Number of teams in competition doesn't match expected teams from ranking

rmpMarko

Hi all,

I have a problem with the main cup in the Uzbek league system I am trying to unlock.

so, it is a bit complicated.

stage 0, qualifying round :16 teams from the 3 division, knock out stage 16 --> 8 --> 4 (semi finals and the 2 winners of semi finals qualify for stage 1)

stage 1, group stage:  24 teams in total, the two from stage 0, and then all teams from first 2 divisions (apart from winner of the league and winner of the cup. if same team, runner up of league) the 24 teams are divided in 6 groups of 4. first 2 of each group pass and 2 best third place (total 14 teams - I know how to get best third and it works, not the issue in this case)

stage 2, knock out stage, 14 teams from stage 1 + winner of the last league and winner of last cup. 16 teams in total.

round of 16, quarter finals, semi finals and final.

When I go to verify it gives me this error: Number of teams in competition (40) doesn't match expected teams from ranking (16)

Now, I am not really an expert in rankings but I tried to put them. The problem is, first not sure if they are set right and second how do you set rankings if in the group stage the qualifications are dynamic? for some third placed teams the competition end for others it goes on. 

Please see file in attached

uzbekistan 2.0.fmf

You need to fill out the Ranking Level Info page.
20230102144053_1.thumb.jpg.e25a14029a452398401c3588c3e19f25.jpg

That's where you set up what each ranking means, eg. competition winner, qualified for semi finals etc. and how mean teams are supposed to get each ranking. The number of teams here needs to add up to the total in the competition, that'll fix the error.

3 hours ago, rusty217 said:

You need to fill out the Ranking Level Info page.
20230102144053_1.thumb.jpg.e25a14029a452398401c3588c3e19f25.jpg

That's where you set up what each ranking means, eg. competition winner, qualified for semi finals etc. and how mean teams are supposed to get each ranking. The number of teams here needs to add up to the total in the competition, that'll fix the error.

Thanks for the answer! 

At least i know where to work. Im not too bad with the editor but i have very Little knowledge about the rankings! Coul you explain to me a bit more in detail How to set them? Please. For example the First or First two for each stage and then i can go down If similar. Also What about the ones arriving third in Group stage? Some Will pass and others Will not

Edited by rmpMarko

2 hours ago, rmpMarko said:

Thanks for the answer! 

At least i know where to work. Im not too bad with the editor but i have very Little knowledge about the rankings! Coul you explain to me a bit more in detail How to set them? Please. For example the First or First two for each stage and then i can go down If similar. Also What about the ones arriving third in Group stage? Some Will pass and others Will not

I think you're rankings within stages/rounds are mostly fine. Although I'd suggest adding highest/lowest rankings too. They're only needed for teams progressing in the tournament, so teams knocked out can just have a current ranking since it will be their final ranking. Highest should be whatever the best ranking they can achieve is (typically 0, unless it's a 3rd place playoff or something) and lowest is what it would be if they get knocked out in the next round, or finish bottom in a group stage. So the lowest ranking should match the current ranking for the next round's loser.

As for setting up ranking levels, you just need something like this:

20230102203604_1.thumb.jpg.30840d130907fc28100113a0bf7aef79.jpg

Just start from the top with the best ranking (0) set that for 1 team and set it as Competition Winner. The next ranking (1) will be for the losing finalist, so also one team put the Main Stage Name in and set the type to Team managed to qualify to this stage, then it will recognise they qualified for the stage indicated. Next ranking (2) will be for the losing semi finalists, there were 2 of them so set the number of teams to 2, set the Main Stage Name and Team managed to qualify again. Keep doing that until you have rankings to cover all the teams/rounds, adjusting the number of teams each time for how many were knocked out at each stage.

