[Suggestion] Use the GPU to process games.

Vicente14

Is there any technical reason why FM cannot use the GPU to speed up the processing of games?

I was playing away waiting for a day to pass and it occurred to me: During processing the GPU is doing next to nothing because the match engine is not running and the UI is not particularly intensive.

I have a 4090. I use it to run Machine Learning algorithms. I'm confident it is considerably more powerful than the 8700K I have for a CPU.

Any discrete GPU (even a weak one) not being used is wasted processing power. Would it be possible to dump some of the work onto there to decrease processing times? Has it been tried and failed?

• 4 weeks later...
  • SI Staff

While I can't claim to understand the full ins and outs myself, while I know the GPU can be used for more traditional computational loads there would be a lot to consider on this front. Further optimisation for the series moving forward is something we'll always be considering. The reality is though that FM on most database set-ups would be unlikely to exert even an 8700k. FM typically has short bursts of processing requirements and for example on my own set-up which has a 5800X processor, its only putting a load on 6 cores and they don't reach 100% during most processing breaks.