FM23 match engine v FM22 match engine

On 15/12/2022 at 13:46, herne79 said:

Trying to learn how the ME works is not relevant.  Understand football, not the ME.  Then consider how tactics work in combination with player attributes.

The demo is perfectly fine for experimenting with tactics and players 👍.

Football common sense goes along way, but to suggest FM is anything other than a game is beyond me, of course the match engine plays a big factor in success and enjoyment, thou i must say i always stick to my fav formation and tactics in any FM and always seems to be successful.But to suggest you can apply any modern day tactic through common sense and football knowledge to any football manager match engine is not the case at all, every FM match engine plays slightly different, from wingers out scoring fowards and vice versa.

6 hours ago, iAlwaysWin said:

Football common sense goes along way, but to suggest FM is anything other than a game is beyond me, of course the match engine plays a big factor in success and enjoyment, thou i must say i always stick to my fav formation and tactics in any FM and always seems to be successful.

I never suggested FM is anything other than a game?  To clarify, if you have a basic understating of football and couple that with some knowledge of the tactical strategies we can employ in game in combination with the players, it’s pretty much all we need.  Yes each ME has its own vagaries but fundamentally the ME just outputs a football match based on our inputs.  You even say yourself that you always stick to your favourite tactics in any FM.

Trying to “learn” the ME is just an added complication in a game which is relatively simplistic.  It’s us managers who tend to overcomplicate things.

6 hours ago, iAlwaysWin said:

But to suggest you can apply any modern day tactic through common sense and football knowledge to any football manager match engine is not the case at all, every FM match engine plays slightly different, from wingers out scoring fowards and vice versa.

Spend a little time looking over some of the guides and articles in the Tactics forum.  You’ll see there that many people have been successfully playing with all sorts of different modern day tactics (and some not so modern) for many iterations of FM.  Some systems may indeed be easier to set up (eg., gegenpress) but pretty much any well thought out system which compliments the available players can be every bit as successful 👍.

On 15/12/2022 at 13:11, XaW said:

As @DarJwrites, try the demo. There are certainly issues, but personally I think it's vastly superiour to FM22. That said, there could be things that you find that are bigger issues than me, so have a go with the beta and make your own decisions. You're likely to get anything on the scale based on personal preference.

Fully agree with @XaW- I honestly find the ME in FM23 to be a vast improvement over FM22.