Match 20: England vs USA - ITV1 7PM GMT live from the Al Bayt Stadium

Coulthard's Jaw

I don’t think we played defensively to be fair. The lineup certainly wasn’t defensive.

We just didn’t look like we knew what we were doing in build up and ended up knocking it between the defenders. I really like Declan Rice and he has all the attributes, but he needs some serious coaching. Clearly not used to playing in a possession side.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I don't mind taking a defensive approach, but we weren't very good at it! Allowing your opponent to have several good chances isn't great.

I've been critical of the performance yesterday but USA did not have "several good chances" at all. There was the McKennie chance and that's it. Yeah, Pulisic hit the bar but it wasn't exactly a big chance was it? Outside those two incidents I genuinely don't remember anything else they did apart from a few corners that if Maguire didn't nick away we might have had a problem.

It was mainly offensively we were dismal last night. USA had too much control for most of the first half too but they weren't creating loads of chances during that time.

24 minutes ago, Pukey said:

I've been critical of the performance yesterday but USA did not have "several good chances" at all. There was the McKennie chance and that's it. Yeah, Pulisic hit the bar but it wasn't exactly a big chance was it? Outside those two incidents I genuinely don't remember anything else they did apart from a few corners that if Maguire didn't nick away we might have had a problem.

It was mainly offensively we were dismal last night. USA had too much control for most of the first half too but they weren't creating loads of chances during that time.

They didn't have the chances just because their wingers don't have enough quality.

They had like half a dozen situations with one good pass away from a great scoring chance. Give those same spaces to France and it's game over before the half.

I can't see Southgate not going with back 3 against top teams.