3 even without BBM Leyva (US u21s) and GK Sivera, the latter of which had impressed enough to be called up to the Spanish national team. 

KYv1tSqVxmyJf2sBCqfhxA3uYbBZHOK6O8rb0autrca90G0Tv6MrAaV1k2NxRFL0sgpqZz1c9n3b2JBupNs6OpCegfltFFu--FE3xpvOzM1b5nd_rBgXYih-URIpNnWZytPmOo3CN6G5gq9aYlm5vWgglD8AzgukCuQQHNYgkG1gbPp4GBwKr-uZV0Ww27WGYchMz7BkEjt-xkozPdo-tLr_oWkYBVrwnMrtQBYhlziAjuRIUcszDURhZ1W5zJNygIOkz8QrNQcSQVGGCpPAXkJJ4plIQy9x35t5PLaY5dKSeI

Austin were now 20 points ahead of second place Colorado, with a goal difference of 36 (47 goals and 11 against) in 20 matches. Austin simply looked like a plotting error.

gDIYWFLHbEl9Y8PEY3gxn-JksywGZroYysak2FgkUwflU_AnrTZRnEiJ825i8fng_lWpNZvTJCmntoRX0r8THAQNtE0MLXazpg1HolLCTIDZdRNw2WJT1Rp23lzPR7sMTB9KYua7ThdczDZSdOyN3GA

Next best attack Colorado had 33 goals (14 fewer), and second best defense in Philadelphia had conceded 17 (6 more)

With 14 matches left in the season, with a record run of both victories and games without defeat, Austin now had record wins (23) and points (79) in a season firmly in their sights.

yR4ciAXfsiw1t7yVrfwGonCG-qy_VQFkFo7tUphkJivYnMGWqKFK2VYD8WiRoYzUpbYX9epGVnLYXeuYiiB57xB8emPsgMvKbI7dlTaeV8MrkBzpV6ptSWR5d23osgh50swUpqt4O75QA7O95bGLO0w

Now Austin traveled to Italy for the Club World Cup, where they were drawn against Egyptian side Al-Ahly and Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City. Austin had very little chance to progress out of the three team group. Lindsay had no expectations to beat City, so their only chance was to somehow draw and beat Al-Ahly by more than City. Even that scenario was far fetched, and all Lindsay wanted was to be competitive in that match and hopefully beat Al-Ahly to go home with heads held high.

Edited by 13th Man

1 hour ago, keeper#1 said:

Regular season winning streaks are meaningless in US sports.  Ask the 1979-80 Flyers, the team went unbeaten for 35 games.  Lost in the Stanley Cup Final.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-greatest-moments-philadelphia-flyers-35-game-undefeated-streak/c-292371392

This is 100% true (if stupid). I vividly remember the Patriots going undefeated until the Super Bowl. It does matter to Lindsay, though, as he’s looking to impress European clubs, and three straight League wins is a good look. Plus, there’s something magical about winning streaks. They do have the Flyers beat for undefeated games though, with the run currently at 53 (I think).

Have a bad feeling Austin will end up like that Patriot team though, or worse. 

55 minutes ago, Hootieleece said:

How do you get that Scisports screenshot?

Impressive Form in the Regular Season, but like @keeper#1 says only playoffs and Championships count!

I’m using @GIMN’s Munsterman excellent graphical skin. I came for the graphical attributes (there are also numerical versions) and am loving his for his constantly improving graphics in general. Tye screenshot is just the default post match screen.

Edited by 13th Man

xQWNtn87w9rupp4mkuConmemXOknQfo3V8BV1QRgJGK1aBN1g-4m0FMm1l_AsIJkew63gGJlslCPXKjnMltVvOB6QfMt3LjJjtf_qWRL41etswk6K-DGZy2DZ2sDJO3kChnBYvu4mnomDd3pprnH9jA

Club World Cup

rgPVHIaY1dzJQ1GeUn3uOrhm66jnOZtwqz6STQSZCEs9Mr_PPQWCXrd308ypThgFW1v-ojiZNfUv0Z4AlJoX07d9XwxrJxgRkgnb60AEHaAemzZJMV0XeDAvlsSJU9IaClkGyBmRFTN4pIXTzOQWJUg

There was definitely something different about Pep Guardiola’s post match handshake. Before the match, he’d been perfectly polite. He’d even said something about Austin’s record breaking league run before heading to his technical area. But Lindsay knew he was just going through the motions, that Pep just wanted to be done with this silly competition and get on with the important stuff. He seemed somehow both relaxed and annoyed that he was forced to play some American team.

