Limits on wage you can offer during contract negotiation

Played a lot of FM and there's one thing I don't understand that I hope someone can clear up for me.

Why, if I have say $6k of salary cap space, am I limited to the "Advised Max. Basic Wage" of $1.5k? If I only need one player, isn;t it better I get one quality player at $6k rather than 4 poor ones at $1.5k?

Further, who sets this max. wage and is it negotiable somehow?

Thanks in advance!

image.thumb.png.78844793fc50ba956f05fc3851f40098.png

10 hours ago, jfmargolin said:

Why, if I have say $6k of salary cap space, am I limited to the "Advised Max. Basic Wage" of $1.5k? If I only need one player, isn;t it better I get one quality player at $6k rather than 4 poor ones at $1.5k?

Because there's a wage structure in place to control finances. Without it (structure), things can spiral out of control quickly.

What happens if you sign another Important Player and pay him 6k / week? The other 5 will want the same very soon.

If they get it, the Regular Starters will want want higher wages too, because they're close in ability and have a slightly lower playing time promise. So those 5 players will want 3-5k / week. That continues down the order and it ruins your salary cap completely.

The budget and limits are set by the board based on the overall finances of the team  You can approach the board, I assume and ask for a readjustment using any unused transfer budget but with 5 important players and 5 regular starters, you have not got a lot of room for movement there