QF4: England vs France, 7PM GMT, Al Bayt Stadium

Darius1998

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With overloads on both flanks we obviously weren’t supposed to be building through the middle so I don’t mind Rice staying central and occupying Griezmann like that tbh. And actually when Griezmann goes to close down Stones, Rice occupies Rabiot which is what makes the pass to Saka possible!

That clip was a perfect example of why we needed a Rashford type player on the field though. Saka needed a run to pass to.

11 hours ago, Bootador said:

I think this is a really good clip highlighting what Stones is good at, we need to stop playing him as full back at City now Walker is back fit. Also shows Rice doing nothing as per usual.

I keep looking at the clip wondering if someone else could have given Saka an option other than a shot with his weaker foot.

1 minute ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Yes! What is Foden doing? I think even Sterling on that side probably gives a better option.

Not sure what Foden is doing, but as soon as he makes that central run Shaw should be busting his ass to run into the huge open space too. He has plenty of time to get there but just… cba jogs it.

12 minutes ago, Smallen said:

Not sure what Foden is doing, but as soon as he makes that central run Shaw should be busting his ass to run into the huge open space too. He has plenty of time to get there but just… cba jogs it.

Bellingham as well maybe? It's pretty mad how rattled France were, you have 6 players there converging on Saka :D 

I always like having the wide men cutting inside on their stronger foot while the fullbacks overlap.

Saw plenty of Shaw pushing up but not sure I remember Walker crossing the half way line. Presumably was told to stick to Mbappe for the entire match. 

Has any explanation been given about why Saka came off?  People were speculating he had a knock or was run ragged but I’m not sure if Southgate has ever explained it (or even been asked). If it was purely tactical then it looks like a bad decision. 

31 minutes ago, Smallen said:

Just naturally makes a central run as that’s the space to run into when Saka initially turns, and Foden is more central to start off with too. If he suddenly runs wide left instead, the passing angle isn’t on at all because he’d need to go otherside of Kounde.

Like I said before with Kane long term, you need him to be there and make those runs, so someone can stay wide when another player picks the ball up in areas where Saka got it. 

All tiny details, but probably the difference at top club level with those players and international level. Probably for Man City, KDB does what Saka does, Haaland does what Foden does, and Foden is wider, and there’s also another winger wide which means not as many go towards the one on the ball without offering up space. Having someone for us who can get the ball in those areas and then not lose one from outwide is next evolution we need.

Baffled more by Kane in that clip looking at it more. Started to make the run to pull Upmanecano away to make space for Saka, then just stopped, so Upmanecano realised he could leave Kane and get back to put pressure on Saka to take the shot more quickly. 

2 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

btw lot of talk about number 10s, quite possible that's where Saka ends up for us at club level.

Surely Odegaard and Smith-Rowe will play there far more that means Saka stays out wide? Not that I've watched Arsenal properly for ages mind you so I'll trust your judgement more :D