After the match though, Pep’s eyes weren’t looking beyond Lindsay in the same way. He wasn’t just going through the motions anymore. When he shook Lindsay’s hand Pep looked him right in the eyes for a brief but intense moment and gave a nod that meant something even if Lindsay wasn’t sure exactly what. Pep gave him a firm pat on the arm. Lindsay nodded back and went to go applaud his team.

They’d lost, of course, but only 2-1 and they’d given more than a good account of themselves against one of the best clubs in the world.

fHbIgFEAONvI9m3-khhKgR_DWcoN79hBkGJus5h9t3voMAoqa4sySHumUnChUFdRnvb1rABSJBCzQmeuqqGi6pC2wWmjXFWRbNEVsYeXziqjPeazgaI4Hs4pcsPeA_b3bL91NDw7pzDbfBGubsB-DlI

Yes, City had done to Austin what Austin usually did to other teams. City had the better of possession and were impressive in their sleek passing and their ability to get to those second balls with urgency. City were just simply quicker - physically, mentally, everything. 

Yet there was no shame in Austin’s performance. With their entire wage budget only as big as one City player’s annual income, Austin gave City a decent match. Both City’s goals were moments of pure quality, the first a glorious team move finished by Toni Kroos, the second an incredible pass and even better finish by Ansu Fati. Austin didn’t allow any easy chances, with City taking a lot of low quality shots, and Austin managed a few chances of their own. 

More impressively, Austin didn’t do it by parking the bus. They played a bit more conservative than normal, with no counter-press and they kept things tight in the center by forcing City outside, but otherwise they played their usual Coiled Spring tactic and had some decent success passing the ball.

In fact, the margins were incredibly slim. Druissi had the ball in City’s net with a thunderous finish after 13 minutes, only to have the goal ruled offside by a hair. The call was correct, but so very, very tight. Inches.

In the 30th minute, CM(a) Arouch had a very nice chance at the top of the box only to blaze just over the bar.

Ansu Fati’s 69th minute goal, on the other hand, was both an incredible piece of skill, and just as fractionally onside as Druissi’s was off.

An inch or two one way and it would have been 1-1 instead of 2-0.

As it was, Roldan’s stoppage time goal was nothing more than a consolation, but the counter was beautifully worked and precise in its movement and passing, and Roldan’s tap in was fully deserved.

So Pep’s post match handshake meant something to Lindsay. Where Pep had viewed him at first as merely a fellow professional, at the end the handshake was one of peer to peer. Lindsay had a long way to go before he could be considered an equal, but he could take pride in the fact that he’d managed to play his own game, against City, and come away with dignity intact.

And that was something.

CGTC8TUrTpqiMpmsRiBIGpNqnPy56h8bZYm-y9TEDnJChM4kUn_Mze8BI5juPKYpCuBAz83r5kszfdwsAjMd7zMCOdJybdtEF5uxP9D12_zPtex5AATn6gNm5WMeOoZEhwni6H5D4LyBFHKnprO_8vA

Though already eliminated after City also defeated Egyptian Al-Ahly, Lindsay still wanted to leave Italy with a win - and he left with an emphatic victory. They obliterated the hapless Egyptian side 6-0 with PF Garcia scoring 5 goals in the first half. In fact, Austin had beaten Al-Ahly by two goals more than City had scored!

It was a match that made Lindsay wish there was a best of the rest competition without the European clubs.

UZHCui4NPOagZjUNrXggidQADK72L1XEI1ZYP8Hi8wkspEqat-sZqbt6pD6TCGKv1zbmc_bd9aAwK6htG9d9KrW4n--7gpAyuxzOMwD_MPO_UR4KR6xcQZ51PHdCMGJJ0ZaAd52mftj3jPA8ZF8rLOE

-tVpSoiOO1QN7SjqESQSzKf0EzQP2PDTpnjGfHiyoxI7IyZpGUEJLHzS8hxWleqPxxTwQrob28aBZWKMmARVN7h6xyHNrVv1V0mj_FQThY5epW35BNF_1aklAVQRVWKodDm9nGvFfmT7fevsErydjm0

Quick aside…

I’m not normally one to write up in game events not directly related to the story, but I noticed Aston Villa were playing in the Club World Cup and was curious. Turns out they won the 2025 Champions League, beating Real Madrid 3-1 in the final.

9qHX31oT9HxylUZGZs7rqbBHdt6K0sHEyrUfotKONVeYyM6gsHSBgylHJoTR_GexlMNet59WX9yac4HbZBLa-n2Kg_JU86y-gWDg1ahVBjYaIH53rPeVn-8lcdURhtRTb4kquYfWTdkTrmqyAyaHYdQ

wKPhgb9VYme8Dl74n4iW3IPN_vnr5O67FAlSiRzebfWZb1MhejNfqSuwK1gk0EroU9PyBMOEzX6CE6MrAyBtt9LUhltjNv8xsOOZ7-kVQKzk_rXusuhP7lOUZNRydmLBl6q6Hh4_OZEgOguNtwfThFg

It was a lucky path they took, with them avoiding any European powerhouses until the final, but still!

