Improve defensive metrics

Hello all, 

I hope you might be able to guide me as I am trying to get a handle on Football Manager 23. In a nutshell, I am struggling with my defence in my current save. Every game we concede a goal and the tackling statistics do not look great. As per the stats comparison we are just average on the tackling side. So I would somehow expect this, but is there maybe any other method I can use to tackle/clear the ball more often and more successful. I am attaching a couple of screenshots of my save with Arka Gdynia. 

We play rather ball dominant with a lots of possession, but it seems that the AI is using perfectly the channels. We have the highest OPPDA in the league (so we are pressing intensively, too intensively ?) and have lost the least amount of possession. It really seems that every time a progressive pass is played my defence is shaky. And I do not really know, what to do :/ 

Thanks ! 

Bildschirm­foto 2023-01-11 um 17.14.10.png

Bildschirm­foto 2023-01-11 um 17.14.26.png

Bildschirm­foto 2023-01-11 um 17.14.38.png

Bildschirm­foto 2023-01-11 um 17.15.10.png

Bildschirm­foto 2023-01-11 um 17.16.27.png

Bildschirm­foto 2023-01-11 um 17.20.32.png

If you consistently have lots of possession, your defensive metrics are going to look bad through no fault of your own (think about it, you can't tackle or intercept to win the ball back if you always have the ball). Right now I don't remember if the data hub shows average XGa per shot, but that would be the first stat I'd look at.

I think that overall you're doing fine, show us how you do as the season progresses.

Also look at how you have your overall tactics set up.  I don't know the players but what are there actual stats?  Do you have/use opposition instructions?  Paolo Maldini and Franco Baresi conceded just 29 goals in 196 matches together, barely a tackle made between them half the time, as the simply didn't need to make them a lot of the time.  The art of tackling is actually a fairly recent modern thing.

As for goals conceded, been a long running thing now that the opposition will always score from their one shot on target, just have to chalk it up...if you're dominating, scoring and winning comfortably, I really wouldn't worry (personally) about metrics or charts (as annoying as conceding can be).

Edited by Maviarab

Thank you for your input ! Very much appreciated. I am in line with the expectations of my board, but having the fourth highest payroll I have thought that I could have a shot to win directly promotion. (It is my first season with the club.)

I completely agree with the opposition scoring from their one or two shoots. But I have the feeling that in this years edition it is really annoying. I guess I am just frustrated, that I cannot string together a series of 4-5 wins. I use opposition instructions mainly to pressure the worst passer with low decision. 

I have actually the second best defense in the league, but after playing FM22 I might not be used to concede a goal every game. 

I will take a look at the anticipation and composure stats of my two Central Defenders. 

Good luck with your saves !! 

Thanks.