How to assign squad numbers?

I created a club to play as in the lowest Brazilian division, starting the game with no players.

I've played for two-thirds of a year now in-game, but I haven't had any messages asking me to submit squad numbers. The players I signed have squad numbers during matches.

I have the In-game Editor and it has an option called "Allow Squad Numbers Anytime", which I presume means one can change squad numbers any time, but I can't see how to do this.

How do I assign squad numbers?

3 minutes ago, Colorado said:

Are squad numbers optional or mandatory for the competition?

Where does it say that? 

I've looked in competition Rules tab, but there's no mention of squad numbers. I checked Brazilian top division Rules tab and there's no mention of squad numbers on that page either.

12 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Not all competitions require squad numbers.

Surely, I should be able to assign squad numbers anyway?

Squad numbers can be selected as one of the columns in the squad view. All my players have a hyphen (-) in this column.

I've looked at other clubs in my league. They have squad numbers for this column, although they would have been assigned in the database before the game started. Players signed since the game started, however, also have squad numbers in this column.

I checked out being manager of an English Premier League club. There's a Numbers tab for changing squad numbers in the Squad view. So I know where one should be able to change numbers now.

My game doesn't have this Numbers tab. I checked out being a manager of another club in my league (Brazilian 3rd division) and it also did not have a Numbers tab. Then I checked out being a manager of a top-division club in the country and it did have a Numbers tab.

So maybe I'll get the squad numbers option if/when I get promoted. I don't see why one can't assign squad numbers, anyway.

1 minute ago, Ron Wandle said:

I checked out being manager of an English Premier League club. There's a Numbers tab for changing squad numbers in the Squad view. So I know where one should be able to change numbers now.

My game doesn't have this Numbers tab. I checked out being a manager of another club in my league (Brazilian 3rd division) and it also did not have a Numbers tab. Then I checked out being a manager of a top-division club in the country and it did have a Numbers tab.

So maybe I'll get the squad numbers option if/when I get promoted. I don't see why one can't assign squad numbers, anyway.

Yeah, it's this. 

17 minutes ago, Colorado said:

I know some Brazilian leagues don't have squad numbers. If you are playing in a state competition, my guess is the squad numbers will be requested/used in the national comps. 

I've played and completed this season's Rio State Championship - which includes top-division clubs - and participated in the national cup competition. Now I'm a few games into the national third-tier Serie C division.

I did a quick google on Brazilian squad numbers to see whether lack of squad numbers was a thing in Brazilian football, but couldn't find anything.

I did find out that the numbers associated with particular playing positions is different in Brazilian football, which will be useful if I ever get to assign them.

https://www.football-lineups.com/pics/nums/brm.jpg

https://www.football-lineups.com/numbering/BR

So Roberto Carlos wore a 6, rather than a 3.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/charitycdn/cache/resizedcrop-1057badfe6f00f136d147db79dfd2ba5-840x480.jpg

I also found out that Brazilians don't wear the number 24 for unsavoury reasons I won't go into.