Edited by 13th Man

xQWNtn87w9rupp4mkuConmemXOknQfo3V8BV1QRgJGK1aBN1g-4m0FMm1l_AsIJkew63gGJlslCPXKjnMltVvOB6QfMt3LjJjtf_qWRL41etswk6K-DGZy2DZ2sDJO3kChnBYvu4mnomDd3pprnH9jA

An Eventful Weekend

_tZsPjJYoTCuod1tYvBuEKwzY6KmltFeUCiPYxMxZ99xj83AnUPxlLuCO3AM661bc9-w5OZygouvO_fFbgL01TviFwjATJmCXr-H7bXPOQDuO4CCUAjZtJumtCuivf1D2jLyoWen6C3AGdRifqAKIfI

Austin’s league form continued through July where they, once again, when 5 for 5. The winning streak stood at 28 league matches, and they were undefeated in 58 matches.

After getting to skip the Leagues Cup group stage, they faced Liga MX champions Tigres and lost a close game that they really should have won.  It would mean less matches, though, and that was nice.

The following weekend, however, Austin’s winning streak finally came to an end.

Spoiler

DCRVMELnGHj0csvyx3eNMgZyiBoVQMkCsjN39e2gx8hPq7HPDubvcBoVlgp5l-scU6hWvoQoB4vfO59ktzEkm-KxP578ZhPKwuweK9daM4955fYxTZqioHHPRd9aVkupBdUj0jAGaLM06mooY26frys

Again, Austin were the better team for the majority of the match, but Real Salt Lake fought hard and earned a point.  There were no stoppage time heroics this time from forward Flores.

However…

nEIP7XW683Hf5-CeazKYbOQuVw174cOvyeT3ULE6nPjIHgz9U8Q0VAC5j_zRnKFi939Vc7GaHoh1awVkyknCAMNGOxIK7LEInjW36kxOWPfoQt4wj_kxJsiF1O_F6aKBlgYGc11WSDocPZqfKIo0AU0

That solitary point was enough to guarantee Austin retained the Supporter’s Shield (League Title) with eight matches remaining in the season.

STD89TmGUg4tiR9XjbgOQpu1JE33ApigB98nXozqXPj5oGpDypaGc0_B4BaChFyjXN-lpZrLaQOgO33tDivy_WdSKjKxxmn6sZIPFwAcWZEiiafBf76iGU6ftjE4ATRHBxtp6_kNHLvjuKVdQzwBtukxLUDcD0k7gn_zqo0M1O53q-6qDHGpuy-aEHCUog47Q-K8KMFLFhnIB4UCdGdfTFMAC5ZkUMPSu-fqMJToc47_zAK5ScgFM_yMuputqB8LnOt6i5lKJHWRW0IrsjNaD0H2cMbtkz3KfS_uvg6uWn6Oz0

They were a win and a draw from bettering the record MLS points haul (79), two wins away from the record for the most wins in a season (26).  With eight matches to go, you’d bet on Austin easily attaining both.

You’ve got mail

Only Lindsay got an email the very next day with an offer that he simply couldn’t refuse.

G6UMUuew_O4EcP9WjifgxRD09tMNsIniTQE3pcihSoEg6wjKQ3bmt2vr08OU1FZJ-o0iAJaS7wl3FGReejJODFg2vSYxVPb5_3wnKP-2L6nI-2hWNzDxZQ2kHorwZpAfTxuARNOSxL-bUPk1y_ab-S8

VD73NCh25V_krrHheCRmeZF722E-_8SvgSqAdDd9G5d6bOHUwMdJIgtdeT2BGaNz3_YanTMz63nT6YYBVGamuunY2SIwAus6dB00c1Y1fGO9vyDQLf35ZKgHV8T2OJgFTe65XtX-pQTSvBQUvwNUWf4

Lindsay was hired to manage the US men’s national team.  He’d applied to the position before the last manager was hired, but hadn’t gotten much traction.  This time, the US setup came directly to him and offered the job.

This had never been in the plans, but the job offered the perfect opportunity to raise his reputation - the 2026 World Cup, which would be hosted in the US, as well as Mexico and Canada.  Lindsay did not intend to stay on as manager past the tournament the following summer, but the chance to manage a nation that was hosting a World Cup was an opportunity that he could not turn down.

