Croatia vs Brazil QF, 3PM GMT Education City Stadium

The_jagster

The first quarter final is an early start for Brazil, as they take on Croatia to see who will take on The Netherlands or Argentina in the semi-final.

CroBra.jpg.d37ef9d7777ffe71c3978b8c18c32d91.jpg

BRaCro.jpg.d4541305908e67db2011d2a816fa93bd.jpg

Previous quarter finals:

Croatia: This is their third appearance in this round, and they have progressed on both previous occasions. In 1998 they downed Germany 3-0, then knocked out hosts Russia on pens in 2018 after a 2-2 draw. 1998 was the last time Croatia won a knockout match in normal time in a major tournament.

Brazil: They have played 14 quarter final matches, including a replay in 1938, although they have not done so well recently, with many defeats to European nations once they reach the last 8. A 2-1 loss to Belgium in 2018 was preceded by a 2-1 victory over Colombia in 2014, but they did beat England in 2002 - their victory over Germany in the final was the last time they beat a European team in a World Cup knockout match.

Previous meetings?

Two world cup meetings in the group stages. A Kaká goal was enough to separate the sides in 2006, in the opening match of the 2014 World Cup Neymar (twice) and Oscar got themselves on the scoresheet after Croatia had taken the lead. Of the starters on that day, Thiago Silva, Dani Alves, Neymar, Lovren, Perisic, Modric and Kovacic can all feature today, Brozovic only made an appearance as a sub in 2014 and Modric was an unused sub in 2006.

(FIFA vids don't embed so you'll have to make do with unofficial highlights of mixed quality)

Edited by The_jagster

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Rob1981 said:

Let’s have Brazil in the final. Forget this talk about easy runs. Beat France, beat Portugal, beat Brazil. Then there can be no doubting Gareth’s achievement.

At this point I'm not sure if you're bantering or actually believe in what you're writing. :lol:

0827A6B1-4304-486E-A1D6-254193526A10.jpeg.24260ab8b3b1a5856bb662431ea336ab.jpeg

Croatia, aka Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. They got lucky against Japan.

The waiting for this match has been the hardest part, and I think Croatia will breakdown here. Expecting a lot of (South) American goals.

Okay, no more lame puns, I promise. Brazil to win.

I think the worst thing for the neutral would be for Croatia to battle their way to a victory on pens, either by keeping a clean sheet or managing a set piece goal. As I said in another thread, I expect this to go the way of the Switzerland game against Brazil, a technically competent team unable to create anything and the question being whether Brazil can break them down.

12 minutes ago, kpain16 said:

Dalić picked the squad to bore Brazil to death, it seems. Midfielders for days, without an actual striker.

Vicente Dal Bosque.

Not particularly hyped, but whenever it's Brazil-Croatia, this thing has to be brought up:

One of greatest anthem performances at big competitions.

Tear in Kranjčar's eye etc.

Edited by GunmaN1905

Has anyone got a weird noise on the game? 

It’s a background noise, kinda sounds like the wife is using a hairdryer upstairs. It’s really aggravating me but it’s definitely the TV. 

The definition of a team that plays up (or down) to opposition's level.

If we only had one pacey winger on the right, I think winning wouldn't be out of question.

Brazil looks like a team from 30 years ago. Defenders that don't participate in the build-up as soon as the ball crosses half-line, midfield that doesn't exist and half a dozen forwards.

If Tite doesn't change his approach drastically, they have no chance to win it all.

One of the forwards has to go out for Bruno or even Fred.

With today's setup, Portugal would destroy them for example.

7 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

Is Juranovic always this good. Playing like the best right back in the world 

No, this is the match that sells him to mid-table EPL club.

But I don't think they'll take the bait, since he's at Celtic and his qualities are well known.

Edited by GunmaN1905