For your Group Stage, you've already set it to recognise 2 extra teams as "promotion" teams, so set it up like this:

20230102204035_1.thumb.jpg.0967bfccf285423b2db4d5c60fd5788b.jpg

That will assign the extra 2 "promotion" teams the same rankings as the teams that qualified by finishing in the top 2 of their group. In ranking levels just adjust the number of teams that have ranking 5 accordingly, so instead of 6 x 2 = 12, it'll be 12 - the 2 that went through = 10 teams for ranking 5.

7 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

I think you're rankings within stages/rounds are mostly fine. Although I'd suggest adding highest/lowest rankings too. They're only needed for teams progressing in the tournament, so teams knocked out can just have a current ranking since it will be their final ranking. Highest should be whatever the best ranking they can achieve is (typically 0, unless it's a 3rd place playoff or something) and lowest is what it would be if they get knocked out in the next round, or finish bottom in a group stage. So the lowest ranking should match the current ranking for the next round's loser.

As for setting up ranking levels, you just need something like this:

20230102203604_1.thumb.jpg.30840d130907fc28100113a0bf7aef79.jpg

Just start from the top with the best ranking (0) set that for 1 team and set it as Competition Winner. The next ranking (1) will be for the losing finalist, so also one team put the Main Stage Name in and set the type to Team managed to qualify to this stage, then it will recognise they qualified for the stage indicated. Next ranking (2) will be for the losing semi finalists, there were 2 of them so set the number of teams to 2, set the Main Stage Name and Team managed to qualify again. Keep doing that until you have rankings to cover all the teams/rounds, adjusting the number of teams each time for how many were knocked out at each stage.

For your Group Stage, you've already set it to recognise 2 extra teams as "promotion" teams, so set it up like this:

20230102204035_1.thumb.jpg.0967bfccf285423b2db4d5c60fd5788b.jpg

That will assign the extra 2 "promotion" teams the same rankings as the teams that qualified by finishing in the top 2 of their group. In ranking levels just adjust the number of teams that have ranking 5 accordingly, so instead of 6 x 2 = 12, it'll be 12 - the 2 that went through = 10 teams for ranking 5.

Thanks i am going to try now. I have another question (sorry) as stage 0 and stage 2 has same stage names (round of 16,quarter finals and semifinals) is it worthy to change those or do i just need to put:

For stage 0, main stage name qualifying round and then substage round of 16,quarters, semi.. 

And for stage 2, knockout play off round and again substages round of 16,quarters, semi and finals

3 minutes ago, rmpMarko said:

Thanks i am going to try now. I have another question (sorry) as stage 0 and stage 2 has same stage names (round of 16,quarter finals and semifinals) is it worthy to change those or do i just need to put:

For stage 0, main stage name qualifying round and then substage round of 16,quarters, semi.. 

And for stage 2, knockout play off round and again substages round of 16,quarters, semi and finals

It's really up to you. It's just how it's displayed in board confidence and media messages etc. It gets the teams from their ranking, not from the round name you put there, so duplicates shouldn't have any impact.

Although having a qualifying round name in there too just to differentiate it may make things easier. Don't want your board to demand you get to the semifinals with your lower division club and not know whether they mean the qualifying semifinals or actually the final 4 in the whole cup.

37 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

It's really up to you. It's just how it's displayed in board confidence and media messages etc. It gets the teams from their ranking, not from the round name you put there, so duplicates shouldn't have any impact.

Although having a qualifying round name in there too just to differentiate it may make things easier. Don't want your board to demand you get to the semifinals with your lower division club and not know whether they mean the qualifying semifinals or actually the final 4 in the whole cup.

Want to say a huge thank you as it worked and all leagues now verified. I think i Will implement rankings on my databases! In the eventuality a 3rd league team wins the cup (nearly impossibile) is My cup the following year not going to start? Just worried about this and How to put backup Solutions really

Edited by rmpMarko

• 1 year later...

In my case, even with the correct configuration for best third place teams' ranking levels as shown by rusty217, the error still occurs. Turns out it was caused by selecting Stage Flags - Store Stats. Removing this flag eliminated the error.