Lindsay had a decision to make, however - would he stay on as Austin manager until the end of the season?  The MLS does not take international breaks, so there would be two conflicting match days.  However, with the Supporter’s Shield wrapped up, those weren’t exactly important matches for Austin.

[There is, however, the realism element - no one has ever managed club and country to my knowledge.  Though it might be more acceptable in this specific case if he were to resign from Austin at the end of the season?]

Edited by 13th Man

A good run in the 2026 World Cup should be enough of a reputation boost to get you that job in Europe which you've been looking for.

I'd resign for Austin at the end of the season.  I'm sure, in real life, that the USMNT and Austin would be able to come to some sort of managing agreement.

It's rare, but it has happened before. Ferguson managed Aberdeen and Scotland at the same time. Guus Hiddink did as well with PSV and Australia. He also did with Russia, I think too.

There have been others, but they also had international breaks built into their schedule.

Thanks @keeper#1@Hootieleece, @karanhsingh . Lindsay will be staying on as Austin manager until the end of the season and then resign. It might have been different if Austin hadn’t already won the league, but with that trophy wrapped up, he can miss a match or two.

21 hours ago, cerud said:

Ferguson managed Aberdeen and Scotland at the same time. Guus Hiddink did as well with PSV and Australia. He also did with Russia, I think too.

I remember Guus now that you mention it, though Ferguson was before my time. Definitely don’t think it works long term with MLS not taking breaks, but he can finish out the season.

4 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Thanks @keeper#1@Hootieleece, @karanhsingh . Lindsay will be staying on as Austin manager until the end of the season and then resign. It might have been different if Austin hadn’t already won the league, but with that trophy wrapped up, he can miss a match or two.

I remember Guus now that you mention it, though Ferguson was before my time. Definitely don’t think it works long term with MLS not taking breaks, but he can finish out the season.

Yeah, without international breaks, it doesn't work.

image.png.12aa8b33aef137509bc594064a8ae678.png

A Study of Soccer Strategies and Systems in the States

The United States of America. The land of the free, home of the brave. 

We are winners and innovators. We win at everything and always have. When we decided to be a country, we invented democracy and kicked the British out. We did it without help, armed only with our bravery, determination, and grit…and arms, supplies, and naval support from the French.

We were winning from the start and we haven’t stopped since.  We won two world wars, saved the world from Communism, and all the while created an economic empire the likes of which the world has never seen.  We win at the Olympics [if we don’t, someone else is cheating, looking at you historical USSR and current PRC], we win all the Super Bowls, World Serieses, NBA Championships, and Stanley Cups - except when we let little brother Canada win a championship here and there to make him feel good and keep playing with us.

We, as a nation, refuse to lose.  We are simply the best at everything important.  Including ignoring inconvenient facts. Facts like: 

The US Men’s National Team is garbage (rubbish).

This is absolutely an exaggeration - the US men’s national team [USMNT for…um…short?] is, as of this writing, ranked 13th in the world, so sit firmly in the second tier of national teams.  With that in mind, the USA is not actually garbage. As a nation tending to sit somewhere between 10-20th in the world, progressing out of the group stage of the World Cup and being eliminated in the first round is exactly where they should be.

But Americans aren’t used to being merely good at things, so that means that we are terrible. We think we should do better, and we should, to be fair. Even if our best athletes tend to go for American football or basketball, we still have a huge football playing population and a ton of resources. 

We should be better than we are. 

More than ever, the US has solid players who ply their trade in Europe’s best leagues, though none of them can be considered top players on top teams.  USA’s star Christian Pulisic - horribly dubbed the Lebron James of ‘soccer’ - is a bit part player at Chelsea and our other most successful player, Weston McKennie’s time at Juventus seems to be at an end as he finishes off a disappointing loan spell at the surprisingly American Leeds United [who have even more Americans in the Born to Run timeline as Marsch lasted longer there in game]. 

In the real life 2022 WC group stage, USA frustrated England in a 0-0 draw, were frustrated by Whales in a 1-1 draw, and beat an Iran side that they should be beating 1-0.  Their limitations, however, were exposed in a 3-1 loss to the Netherlands where the stats were all in the USA’s favor.  The US enjoyed 59% of the possession, and had more shots on target and completed 150 more passes than their Dutch opponents.  It was, however, a classic case of the stats not telling the whole story. 

Watching the game, the US never looked like they were going to win.  They kept the ball, they pressed, but none of it felt purposeful.  The Dutch, on the other hand, had a plan.  They let the Americans have the ball, but they did not allow them into dangerous areas.  The Dutch marked America’s midfield three, knowing that none of them had the technical ability to break the press with passing or movement.  They forced America wide, cut the pitch in half, and took the space away that the wide players needed to thrive.

