Player wage contract demands upsetting the squad

I'm currently playing with Hamburg, 1st season top of the league and unbeaten, but I have a player who wants a new contract, but the club cannot afford and won't let me offer anywhere near what he wants, so he is unhappy, and now so are the squad who think he should have one which is unsettling the squad, yet there is nothing I can do about it as all the options in the meetings make it sound like my decision and not one option that allows me to sympathize with the players and explain its the club finances to get them on side.  I also noticed this in the Portsmouth save I have which I abandoned due to a bug, as well as players always angry when starting a meeting which is unrealistic as no one starts a meeting when they want something as argumentative, and players who have just signed as fringe or backup players getting the hump when not picked straight away.

Technically you could probably free up some money by letting other players go / selling them.

So despite the fact that you should have better options to explain situations like yours, you actually still do have some responsibilities for the situation.