Player Wage Demands

Tyga

Was considering signing a player (Steven Sessegnon) on a free transfer during the off-season. My team (Southend) had just won promotion to the English Championship and the player I was looking at had potential to be a top Championship player and a current ability of League 1. So he looked like a decent player who had some upside in potential to help us stay up in the coming season.

I spoke to the player's agent to find out what their demands would be and was told that the player would want 9.5-12.5k per week plus other requests to strengthen the squad in certain areas. I told the agent that the wage demands were too high but he said they were not interested in dropping their wage demands to a more reasonable level. I gave up on the signing and saw that QPR (who are in League 1) made an offer for the player.

The agent came back to be asking if I wanted to make an offer and I declined. The player signed for QPR on a wage of 2.5K per week! Ridiculous.

Yes, has happened to be before. I presume the club the player signed for is more appealing... though I often play as MUFC and this still happens with a player joining and equal rival for less money and no more guarantee of playing time.

Worth having the Director of Football try to sign the player and see what can be negotiated? You can always cancel the transfer if you aren't happy with the contract/vale etc.