The Dutch knew that America’s strength was in their work ethic and pressing, so the Dutch neutralized that by playing on the counter.  They kept their shape and forced the  Americans to find a way through. Neither manager Berhalter nor the American players on the pitch had the tactical or technical ability to adjust.

When the Dutch got the ball the contrast between the class of each side was easy to see.  The Dutch counters were precise, the movement excellent, and they knew exactly what they were doing.  The US players worked hard…and that’s most of what they did.  They felt as if they were in control of the game, evidenced by reactions like captain Tyler Adams’ post match press conference when he insisted that the USA were better than the scoreline indicated.  He has a point, but the fact remains that the US were thoroughly defeated tactically and seemed to mistake possession and shots for control.

The US has improved in a lot of ways.  We’ve developed into a more possession based side and can press really well on the whole and frustrate the opposition.  Managers like Berhalter and his rumored real life replacement Jesse Marsch, however, mistake possession and pressing alone as elite level football when really all of it has to serve a purpose.  It has to be backed up by player roles and have a clear, cohesive shape and philosophy to attack and defend with.  

“Keeping the ball” and “press high and hard” are not philosophies, they are instructions.  Without more, there is no direction.

In America, we often mistake hard work as a virtue in and of itself.  People brag about their ‘grindset’.  They brag about how busy they are.  The national myth is that of the poor man who takes on four jobs, supports his family, and works his way up to a CEO through simple hard work, determination, and focus. We see ourselves as a meritocracy which sees hard work rewarded and sloth punished (obviously, this is not wrong but it’s also not accurate). That’s why we’ve adopted the Red Bull style of football - press and run!  Go! Go! Go!

Against top level opposition, however, hard work, physical fitness, and determination aren’t enough.  That’s why Jesse Marsch’s NY Red Bulls won several Supporter’s Shield (regular season) titles but not the MLS Cup, never making the final. They’d face other top teams with better tactical players and lose.  That’s why his tenures at RB Leipzig and Leeds United ended in failure. At RB Salzburg he had, by far, the best side in Austria and could dominate teams.

Good, technical and tactical sides, however, know how to adjust and play around a press. Top possession sides will tear through headless chicken pressing. Defensive minded teams know how to absorb pressure, let you exhaust yourself and hit you on the counter.  When your plan is just to work harder than the opposition, and the other team has a real, specific plan and the talent and ability to follow that plan, you will lose.

In the Born to Run preamble, I described the American way of playing as See What Happens football.  As much as the US has progressed past the simple kick and run, it has now turned into press and pass and see what happens.  Our fundamental philosophy has not changed in that we…don’t have one.

This is the challenge before Lindsay. He inherits a solid core of players who have a lot of international experience and are at or around their peak years. Most of them play in Europe and many in the big 5 countries. They are industrious, aggressive, and, as a team, more comfortable with the ball at their feet than just about any USA side in history.

American players have been progressing, but the philosophy hasn’t.

What they lack is creativity, flair, and finishing ability and that is the challenge ahead of Lindsay. With limited play making abilities, he needs the system to be the playmaker. He needs to create a set of roles and movement that will take advantage of each individual's traits, as well as the collective work ethic, to create a cohesive philosophy. That's something the USMNT simply hasn't had.

• 13th Man changed the title to [FM 23] Born to Run - A Journeyman's (very long) Escape from America - Austin FC + USMNT
On 10/05/2023 at 22:58, cerud said:

It's rare, but it has happened before. Ferguson managed Aberdeen and Scotland at the same time. Guus Hiddink did as well with PSV and Australia. He also did with Russia, I think too.

There have been others, but they also had international breaks built into their schedule.

Oh really!? Did not know that about Fergie 

10 hours ago, 13th Man said:

image.png.12aa8b33aef137509bc594064a8ae678.png

A Study of Soccer Strategies and Systems in the States

The United States of America. The land of the free, home of the brave. 

We are winners and innovators. We win at everything and always have. When we decided to be a country, we invented democracy and kicked the British out. We did it without help, armed only with our bravery, determination, and grit…and arms, supplies, and naval support from the French.

We were winning from the start and we haven’t stopped since.  We won two world wars, saved the world from Communism, and all the while created an economic empire the likes of which the world has never seen.  We win at the Olympics [if we don’t, someone else is cheating, looking at you historical USSR and current PRC], we win all the Super Bowls, World Serieses, NBA Championships, and Stanley Cups - except when we let little brother Canada win a championship here and there to make him feel good and keep playing with us.

We, as a nation, refuse to lose.  We are simply the best at everything important.  Including ignoring inconvenient facts. Facts like: 

The US Men’s National Team is garbage (rubbish).

This is absolutely an exaggeration - the US men’s national team [USMNT for…um…short?] is, as of this writing, ranked 13th in the world, so sit firmly in the second tier of national teams.  With that in mind, the USA is not actually garbage. As a nation tending to sit somewhere between 10-20th in the world, progressing out of the group stage of the World Cup and being eliminated in the first round is exactly where they should be.

But Americans aren’t used to being merely good at things, so that means that we are terrible. We think we should do better, and we should, to be fair. Even if our best athletes tend to go for American football or basketball, we still have a huge football playing population and a ton of resources. 

We should be better than we are. 

More than ever, the US has solid players who ply their trade in Europe’s best leagues, though none of them can be considered top players on top teams.  USA’s star Christian Pulisic - horribly dubbed the Lebron James of ‘soccer’ - is a bit part player at Chelsea and our other most successful player, Weston McKennie’s time at Juventus seems to be at an end as he finishes off a disappointing loan spell at the surprisingly American Leeds United [who have even more Americans in the Born to Run timeline as Marsch lasted longer there in game]. 

In the real life 2022 WC group stage, USA frustrated England in a 0-0 draw, were frustrated by Whales in a 1-1 draw, and beat an Iran side that they should be beating 1-0.  Their limitations, however, were exposed in a 3-1 loss to the Netherlands where the stats were all in the USA’s favor.  The US enjoyed 59% of the possession, and had more shots on target and completed 150 more passes than their Dutch opponents.  It was, however, a classic case of the stats not telling the whole story. 

Watching the game, the US never looked like they were going to win.  They kept the ball, they pressed, but none of it felt purposeful.  The Dutch, on the other hand, had a plan.  They let the Americans have the ball, but they did not allow them into dangerous areas.  The Dutch marked America’s midfield three, knowing that none of them had the technical ability to break the press with passing or movement.  They forced America wide, cut the pitch in half, and took the space away that the wide players needed to thrive.

The Dutch knew that America’s strength was in their work ethic and pressing, so the Dutch neutralized that by playing on the counter.  They kept their shape and forced the  Americans to find a way through. Neither manager Berhalter nor the American players on the pitch had the tactical or technical ability to adjust.

When the Dutch got the ball the contrast between the class of each side was easy to see.  The Dutch counters were precise, the movement excellent, and they knew exactly what they were doing.  The US players worked hard…and that’s most of what they did.  They felt as if they were in control of the game, evidenced by reactions like captain Tyler Adams’ post match press conference when he insisted that the USA were better than the scoreline indicated.  He has a point, but the fact remains that the US were thoroughly defeated tactically and seemed to mistake possession and shots for control.

The US has improved in a lot of ways.  We’ve developed into a more possession based side and can press really well on the whole and frustrate the opposition.  Managers like Berhalter and his rumored real life replacement Jesse Marsch, however, mistake possession and pressing alone as elite level football when really all of it has to serve a purpose.  It has to be backed up by player roles and have a clear, cohesive shape and philosophy to attack and defend with.  

“Keeping the ball” and “press high and hard” are not philosophies, they are instructions.  Without more, there is no direction.

In America, we often mistake hard work as a virtue in and of itself.  People brag about their ‘grindset’.  They brag about how busy they are.  The national myth is that of the poor man who takes on four jobs, supports his family, and works his way up to a CEO through simple hard work, determination, and focus. We see ourselves as a meritocracy which sees hard work rewarded and sloth punished (obviously, this is not wrong but it’s also not accurate). That’s why we’ve adopted the Red Bull style of football - press and run!  Go! Go! Go!

Against top level opposition, however, hard work, physical fitness, and determination aren’t enough.  That’s why Jesse Marsch’s NY Red Bulls won several Supporter’s Shield (regular season) titles but not the MLS Cup, never making the final. They’d face other top teams with better tactical players and lose.  That’s why his tenures at RB Leipzig and Leeds United ended in failure. At RB Salzburg he had, by far, the best side in Austria and could dominate teams.

Good, technical and tactical sides, however, know how to adjust and play around a press. Top possession sides will tear through headless chicken pressing. Defensive minded teams know how to absorb pressure, let you exhaust yourself and hit you on the counter.  When your plan is just to work harder than the opposition, and the other team has a real, specific plan and the talent and ability to follow that plan, you will lose.

In the Born to Run preamble, I described the American way of playing as See What Happens football.  As much as the US has progressed past the simple kick and run, it has now turned into press and pass and see what happens.  Our fundamental philosophy has not changed in that we…don’t have one.

This is the challenge before Lindsay. He inherits a solid core of players who have a lot of international experience and are at or around their peak years. Most of them play in Europe and many in the big 5 countries. They are industrious, aggressive, and, as a team, more comfortable with the ball at their feet than just about any USA side in history.

American players have been progressing, but the philosophy hasn’t.

What they lack is creativity, flair, and finishing ability and that is the challenge ahead of Lindsay. With limited play making abilities, he needs the system to be the playmaker. He needs to create a set of roles and movement that will take advantage of each individual's traits, as well as the collective work ethic, to create a cohesive philosophy. That's something the USMNT simply hasn't had.

Nice write up and i totally agree btw after watching all their games in the WC. How's the quality of the newgens coming through?

15 hours ago, 13th Man said:

press and pass and see what happens.  Our fundamental philosophy has not changed in that we…don’t have one

Agreed that a philosophy must be set out. In this day and age, you'll get found out pretty quickly by opposing teams if you don't have a clear intent in playstyle behind which all your personnel can get behind. 

12 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Nice write up and i totally agree btw after watching all their games in the WC. How's the quality of the newgens coming through?

It's only 2025 in game, so the Newgens haven't really come through.  The U23 side is littered with 17-19 year olds who look promising, though, so the US looks to have a bright future.

7 hours ago, haier_fm said:

Agreed that a philosophy must be set out. In this day and age, you'll get found out pretty quickly by opposing teams if you don't have a clear intent in playstyle behind which all your personnel can get behind. 

It's strange to me because we go into incredible detail in terms of not just playstyles but how to counter them in American football, basketball, etc, and yet when we come to [real] football, we think we can just...work hard.  Or we take snippets of elite football tactics without getting the purpose.  It's frustrating.

43 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

Congratulations on the national job! This could well be Lindsay’s gateway to Europe. 

That is the hope!  Lindsay's spent more time stateside than planned, but it's been a fun journey.

You reminded me of one of the other major issues I had when managing a MLS club years ago. We always struggled to put a side out on those days because they never stopped for the international break. The contracts and salaries were a major learning curve, but all good planning was ruined by that international approach.

Nevertheless, you deserve the USMNT job (really irrationally dislike how your countrymen insist on using that abbreviation, sorry) and you must feel confident the boost in reputation will bring you that overdue move to Europe. I wonder if an American-owned (chaired) club in Europe may become an easier pathway? Perfect time to take the job, when co-hosting the WC too. Good luck.

9 hours ago, 13th Man said:

It's only 2025 in game, so the Newgens haven't really come through.  The U23 side is littered with 17-19 year olds who look promising, though, so the US looks to have a bright future.

It's strange to me because we go into incredible detail in terms of not just playstyles but how to counter them in American football, basketball, etc, and yet when we come to [real] football, we think we can just...work hard.  Or we take snippets of elite football tactics without getting the purpose.  It's frustrating.

That is the hope!  Lindsay's spent more time stateside than planned, but it's been a fun journey.

Good to hear, there's also usually one or two good American newgens who pop up in Germany 

5 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

We always struggled to put a side out on those days because they never stopped for the international break.

This certainly can be an issue but it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting. I think because most of Austin’s best players were from powerhouse countries like Argentina and Spain so they didn’t get call ups. It also seemed like Austin’s American and Mexican players have been just under the international level. 
Managing in the MLS is unique in its squad building requirements for sure.

5 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I wonder if an American-owned (chaired) club in Europe may become an easier pathway?

Leeds would make a lot of sense. There’s a lot of American players and it’s part owned by the 49ers American football team. Still, Lindsay is looking to broaden his horizons and isn’t planning on staying anywhere as long as Austin until he reaches the top - or finds a club he can bring there.

And yes, I also hate the USMNT thing, but I think it comes from the fact that our women’s team is excellent and gets talked about as much if not more than the men’s. Unusually, if you said the “national team” people might very well assume you meant the women.

1 hour ago, karanhsingh said:

Good to hear, there's also usually one or two good American newgens who pop up in Germany 

Makes sense - with all the US military bases and connections. It’s also the right place to develop with the emphasis on youth and the horrific state of coaching in the states.

XvjOvyQQr95sE6aDniWX7VWkuqGrXcVg7E6teodV3781jfiSRGRRCibc6461ytUyMgE1IO_0UP1QP9m3-4KCyuAnxCkC_zhkOu5QHkxeCEO4jpebiuiYVxxE1zzsdn8lpx9cQ5f732BCFFH4_NAXg20

Lessons of the recent past

As Brian Lindsay took over the national team, he had a full year to prepare for the 2026 World Cup, but in international management that meant only a handful of matches. With the US hosting, along with Mexico and Canada, it didn’t even have any competitive matches, so Lindsay would have to figure out how best to set up the side based on only a few friendlies.

When taking over, four friendlies were already scheduled. Greece, Mali, Qatar, and the United Arab Emerites, ranked 51st, 36th, 59th and 69th respectively - not exactly the elite of world football. Lindsay would look to arrange matches with some better opposition in 2026, but he would need all the information he could get.

The two previous managers had used very different systems, with (previously covered) Berhalter preferring a pressing and possession 4-3-3, and his replacement, Juan Carlos Osorio, running a 3-4-3 DM wide that emphasized wing play.

Osorio, former Mexico manager, and in charge at Atlanta United in the MLS before taking control of the USMNT late in the summer of 2024, did not cover himself in glory.  His only competitive matches were in the 2025 Gold Cup (North America’s continental competition) where they were humiliated 4-1 by rivals Mexico in the semifinals after barely squeaking by a talented but very flawed Jamaica in the quarterfinals. The minimum expectation for the US in the Gold Cup is the finals, and while their usual opponent is Mexico, the 4-1 defeat in what should have been an even contest was simply not good enough.

The first question was to figure out where Osario went wrong.

Gold Cup Semifinal- Predecessor’s last match in change 

fAjDpqCAP6XDLJHF5QjW8O25HWDjEX_FIQKZTyK638SyYUQKuLa9HN1QbIM8c8dZbl_OfqVt6Uzdl4rycM82ISy5AQyMmd1R71Rftjcr-VdmNiywVMYemGwzoDsrsigQJe04-cJhLr8TwpP6UxrSgJ4

The US team was dominated by Mexico in the Gold Cup semifinal. The stats paint a bad picture - 42% possession, second best in the headers and challenges. The latter two were especially troublesome for a side that prides itself on aggression. What was the issue?

From watching the tape, Lindsay noticed a major issue with the shape Osario favored.

wBuBbL44D_XG9FYndCPqOL7sisZp8wBVAu7Zh4S66-nvk6FDPwA4lSDZ7z6P3XJncZnBH4a4RPryNJsh6oriKQIITnqFh_gquI5ooGqTZtVQRkTWMT7NdDFPhqS2fxEB6q7rS4Yswz6zRJ9Pq3q3Usw

[The above is the default Wing Play tactic out of the box, which is stated as Osario’s philosophy along with a preference for this 3-4-3 DM wide shape. I think one of the midfielders was given a more progressive role and the wingers may have been IWs or possibly IFs as they seem a bit more narrow in the matches I looked at.]

The 3-4-3 (DM Wide) made good use of America’s strength on the wings with solid to excellent WBs and wingers on both sides. The US had two very industrious midfielders in Adams and McKennie, which would, in theory, allow them to overload the flanks, be solid defensively, and still not get overrun in midfield.

However, whether it was an issue of player roles or something else, in practice, it left a massive hole in the middle of the pitch, and Mexico took full advantage.

Wqs3lW2AlmmJsBnUskX0bbt8b5qdc9pMapQ_nGL7pY-nrpMnhNlzmLE6sfMLWp1RhGkrhF2BbA4_qc5DFL0S8rXSSZCMOJN947BGYM-vzCsFUwt9c0Qz29KBETWBhsXbx6Jio6EmD_tFTYg3JxqFGOgAlrh9dEWIOn6lB4qyxj9pnAWVRsoytEG2yjCQ6LJiZLTvDZL_REcSvVIF-39-QnZ89peLcElZYnRsqBTVB9x53FFiDgy3xrtVoGHyX2tQ4S0LAltAR6zXWPmavEVIzmbx0vL-L6eBPtsOmWiROS93cMTtUiI2JQ18FA66gLVW_t4oxn6ymIlQexZafoYQvmICes40F-G5c1BQst0RzGrJDljRicN4rtWGjwYoRSEWkG4ZCRxnC8msmQkXNm3vIV1GbB_TdU3EmH3_4R8xdc5ZPftH02ZFMRKaM5ggRj-lXOKLU

The first two show how much space the Mexican midfielders had right before they created assists for two of Mexico’s four goals, with the green circles showing the closest US players to them.  Both came from deep, right around the halfway line, and both times the CBs were completely beaten by the balls in behind - but it was the midfield that was the real issue.

The far right screenshot shows the moment before the US’s opening goal, but it also shows the massive gap in their midfield.  If this had been blocked and fallen to a Mexican player, they would have had an easy, quick counter.

There were good reasons to use a 3atb, but Lindsay would certainly want to avoid issues like Osario’s sides faced.

Well I guess you WON'T be using the 3-4-3 DM Wingplay.

If in doubt Gegen press either a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 (out of the box) will work fine. (It does wonders for Semi Pro VNL Players in all of my saves)